Is 1000 calories a day safe ?

Mr Creosote

Am going to India in March 2009. Will not enjoy heat/beach at current weight.
Am attempting to lose 6 stone in 6 months without using a meal replacements scheme.
Am gonna try the EL diet.
Will keep you all informed as to my progress.

1st sept 2008...Current weight 19st 0lbs
Aim..By mid March 13st.

Is it possible do you think ?
Any tips ?

Last edited:
I did this a few years back and also exercised 4/5 times a week for about 1hr - 1hr and 15mins during these sessions and I lost 7 kilos in 8 weeks and kept it off for 2 years before I got lazy with the exercise!!!!

I'm thinking about going back onto it but about 1100 cal a day. I dont adjust for the exercise either just stick to the calories.

Good luck. On average it worked out to be 1lb - 2.1lbs a week loss.

Bren
X

I would advise caution when dropping your calories too low too fast, after the initial burst your body may think you are starving to death and try to hang onto the nutrients (and fat) in everything you eat. I have read that 1200 calories is the minimum for your body to do it's thing (keep your heart beating, lungs breathing, brain getting enough blood, etc) - but I don't know if it's accurate or not because I have seen a lot of people do the very-low calorie diet for 4 weeks, switch, and go back on it after a certain amount of time.

Maybe consult your doctor? Or y
ou may want to check Food Focus to see where you should be at calorie-wise to meet your goal; it takes your age, gender, weight, height and how much time you have to reach your goal into consideration. Very easy to use and it's free.

Good luck!

I wouldn't advise it as long-term it will harm your body. I know people do successfully lose using VLCD, but I don't know statistically how many keep the weight off? Its great that you have a goal, that should keep you motivated, but try & do it sensibly? There are many online calculators that can give you an accurate idea of how many cals you CAN have a day and still lose weight.

1,000 calories is generally considered a little too low, unless there is a formula that includes everything else you need. Don't really know what the EL diet consists of, but without supplements of some kind it's hard to get everything you need in 1,000 cals.

Seems like Bren had luck with it though :clap:. Just make sure you really research it, so you stay well and don't have too much trouble keeping the weight off.

Personally I think 1000 calories is way too low, whether your body is getting the required nutrients and vitamins or not. You will undoubtably lose weight, but most of it is going to be muscle and not body fat, which should be your goal. You may get down to your ideal weight but you run the risk of looking like a 'skinny fat person'.. with no muscle, a large body fat percentage and a lot of loose skin.

Unless you are genetically gifted your body will find it hard to lose more than 2lb of body fat a week, anything more will be lean muscle mass. Also when you reach your desired weight your metabolism will be greatly decreased. It would not have had to work very hard processing the little food it has been given and will be running so slowly, even if you eat small amounts you will find it hard to keep it off and will be fighting hard not to put the weight back on.

I know this isn't what you wanted to hear but the best solution for weight loss is regular eating of the RIGHT types of foods, coupled with a good exercise plan. Ideally, you should eat enough calories so you are losing no more than 1-2lb per week. This will keep the fires of your metabolism burning throughout weight loss, helps you keep muscle mass and will make it easier to keep it all off once you do reach your goal.

Back