ketosis/ketostix

sazzledazzle

So, I have got some of those ketostix things to see if I'm actually in ketosis. Has anyone actually used them? And if so do you think they ate a useful indicate that you are losing weight?

I have been getting the first and the second colour pink on the scale, is this normal or am I supposed to be darker on the scale?

Thanks for your help

xoxo

No they dont indicate youre losing weight they merely (sometimes) give an indication youre in ketosis. Theyre notoiously unreliable. Bottom line is stick to the plan and youll be in ketosis. Now youre in it put them away and forget about them. You dont fall in and out of ketosis once youre there you stay there unless you eat something you shouldnt

i dont really trust them... my husband and i used them on the diet and according to the sticks he has never been in ketosis :S but he has lost over 4 stones on the diet... whereas for me it always shows deep purple... alot of people have said this means that i am dehydrated but there have been many weeks when i have drank over 4 litres a day every day... and still shows deep purple...

if you stick to the diet 100% you will go into ketosis and stay in ketosis... i wouldnt bother with the sticks x

Totally agree with first 2 posts....I used to use them for about a week when I first did cd, and they were rubbish then lol. If you do the diet 100% you will be in ketosis, if you come off plan then you won't! Bin the sticks :) haha xx

You could still be in ketosis having eaten an entire chicken, a side of beef, and a couple of pounds of cheese.

Pretty unlikely you'd be losing weight - but you'd be in ketosis. :)

Best way to know whether you're going to lose weight is simply to do the diet right. Stick to the plan. There may be weeks where you don't lose as much as you hoped, or even gain, but if you keep going, this diet will not fail you. Guaranteed. :)

The stix only measure the concentration of ketones (by product of ketosis) in your wee. It is noting to do with you actually being in ketosis or how deep in ketosis you are.

I'm on my third go of losing a lot of weight. The first time I started on lighter life which involved weekly testing and stuck to SS 100% for 5.5 stones of loss and never got a pink stick.

I consistently drink enough water to keep my wee a very light colour. If my wee gets more coloured then I up my water consumption a touch to correct this. The amount of water required to achieve this varies daily.

The stix only measure the concentration of ketones (by product of ketosis) in your wee. It is noting to do with you actually being in ketosis or how deep in ketosis you are.

I'm on my third go of losing a lot of weight. The first time I started on lighter life which involved weekly testing and stuck to SS 100% for 5.5 stones of loss and never got a pink stick.

Yup. Because ketones don't only get flushed out in your urine. They can also get 'blown off' via your breath. And ketones will only be in your urine if you make more than your body can use. Some people use their ketones more efficiently, and indeed make fewer of them, hence their lack of "spill" into the urine. In fact, the longer you're on a low carb regime, the better your body adapts - over time you'll make fewer ketones than you did when you first started low carbing.

Great! Thankyou so much for all your replies, I really appreciate it.

So I have been sticking to the plan 100% and have lost 10 pounds so far. Everything you have said is right, it hasn't really shown up on the sticks, and thank goodness I don't have bad breath! So maybe I am in ketosis but it's not really showing itself.

This diet is so hard! I have been feeling really miserable today, - it's day seven. I just keep thinking about food. I think I associate food with being full and happy, and going out for dinner with my boyfriend, or cooking -(which I love) to feed people and make them happy.

I feel like there is a big part of my life missing. Every time I see my boyfriend eating something I feel like I want to cry! I just think, what have things come to, to end up like this?!

X

well done on losing 10lbs hun thats really good.
i really know what you mean about feeling like a part of your life is missing. unfortunately food is a huge part of our lives and i think not eating food for however long you will be on the diet will make you realise how meaningless it all really is. and of course we'll make better decisions about the type of food we eat.

think you need to try something that will distract you and maybe do that thing while your boyfriend is eating ? its really hard at first watching someone eat in front of you but just give it a little bit of time and you will see that it wont bother you half as much.

if all else fails just tell yourself that the sooner you get to your goal weight the sooner you can stop feeling like this x all the best

Thanks so much, you are right!

I think I just need to get used to food not ruling my life. My boyfriend is off on a course this week so at least I don't have to watch him eating anything this week (he's 6'10" and therefore eats almost 24 hrs a day to keep up his energy levels!)

I am off to yoga tonight, and I think that should keep my mind off everything.

Thanks for your help Mrs (not so) fatbum, I hope I can be there for you when you need a little help too!

xoxo

Yoga sounds like a great idea :) dnt worry huni you will be fine and im sure that when your boyfriend sees how determined you are he will naturally make small changes to make sure that he's not eating in front of you lots etc etc. people at my work automatically turn away/or eat away from me coz they feel bad that im not eating n they r. Its just one of those things that just occur naturally xx

I get so much support from all of you (my minimins friends) and i cant thank you enough for it xx let me know how you get on at ur next weigh in xx

Back