Lean mince

Yasmine

One last chance
How do I know if it's extra lean or how to make it extra lean. Do I just ask the butcher to mince it again?

I confess I usually buy mine from supermarkets (OK OK I know I should be supporting local farmers!!) So mine always says Extra lean mince on the packet! However, if you're using any mince in chillies/bolognese etc all you have to do is drain off all the fat after browning it and that will be a better (and cheaper) way! If you're using it to make your own burgers etc, you could use a lean mean grilling machine or similar, to make sure all the fat drains out! I don't think that re-mincing it would do any good- the fat will still be in there!X

Damn, that's what I hate about buying halal meat, you don't know what's in them :mad:

You could select a piece of meat from the butcher and ask him to mince it for you.
The mince from my butcher is very lean anyway so it's worth asking.

If it's any help extra lean mince is classed as less than 5% fat. I don't think you can make it extra lean if it's not already. Sorry.

If it's any help extra lean mince is classed as less than 5% fat. I don't think you can make it extra lean if it's not already. Sorry.
No you can't actually take the extra fat out because it's all mashed in together. However when I first started SW....many years ago! you could actually have lean rather than extra lean mince, so that's what I've always done, without realising it had changed. Although I do cook the mince on it's own, completely drain it then add everything else, works for me.

Interesting but not much help :
What Lean Really Means for Lean Meat

How lean is lean meat? And what’s the difference between lean and extra lean meats? Guidelines have been established so that these terms have clear definitions. Meat, poultry, must meet certain requirements if the packaging uses these terms:
  • Lean: Each 3 1/2 ounces of the product must contain less than 10 grams of total fat, less than 4.5 grams of saturated fat, and less than 95 milligrams of cholesterol.
  • Extra lean: Contains less than 5 grams of total fat, less than 2 grams of saturated fat, and less than 95 milligrams of cholesterol.
Because 4.5 grams is a lot of saturated fat, go extra lean when you can. In terms of fat, nearly all seafood can be considered extra lean.
[COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Red [COLOR=blue !important]meat
[/COLOR][/COLOR]

doesn’t have to be a high-fat product. Lean red meat contains the same amount of cholesterol and close to the same amount of fat as lean chicken, fish, and turkey. If the red meat doesn’t say lean, buy dense cuts, such as top round, or any red meat that looks lean, such as tenderloin,

Read more: What Lean Really Means for Lean Meat - For Dummies
[/COLOR]​

Back