I'll show you mine if you'll show me yours ;o)) xx

JanD

maintaining since June'09
Okay .. those Tats and piercings. Some wanted to see them so here they are.

The first tat I designed myself ... All my kids names begin with J as does mine, my husband's and his daughter's so it's a J with 4 hearts ... hedging my bets here the Js could be me and the 3 kids, the 4 kids, John and my 3 kids or whatever ;) :D

The second is the sanskrit OM .... explanation available if you want it.

And then there's my nose piercing, as well as the 3 in my ears. I am not holding my head on in the photograph - or strangling myself ... merely trying to disguise the turkey neck :( xx

Attachments

• DSCF1775 (Small).JPG
    DSCF1775 (Small).JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 191
  • DSCF1777 (Small).JPG
    DSCF1777 (Small).JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 153
  • DSCF1780 (Small).JPG
    DSCF1780 (Small).JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 150
I love the piercings, really do, but I dont think I would ever have any more, I am such a wimp, I only have my ears pierced once!

Tats are nice, I am still debating to have one, might leave it until next year and see how I feel then. Did they hurt much?

The one on my ankle hurt more than the one on my shoulder - less meat ;) - I ALMOST asked him to stop, or give it a rest at least but I didn't and it was fine. I should add that I'm a terrible baby and have a ridiculously low pain threshold.

I WILL say that - if, for any reason the hole in my nose closed over there is NO WAY I would do it again!!!!! OW!!!!! :) xx

You rebel Jan!! :rotflmao: Whats the explanation of the sanskrit one?

I will get a pic of the tat i have on my hip. Its about 8 years old now so needs a bit of a touch up but noone sees it so who cares! :giggle:

Heres the tat i want on my ankle. My friend drew it for me and we've been friends for 20 years so its a nice little touch that she drew it :) The reason behind it is that i have 8 flowers, one for each stone i lost last year and the butterfly as when i lost the 8stone i felt 'free' in a way ..... yada yada cliche i know! :giggle:

Attachments

• tattoo.jpg
    tattoo.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 229
Love the ideas behind the tattoo Tanya, I think they're great when they really mean something like that.

Had hubby's name (Jon) tattooed on my wedding ring finger last summer and I love it. It's right underneath my wedding ring. He had Bev tattooed on his too. Love them!

Thinking of getting another one for my girls but not sure what yet. Thinking of getting some blossoms and their names intertwined through it on my wrist. Thought if it was on my wrist it would be on my pulse which leads straight to my heart! Not sure yet though.

I think that's lovely Tan and your idea too Bev. :)

I'll explain about the OM later on xx

I have 3 tattoos and love them! Would like more but hubby wont let me :(. I also used to be a bit of a piercing addict. Used to have my ears, the tops of my ear, eyebrow, tounge, nipple ( naughty I know! ) , the funny cartilage bit of my ear ( forgot what it's called ) and last christmas I got my nose done. Now I have only got my nose and all my ear piercing still in. Thought I should be a bit sensible now I'm a married lady! I have got love, hope and peace tattoed in arabic on the back of my neck and the J and Z in arabic on my wrists. I would like to note this is not in honour of the rapper JZ but in honour of two very important people in my life!
Hubby has got a massive tribal all the way up from his elbow to his chest and shoulder which I have to admit is very sexy yum yum! He is the biggest girl when it comes to pain so I did actually laugh at him a lot when he got it done!
T x

HaHa ... let's see some piccies of the tats then ... his as well!!! :D xx

Lol :) Will post mine later. Think he might object to me posting his. But hey he is in another country atm. What he don't know won't hurt him!
T x

If ya don't want to go through all this just go down to the bottom ;) xx

The Meaning of Om

Before the beginning, the Brahman (absolute reality) was one and non-dual. It thought, "I am only one -- may I become many." This caused a vibration which eventually became sound, and this sound was Om. Creation itself was set in motion by the vibration of Om. The closest approach to Brahman is that first sound, Om. Thus, this sacred symbol has become emblematic of Brahman just as images are emblematic of material objects.
The vibration produced by chanting Om in the physical universe corresponds to the original vibration that first arose at the time of creation. The sound of Om is also called Pranava, meaning that it sustains life and runs through Prana or breath. Om also represents the four states of the Supreme Being. The three sounds in Om (AUM) represent the waking, dream and deep sleep states and the silence which surrounds Om represents the "Turiya" state.
Because the first of the three states of consciousness is the waking state, it is represented by the sound "A" pronounced like "A" in accounting. Because the dream state of consciousness lies between the waking and the deep sleep states, it is represented by the letter "U" which lies between the "A" and "M". This "U" is pronounced like the "U" in would. The last state of consciousness is the deep sleep state and is represented by "M" pronounced as in "sum." This closes the pronunciation of Om just as deep sleep is the final stage of the mind at rest. Whenever Om is recited in succession there is an inevitable period of silence between two successive Oms. This silence represents the "fourth state" known as "Turiya" which is the state of perfect bliss when the individual self recognizes his identity with the supreme.

The Symbol Om

om-sanskrit.gif

Just as the sound of Om represents the four states of Brahman, the symbol Om written in Sanskrit also represents everything. The material world of the waking state is symbolized by the large lower curve. The deep sleep state is represented by the upper left curve. The dream state, lying between the waking state below and the deep sleep state above, emanates from the confluence of the two. The point and semicircle are separate from the rest and rule the whole. The point represents the turiya state of absolute consciousness. The open semicircle is symbolic of the infinite and the fact that the meaning of the point can not be grasped if one limits oneself to finite thinking.

If you've ploughed through all that - well done ;) and remember you did AAAAAARRRRRRRRSK ;)

If you couldn't be bothered I don't blame you really, but it means a lot to me.

Simply put the symbol 'OM' represents the whole - 'All that Is in the whole of the Universe' and I wear it to signify that I am part of that whole.

Doncha wish I'd just put that last sentence in?? :8855: :giggle: xx

Wow Jan. Yeh I think the last sentence would have done it fine!!!! Bit of the subject but have you always been a spiritualistic sort of person? It is something that really fascinates me!
T x

Yeah I sort of have ... it was always inside and I've always been fascinated by spiritualism - always 'known' there's the 'other side' and been interested in Tarot and suchlike but it was in 2001 that Reiki found me and it all came to the fore.
The 'About Us' page on my website www.spiritofreiki.co.uk tells the tale I won't bore everyone with another long post ;)
Come to think of it I must update the site soon! It's been a while.

What are you interested in? xx

I did ask and glad i did! I love finding out little things like this! :D

Bev, do it! Such a lovely meaning.
Can't wait to see some more tats! Im fascinated! :giggle:

Tan ... I've had to come back - even after a couple of hours I couldn't stop thinking .... I KNOW it isn't how you meant it ... I KNOW you would never have meant anything derogatory and I KNOW you'd be mortified to think you might have offended me in any way.... but 'LITTLE things like this' stopped me in my tracks a bit. To me this is 'where we have come from, why we are here, where we go back to, the meaning of life' so to me, you can see it is anything but 'little'.

I know this is me being hypersensitive so don't even think you might have to apologise because you don't. I just felt the need to clarify... Lovesyaloads kid ;) :D xx

Ah sorry Jan!!! :eek: I didn't mean it as something 'little' just like a fact or piece of info that i never knew before.

Im glad you didn't take offence and glad you feel you can just clarify it and know i wont take offence either. Thats how friendships should be imho! :)

I would definatly be mortified if i ever offended you or any of the other gals on here!

xxxxx

Gosh, all you girls and your tats. Would never have the courage for anything like that. I think it is lovely to have them when there is a meaning in them which is very personal to you. I am always intrigued to watch Miami Ink. The artistry is amazing!
Jan, I am delighted to learn the meaning of Om. Every day is a good day but it's a great day when you learn something new. so cheers.

Happy to be of service :) xx

I found that explanation really interesting and really glad I now know what it means, it sort of makes sense to me too!

I like learning new things that I had no idea about before, always good to learn something new.

Back