Joining SW tomorrow!

tennisfan1986

Hi all,

Tomorrow evening I am joining a SW group (hopefully with a friend but she's not 100% convinced yet!) But I'll be going with or without her :)

I'm 26 and since the age of 18 I have either been dieting and losing weight or not dieting and rapidly gaining weight. I'm sick of the yoyo-ing and want to lose weight healthily and slowly and keep it off.

I've previously tried WW online more times than I'd like to think about (usually loosing approx 2 stone before stopping, at most losing 3 1/2 stone), I've tried calorie counting (losing about 1 1/2 stone), the Cambridge Diet a couple of years ago (losing 5 1/2 stone!!) and earlier this year did an NHS weight loss program (losing 2 st 4 lb in 12 weeks). At 18 (when I started my first "diet") I weighed 16 stone 10 pound, today I weighed 17 st 2 lb. At my heaviest I have been 18 stone and at my lightest I have been 11 stone 8 lb (I felt amazing at that weight!!) So In the past 8 years I have literally got no where :(

I seem to lose weight fine when I'm being weighed weekly but can't seem to carry my motivation on when no one is weighing me! The NHS weight loss (Why Weight) worked really well for me and was very sensible healthy eating but as soon as I finished the 12 weeks program and stopped being weighed I started to gain weight.

So I'm trying Slimming World for the first time...wish me luck! I live on my own so am solely in charge of my shopping and cooking which I'm hoping will help. I also play tennis for 1 1/2 to 2 hours a time, 3 to 4 times a week so I'm hoping that will help my weight loss. And that losing weight will help my tennis (dragging 7 stone excess weight around the tennis court isn't easy!)

I think I will set my goal weight at 12 stone for now (BMI 30) as I felt so healthy and happy around that weight when I did the Cambridge diet.

Any tips, advice or success stories anyone?

Laura

Hey :) good luck.. I joined... AGAIN... Last week because I know when I stick to it that it works...

I was just going to say that in the past I have had most success when I have joined a group on my own rather than with a friend. For me whilst it's nice to have someone to go with its really easy to stop going if they do or miss a week if they do... Everyone in the classes are so friendly you'll not be lonely!

Good luck either way x

Hi I started last week too, although doing it on my own as have no time to stay at class. Like you I've dieted on and off since the age of about 17/18 and I'm sick of yo-yoing. Lots of luck, we can do it :) x

Welcome all to SW and this forum!
Good luck on your journey.
I recommend that you write a weekly menu then only buy the ingredients you need for these meals, this stops you buying "rubbish foods" You will feel better as the weight comes off, you will find that any tablets you are on can be reduced or stopped as the weight is lost.
When I started I was Diabetic T2, had 2 strokes, arthritis, high blood pressure and high cholesterol.Now my blood pressure is normal, cholesterol normal, all aches gone and my tablet count reduced from 12 to 7 I can do thing that before were impossible and I don't run out of breath, yes it feels great!
Just follow the plan and it works!
Pete

Bilsat, you are an inspiration. My hubby is diabetic, now on S W after many many months of me worrying about him. He had blood tests done last week, so the results will be interesting. Will post how he goes on if you are interested. And tennisfan, hope you go on OK, let us know and welcome to this fab forum :)

Hi Holly's Nan.
Hope your hubby's results are good, it will prove to him that SW works! Be interested in the results.Good luck.
Pete

Hi tennisfan

Just wanted to say good luck and see how you are doing in your first week? There are loads of success and inspirational stories on here, I found when I first joined I spent ages looking through them all and it really helped focus me, to see what amazing results other people had achieved following SW.

Hi Holly's Nan.
Hope your hubby's results are good, it will prove to him that SW works! Be interested in the results.Good luck.
Pete

Hi Pete, well the diabetic nurse was really pleased with him. I told him if the results were good (I knew they would be) to tell her that he is on S W and lost a stone so far. She said its a good plan, with good results and easy to follow. All his bloods were down, except his LDL, thats always not quite right. She was very pleased though and he came back really happy! Onwards and downwards, he is well in the zone now. We went to a Human League concert last night and we had a s w friendly picnic in the car before we went in. A little while ago he would not have done that at all. And he said he was full and it really was no issue. And we stuck to diet pepsi too! :)

My tip is that when you get to target don't think of it as the end of the diet, you don't have to pay any more but carry on going, SW is for life, and it is a change of life style for good, not a diet to be used until target and then discarded.
Then hopefully when you reach your 12 stone and feel great you can sustain it and feel great forever.

Thats exactly my thinking rootsfan! Been at target 12 months and its just a way of life I dont think about it anymore, this is me. When people say "why are you still doing it now" I get soooooooooo annoyed. Dont they get that if I said well I can eat what I like now, I will be where I was 2 years ago. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr And really I suppose I do eat what I like now thinking about it, because my taste has changed so much for the better. The thought of pizza actually makes me feel sick, as does greasy food. (Still like chocolate though) :)

Roots and Holly's nan - your posts just made me think - I know if you go to group you don't pay when you hit target. Do either of you know if thats the same if you do SW online?

Hi tennisfan did u join up then??
Notice this thread is a week old

The best thing about slimming world is target members come to group and get weighed (you have to do this at least once every 4 weeks to stay a member) so you will still be getting weighed by someone so itll help you keep the weight off :) its a lovely eating plan to follow and plenty of food to keep us full. Good luck x

Roots and Holly's nan - your posts just made me think - I know if you go to group you don't pay when you hit target. Do either of you know if thats the same if you do SW online?

Hi there, well to be honest I dont really know as I go to group, but I should imagine you dont have to pay otherwise that would not be fair. I think when it states in the literature once target is reached you dont pay they dont say "except online", so I would assume thats it, no more paying if you stay within the 3plus and 3 down band. :)

Unfortunately you do still need to pay if you are an online member, even if you are at target. SW have no way of knowing that you really are at target and staying there, and anyone could claim to be at target in order to get free membership, so I suppose that is the reason why. I think the best option is to join group for your last 7lbs or so (assuming that is possible) so that you do qualify for free membership when you reach target.

Oh patchwork plus thats interesting, I didnt know that! I can see now though the logic in that. I think yr idea of joining for the last hurdle quite a good one, although some people just dont want to be involved in a group at all. I love group though, but what suits one doesnt suit all I suppose. :)

Yes and think it was mentioned earlier that as a group member you automatically get online membership but as a target member you have to weigh in at group once a month and maintain your + or -3lb in order to keep going for free and having free online access. Also it is worth thinking hard about joining for the last bit because I don't think you can retain your online stats when you do it through the group. I did read someone else's post some time back saying that they are different memberships (access to slightly different tools as an online member rather than a group member with online access) however someone can probably give more accurate info on this. Means you would effectively be starting from scratch.

Back