Just had a lovely text from my CDC

Goreygirl

Gold Member
giving me so positive encouragement. She gave me a book to read (to help understand some of my underlying issue more) and was just checking in that it wasn't upsetting me and that my "addict" isn't trying to sabotage me as a result. She says she's a bit of a night owl so feel free to call/text any time even if it's late and if she's awake she'll call me back.

How sweet :)

Blimey, thats lovely. What a nice CDC you have. May i enquire what book she recommended for you? I have found that CDC#s seem to vary wildly, mine is great and txts to see how i am getting on and state the obvious (like in summer she encouraged everyone to add crushed ice to their shakes to make them cooler!!) but she means well and is always there for her clients. I find she always has time to chat when i visit and due to my job which has a mahoosive territory she will fit me in very early in the morning or on her day off to keep me on the straight and narrow :)
Dolls x

She is! I've gotten a big hug from her each week when I've gotten off the scales.

It's called the Adult Children of Alcoholics..... the theories originally came from, as the title says, work with grown up children of alcoholics where certain destructive behaviour patterns/beliefs/values were found to be common factors. Now it is considered to apply to anyone who grew up in a dsyfunctional household (financial, physical, verbal abuse, emotionally and/or physically absent parents etc).

The blurb on the back is:

Are you an Adult Child?

- Adult Children guess at what normal behaviour is.
- Adult Children lie when it is just as easy to tell the truth.
- Adult Children have difficulty following a project through from beginning to end.
- Adult Children judge themselves without mercy.
- Adult Children have difficulty having fun.
- AC take themselves very seriously.
- AC have difficulty with intimate relationships.
- AC over-react to changes over which they have no control.
- AC constantly seek approval and affirmation.
- AC usually feel like they are different from others.
- AC are super responsible or super irresponsible.
- AC are extremely loyal, even in the face of evidence that the loyalty is undeserved.
- AC are impulsive.

The legacy of growing up in a dysfunctional environment can follow us into adult life with negative consequences on health, work and love. Rather than continuing to allow our actions and reactions to be governed by an unhealthy childhood ...... offers answers on how to recognise, change and prevent the ghosts of our past from detrimentally influencing present and future".

Back