is this forever?

sweet-like-coco

I am really scared of regaining the weight once I am at goal and my problem is I love bad food. I love takeaways, I love chocolate, I love krispy kreme doughnuts. Will I ever be able to indulge in a large amount of food? Can I have scheduled "binge days" say once a month as long as I am good for the rest or is this a No No? I am really starting to miss food :(

hiya,

i feel exactly the same as you what doesnt help is seeing there is lots of people on this site that have lost loads of weight before but have regained and now back on the diet, i understand that everyones circumstances are different and i am not judging anybody who has restarted i just worry thats whats gonna happen to me too.

youll never be able to eat what you use to if you want to maintain your fab new figure, the way i see it eat in moderation have those things you love but not everynight and also increase your exercise maybe even count calories to begin with so you know exactly what youre putting in i think as long as you stay under 1500 cals a day you wont put weight on, if you know youre gonna have that pizza or chinese then cut back youre calories for a couple of days afterwards. this is what im planning on doing when i get to goal.

dont worry about it youll have a new wardobe full of clothes in a lovely slimmer size, just dont go back to buying the size up cos youre current size is getting tight thats where it all goes pear shaped lol.

hope ive not rambled too much!!

mel xxx

Will I ever be able to indulge in a large amount of food? Can I have scheduled "binge days" say once a month as long as I am good for the rest or is this a No No? I am really starting to miss food :(

It's a no-no. That doesn't mean you can't enjoy foods you love, even those that aren't particularly healthy, but you will certainly struggle to maintain if you don't find out why you would want to eat large amounts/binge.

I do worry about that too but I think so long as you realise you need to change your eating habbits and don't just think I am at goal now thats it, then you should be fine, I guess it is about moderation as they say, everyone has the off takeaway etc but not everyone does this every day, I am hoping that by sticking to a normal 3 meals a day and the odd treat, I will be able to maintain.

I am really scared of regaining the weight once I am at goal and my problem is I love bad food. I love takeaways, I love chocolate, I love krispy kreme doughnuts. Will I ever be able to indulge in a large amount of food? Can I have scheduled "binge days" say once a month as long as I am good for the rest or is this a No No? I am really starting to miss food :(

The choice really is yours :)

But...if you want to become slim and healthy and stay there you have to accept that if you are drawn to high-calorie "bad" foods then you cannot eat all you like whenever you like and stay slim. Sorry. There is no fairy godmother to make your wish come true - it may be "unfair" but it is what it is.

You have to decide what you want more - a slim and healthy body, or regular "bad" foods whenever you fancy them with an overweight body and unhappy mind to go with it.

I don't know about you but if I was capable of stopping at one binge day a month I wouldn't have needed Cambridge to sort me out...

xx

The way i see it, if i feel like chocolate (after goal) my time on ss will have educated me enough to know i can have one piece and not a truck load.
I think it can help to incorporate some of the theories on other diets, e.g Paul Mc Kenna, as in eat slowly and stop when your full etc

You have to ask yourself why you want to 'binge' instead of just treating yourself. That would be the issue u need to address maybe. I think moderation is a key word. x

once you reach goal your stomache will have shrunk anyway so youll never be able to eat as much as you use to and i might sound harsh saying this but a normal sized bar of choc has 300cals and loads of fat and teh way it sounds from your posts you want to be at goal but still eat what you want, if youre that worried about it then dont eat it, im not trying to give you a hard time but you need to realise we are all doing diets cos weve eaten too much of the wrong food in the past and if you go back to eating large choc bars and the rest then you will regain no doubt about it.

take one day at a time espec if youve just started the diet. dont think about food cos it will drive you mad and youll end up having a binge.

sorry if i sounded to harsh xx

When you get to maintaining weight, surely you'd be doing exercise, so if you knew you wanted to have a bad food day then you could make sure you upped your exercise that week to compensate it a lil bit

...But when I say binge I dont necessaqrily mean eating a whole pizza alone...but for example if I want chocolate could I have a medium sized bar instead of a lousy 6 piece bar?

One "medium" size bar of choccy once a month wouldn't really be a "binge" day would it? Therefore I am guessing that when you posted your original question you had more than that in mind, either consciously or subconciously ;)

If you don't work out what is driving your brain to think that a normal sized choocy bar is lousy and that you need a larger one, I doubt very much you would be disciplined enough to stop at that - I certainly wouldn't.

Not saying you can't enjoy the odd treat once you've finished CD but if you don't work out why quantity is so important for you as much as quality then it's more than likely you'll regain some or all of the weight you lose.

xx

You will be surprised when once at goal, your attitude, tastes and needs will have completely changed x

You will be surprised when once at goal, your attitude, tastes and needs will have completely changed x

Agree!

I don't really have huge cravings for food like I used to and it all tastes different!!

The key to the bad foods is moderation ;-) You can have some choc, crisps, pizza.. a doughnut.. just don't have a shopping cart full of it! ;-) Have a bit for the taste and the enjoyment and then stop! It will take practice but you can do it!

I always feared I'd never be able to eat ''bad'' foods again! I was seriously upset about not having had a ''last meal'' before starting CD because I really thought I'd never be able to have naughty treats anymore!

Now I am slimmer, older (cough cough 6months) and soooooo much wiser (more coughing!! ;):p) I realise I can have anything I want as long as it fits and as long as it's in moderation.

You'll be just fine! :)

x

You are so right...But when I say binge I dont necessaqrily mean eating a whole pizza alone...but for example if I want chocolate could I have a medium sized bar instead of a lousy 6 piece bar?

Ah, that's not a binge then. Not even overeating :D Yes, you can have a bar of choc :cool:

The way i see it, if i feel like chocolate (after goal) my time on ss will have educated me enough to know i can have one piece and not a truck load.

Ummm. Hope so. Don't think it often goes that way though. SS is one thing, learning how to eat properly is another.

once you reach goal your stomache will have shrunk anyway so youll never be able to eat as much as you use to

Bet I could if I tried :D

you will certainly struggle to maintain if you don't find out why you would want to eat large amounts/binge
Exactly what I was planning to say once I'd read the first post.
You need to try and identify why you want to eat all the 'bad food', what it is about it that draws you to eat it.

Food is a very emotional thing; overeating, comfort eating and always making the bad decision with regards as to what to eat almost always stems from emotional issues. What is it that seperates those who can happily eat a salad for dinner and those who come home from work and eat 1500+ cals in a pizza meant for 4 people? It's all in the head.

The human body will never, EVER, prompt you to eat chocolate; that idea and decision comes 100% from your head. All your body does it inform you that it requires nutrition; what you do with that information, it entirely your decision.

So, learn your triggers, be that stress, boredom, anger, tiredness, lonliness, depression, anxiety, or whatever. And then use the time in anstinance to start learing how to deal with those emotions without using food as a crutch/suppressant.

for example if I want chocolate could I have a medium sized bar instead of a lousy 6 piece bar?
This is a prime example of where you need to really change your thinking. Why is 6 (SIX!) pieces of chocolate 'lousy'? And what is a "medium" sized bar? 12 pieces? 18 pieces? What do those extra 4 or 6 pieces do for you that the first 6 pieces don't, besides make you fatter faster?

To my mind now, a medium sized bar IS one of the 6-piece bars; a small would be something like a single milky way, and no way will I *ever* buy one of the 320g of larger bars again, those things are just ridiculous and sit on the shelves begging for people to get fat.

Try thinking of it in terms of the actual *content* of the choc bar;
the calories in 6 blocks of Dairy Milk make up over 20% of the fat you should have in an ENTIRE day, not to mention containing over 40% of the saturated fats you should have in one day, and a shocking 30% of the sugar you should have in one day; looking at it that way, suddenly 6 blocks doesn't seem so lousy. In fact, it's quite scary that something we can eat so mindlessly can constitude upwards of one-third our RDA of some things!

If I remember rightly from your other posts, you are very new to the diet yes? (first week even?) and so some of the things mentioned above might come off as sounding "high and mighty" on my part, but I assure you that as your program progresses, and your mental attitudes change, you will thinking and feeling the same way as so many of us now do.

The change doesn't come overnight, and it takes hard work and dedication. You have to *want* it more than anything. And not just to lose the weight, it goes far beyond that. The loss is merely the initial stage.
A few months of abstinance is merely the pre-cursor to years and years of maintaining, so putting in the groundwork of changing your mentality is essential to longer-term success.

But as I said, all this will come along and happen to you as you progress with the program. For now, just concentrate on the abstinance and the rest will come from self-examination, reading and posting on here, and the changes you see and feel in yourself will alter your mentalities too :)

would I still be able to go out for a meal and have a burger and fries once in a while?
of course you can, but you have to be aware of what it will mean.
will you cut the calories the few days before, or after to compensate for it?

if you're not going to compensate for the additional calories, fats etc a McD's will provide, what are you going to do? additional exercise that week?

or could you make your own healthier version using fresh meat, healthy buns and fresh salads with home-made or oven-cooked chips? all of which is far healthier than anything cooked in a deep-fryer on on a fry-top used in restaurants.

will you be able to just have the burger, or will it trigger you to have the mcflurry as desert, with the high-fat high-sugar milkshake with the meal? Can you get a small fries and be happy with it, or would you have to have the large one?

all these things have to be considered, and I for one am a real believer that, having been overweight and pporly eating for so long, it will never become completely naturual to me to eat properly; this sort of thing I will have to be considering for everything I decide to eat from now on.

but I'll gladly do it, if I means I stay healthy and happy with my weight :)

Thank you so much for your reply. Now that I see other people have done it, I too can do it right? I am so desperate to lose the weight. I just need my mindset to change in the long run and I have tried so many things, even hypnotherapy, but it hasn't worked for me. Maybe the cambridge approach of not eating for 12 weeks is the answer to finding a better relationship with food..

I think the real truth is that this, although not in such an extreme form such as Sole Source, is forever.

Although I'm just beginning my weight loss journey, and I haven't even lost my first 10 lbs yet, I realize I will have to be on some sort of diet for the rest of my life.

That doesn't mean that I won't be able to have a treat now and again, and it doesn't mean I will never be able to have another cheeseburger with french fries. What it does mean is that I will have to walk a very careful balance for the rest of my life to make sure that I don't go overboard.

Regardless of how much weight I lose, I will always carry with me the problem that made me fat in the first place -- I have a lousy metabolism, I don't like to exercise, and I enjoy eating more than I burn off. Were that equation not true, I wouldn't have become fat in the first place.

So no, it never ends, but it changes, and I suspect along the way you'll learn things about yourself, your relationship to food, and what you want out of life. When you get to the end, you may find that you don't miss food nearly as much, and that you won't want to binge in the way that you do now.

Hope that helps.

My problem was never that I ate too much bad stuff I loved the healthy stuff to but I ate two fast I could eat a full meal in 10-15min now it takes about 20min for your body to register your full so by eating fast I didn't feel full so off I would trot for a snack and eat that super fast to the fridge was always stocked with lots of wonderful treats and it was only a hop and a step away for the couch to the fridge so easy for me to get my chubby little hands on I was definatly one of those people that if it was there I had to eat it. I'm almost a month into ss on cd and already I have been able to reflect on my past habits and I am already thinking of ways I am going to eat after CD because If I thought I could never eat chocolate or pizza again I wouldn't be able stick to SS.

1)I will eat alot slower

2) Chocolate will never be stored in my fridge again if I get desperate for a choclate fix I will have to walk to the shop to get it not very appealing when it's cold or wet out side However I could just grab a piece of fruit whitch my fridge will be loaded with.

3) If I want to eat pizza I will although instead of having a whole one to myself I will have a couple of slices of non takeaway pizza with a large fresh salad.

4) I will eat three proper meals a day and not one huuuuugggeeee meal and tons of really bad snacks

5) I will allow myself one takeaway a month rather then when I feel like one and I will not feel I have to finish the whole thing in one sitting but know that I can simply stop when I'm full and save the rest for another day.

6) Instead of white bread/pasta/rice Iwill start eating more wholegrain bread/brown rice/pasta

7) My fridge will be stocked full of healthy choices not bad ones.

8) I'm going to get up off my bum and exercise more.

9) I am going to eat at sensible times not have my tea as late as 10 at night.

10)As Melissa said If my clothes feel tight I will not buy a size bigger I will address the issue there and then rather then let it develop it is a hell of alot easier to lose a few extra pounds rather then a few extra stones.

Hope that helps hun an best of luck I'm sure when your further along CD you will unerstand that it is not a life sentence you will still be able to have the bad food you like but in moderation and as Pete mentioned instead of opting for the maccy d's or the quick choice. make your own healthy version at home whitch I'm sure will feel taste and look much better xxx

Last edited:
i know i shouldn't eat a lot of sweets/candy/chocolate etc, but i still do, literally every day, and i still manage to either lose or maintain the weight. BUT- if i really feel like eating something sweet (like today- TOTM...:/ ), i just eat a lot less of everything else, just so i still remain below the 1700-1800kcal a day.
also, i don't even go near take aways, pizza, chinese take out, etc. and when i do eat cookies for example, i choose the ones with less calories, for example, instead of eating an Oreo, i eat a fruit shortcake or chocolate chip cookie (50kcal per cookie or less). i don't really discriminate, i still eat "bad" food, but just as long as you are aware how many calories are in those cookies, and you are able to limit the other things you eat in a day, you should be fine. Unless eating one cookie triggers a binge- then i would not recommend it:)

Back