LJ's Journey to be Slim by Sixty

well LJ22 you do make me smile with your succinct honest posts - and I'm sure I'm not the only one who's been there with the bread - and just like you to come up with something practical - 2moro's another day hey?

Hi - I know exactly where you're coming from and I'm sure lots of others here will too.

You don't need to apologise for not posting - life gets in the way at times hey?

You're doing so well - even today - it was hardly a binge was it - the bread was extra HE - Bs and 3 Mullers - and a half a bottle of wine are much better than 3 bottles of wine, or bars of choc or bags of chips hey? I'm not saying it's annoying I know how it affects us but you seem determined to put that behind you and are planning next week's menus - so that's great!

I'm more concerned that you feel down - not surprising as you've had a lot on recently and concerned for your Mum plus the long hours at work - I know how you feel - I'm retired now but well remember the long hours - the travelling - when it was all work and no play - either on job (work not the other!) or slumping on the sofa!

Then I joined SW and started some gentle exercise and felt better and you're already well down that road.

Like me you're probably post menopausal if that's not too personal - several of my friends and I feel that we still have a monthly cycle and feel irritable and tend to binge at a certain time.

Hopefully you'll get more replies - from different perspectives - to help all struggling members to understand why we go off plan etc

Really glad to see you're planning for next week and keep telling yourself you haven't been that much off plan - take care.

Happy Sunday all. I wrote a list of meals to have in the coming week. Then I went to Sainsburys and brought home four bags of shopping. Right now I am cooking the first of my batch cook recipes. Its a yummy Moroccan Lamb Stew that I used to make before SW but luckily it is almost free. Just a couple of syns per portion for the lamb mince. After that I am going to make a Chicken, Sweet Potato and Lentil Curry from the Slimming Eats site. Each pot full should make at least 6 portions for my freezer. Batch cooking helps so much with my erratic work hours.

How are you all doing?

Hi LJ22!

i finally made it to the wonderful world of minimins :)

I have been inspired by your 100 mile challenge, I think I will start this to.

In reply to your post about being scared of being slim.. I agree! You like to think other people don't pay to much attention to you... But when they start to comment on how much weight you have lost and how much smaller you look.. You realise that they saw you as fat! Eeeek!

Enjoy your cooking :)

Hi and a happy Sunday to you too - yes I know I'm a bit late with less than 3 hours remaining lol.

Good to hear you sounding more positive today - I'll check out those recipes - as you say they're so handy and scrumptious to have in the freezer

I've just posted my off day (but would have been a lot worse & put me off track for days in the 'old' days) on my blog - f ind that helps me to get it over with and plan for next day. Hope you and all have a good day 2moro

The curry I made was scrumptious. Definitely worth the effort and it made 8 portions! I did add a little more sweet potato than the recipe said. That was because I knew that if I didnt use it up it would get wasted. The lamb dish is yummy too. If you want the recipe let me know and I will post it here.

I wanted to do a batch of soup too but ran out of time. I hope I might get home early enough tomorrow night to make it then. It's so delicious and I have run out now. It makes a quick and satisfying lunch in a hurry especially now I have almost perfected my spelt bread recipe.

Hi LJ22 - my you have been busy - but it sets you off to a great start to the week!

I like to have a soup in the fridge for when the munchies strike and a good way to get our 5 a day. I'd be grateful if you'd post the recipe for the lamb stew - as I'm sure others would too.

Morning all. This recipe makes 8 one cup portions. The syn value depends on the lamb mince used.

Lamb Stew with Moroccan Spices

450g lamb mince
2 onions chopped
1tsp ground cinnamon
1/2tsp allspice
400g tinned chickpeas drained and rinsed
400g tinned chopped tomatoes
450g sweet potatoes cubed
2 courgettes cubed

Fry the onions for a few minutes.
Add the mince and spices and fry until the mince is browned.
Add the chickpeas, tomatoes, courgettes and sweet potatoes and simmer for 30 minutes.

Thanks - reading that's made my mouth water - I have most of the ingredients in - just need the lamb mince - so will get that on next shop and look forward to trying it out - have a good day everyone.

Hello folks. I am still here and rather disappointed with myself that now that i am back home and under stress of work again that I am not eating as well as I should. I am driven to snacking and I was doing so well at my mothers eating regular meals and not snacking. Today I am trying hard. I just had a banana for breakfast with a cup of tea. I have a long lunch break today so I am cooking a big pot of leek and potato soup. i will have some of that for lunch with a slice of homemade spelt bread. Will take an apple for a mid afternoon snack, then see what happens workwise. No idea if I will be working late yet.

Its weigh in day tomorrow night and I am getting scared of what the scales will say. I have not gone over my syns each day but I have eaten more free foods than I really needed. However, I will go and face whatever the result is and between now and then will kick myself into gear and get back to proper healthy eating.

how are you all doing?

Hi LJ 22 - I know what you mean - but when time is short and working hours are difficult - the planning is sooooo hard plus I find when I'd doing things I enjoy with people I like - food comes 2nd place - and the reverse when life's not quite so good.

You've posted how you're feeling about your Mum + keenness to move + work BUT you're not doing badly are you? Perhaps you're striving for perfection as many of us are - but don't think many of the human race achieve that in any area of their lives in the longer term. So I'd say dont' be too hard on yourself!

Hope the WI goes well but if not - remember how far you've come and remember there's another one next week, and the next and the next......

You ask how others are doing - I'm clearing out my late mother's house which I'm finding emotionally and physically tough - so I'm eating erratically but trying to make it work like you - so not sure what 2moro's WI will bring! Keep your pecker up!

Good to hear from you, upndown. We are both having a wobbly week but managing to hold on to the plan. You are doing amazingly well considering how you are spending your days going through your Mum's belongings. It must be very emotional for you and we both know how food is tied up with emotion. Keep hanging in there and each day you get through is a day closer to completing the task.

I did a little better today and will post my food intake. Not brilliant, but better.

Breakfast: banana, cup of tea

Mid morning: apple

Lunch: homemade leek and potato soup (I also added some frozen chopped spinach to make it even more healthy), with a 60g slice of spelt bread which is now well and truly stale as I never did get it into the freezer and two satsumas. New loaf needed tomorrow.

Dinner: (if you can call it that) 2 Muller Light, 2 bananas, small glass white wine

I will try to get my act together tomorrow. I can't let stress stop me taking care of myself properly. And I must make myself post here whatever sort if day I have had. I want to record what I eat, good or bad.

Wednesday morning, weigh day *shudder*. I woke up early today. Couldn't sleep. My mind is buzzing with too much chatter. However, I do feel ok, ready for a good SW day. Will have fruit and yogurt for breakfast and some soup for lunch with a couple of ryvitas. Maybe an apple mid afternoon as dinner will not. Be until after group. If I even get a half pound loss tonight I will be thrilled. If it's not such good news then I will accept it and work harder this coming week to eat well. Three meals and a couple of snacks each day and no other snacking. I need to be back in the routine I had when I was at Mum's. I had a routine there for her sake so why can't I do it for myself?

I managed a one mile walk with my dog yesterday but need to do the walking more regularly to build up my fitness which is abominable right now. I have arthritis in my spine and a painful knee from a fall last year so walking is difficult but not impossible. I am finding the more I do the easier it gets and obviously losing weight must help too. Less strain on the joints.

Hi - thanks for your reply - this site is definitely making a difference to me - I love the interaction - like having personal diet gurus or even psychiatrists on hand!! Yes we're both coping well - not 100% but managing our eating as best we can at the moment!

I've just weighed and have lost 3.5lbs so pleased but feel like the naughty girl who's got away with a bad deed! I'll try to be more organised this week. Mum's home will be empty by the end of the week and contracts for the house sale are supposed to be exchanged today - hard but it must be done.

But my elderly infirm mother in law has had a plumbing leak (more like a flood) she has started with dementia and didn't phone anyone when the leak started - theres a lot of damage even some of the chipboard floors need replacing - why do they use that fo flooring for heavens sake!

So now we have to speak to the doctor about her ability to live on her own as she fiercely wants to do - her daughter lives very close and keeps an eye on her - she also has carers and we help but are 20 mins away. But we're wondering how long this can go on.

Keep your pecker up and I hope your WI goes well.

I've 'read the thread' and will subscribe...

Have some real thoughts about a lot of what you've said in different posts...I'm just a little reluctant to reply in full as you may think it's 'none of my business' lol...

Perhaps I'll pluck up the courage soon...Fantastic re what you've achieved thus far! Keep going!

Back