LJ's Journey to be Slim by Sixty

CJ - u asked me about recipes - which is funny cos I'm no cook - but my fave ones are:

Rosemary C - chilli and spag bol - RC cottage pie with sweet pots - RC beef & beer stew

SW likes - scotch eggs, crisps - v thinly sliced potatoes cooked in micro, toasted chick peas with herbs/spices, similar idea to wasabi peas, frittata, chicken wrapped in bacon stuffed with mushrooms & fromage frais, cardamom baked chicken, Bubble & Squeak cakes, Potato layer pie, Paella, Cheesy broccoli & potato bake & sticky lemon chicken

I have tried making various versions of SW pancakes/crepes but none were successful - down to me again!

I fancy the SW baked choc cheesecake and choc brownie but never made them. What are ur favourites? We shd share ideas - my repertoire is often limited and I get bored & that's dangerous!

LOL - all this typing about food has made me fancy SW crisps so I've come downstairs & made some - yummy - not strictly how the plan supposed to work is it but I haven't eaten loads today!!

Have a good day 2moro all!

What do you think of scan bran cake, upndown? Over xmas I made lots of banana scan bran cake. Was nice chopped into yogurt. Very filling.

Speaking of yogurt my first batch is in the incubator as we speak. Hope it works. I want yogurt for breakfast tomorrow.

Hi - yes I like the Scan Bran cake - missed it off my list to CJ but could have gone on all night!!

One of the ladies on another diary thread often eats Scan B cake for b'fast - and I've seen another pic with SB cake & strawbs with from frais - I'll have to make one soon - as u say it's very filing & feels like a treat - I liked the curly wurly and fudge ones.

last post today - must get to bed! Just wanted to update my food diary + SW crisps and half a cup of highlight drink choc - cdn't finish it - not like me!

Morning my SW friends.

Upndown, I would not dare make SW crisps. I LOVE crisps. I don't crave them so best I keep well away! Mmm... Pringles. Oh, Pringles and cheese'n'chive dip. Oops!

I went over my syns yesterday. The Chicken Chasseur called for a glass of red wine. I could not find those little bottles of wine at Tesco so I bought a full bottle. One large glass went into the cooking but that left two more, which I drank over the course of the evening. 8.5 syns each = 17 syns. Plus 2 syns for the meal itself. Not worried though as I have not eaten the full syn allowance the rest of the week. I expected a headache this morning but I feel fine. Weird!

Going to look at some of upndown's recipe suggestions. I like the sound of bubble and squeak cakes and the broccoli and potato bake. I bought ingredients for a similar dish yesterday. Broccoli and cheese bake. It's basically a version of cauliflower cheese. Would be great for a green day with some SW chips.

How is everyone doing? Stay strong, it's Sunday. We all wavered last Sunday. Not this week though. Let's stick together and pretend it's the day before weigh in. LOL!

Ooh I nearly forgot to say. I made yogurt. Woohoo! Opened the lid of the yogurt maker this morning and there is a pot of real fat free yogurt! Well, as fat free as it can be with skimmed milk. It looks like yogurt. It smells like warm yogurt. :) It is now chilling in the fridge. When cool I will have a yogurt and fruit brunch to try it. Excited! If it's the right consistency I will work out how much it cost to make and how many calories so I can compare it to muller light.

Soooo... On the agenda for today. Plenty of lazing around because I have a very full work week ahead, unlike last week. But if the weather stays dry I am going to try and motivate myself to go for a 2 mile walk. Not sure about that yet though. I need to make a batch of veggie soup for my lunches and a new loaf to go with that. My freezer is almost full. I put four portions of the chicken chasseur in there and once the soup and bread goes in it will be chocablock. I need to eat up the meals I have stored. There are lots of recipes I want to try but they will have to wait. When I move to my mothers I might suggest we get a larger freezer. She has room for one. Her freezer is the same size as mine and is just not big enough for my freezer habits!

Speaking of mothers, I am going to speak to her and arrange a short visit to break up this long wait till the move. It will be an interim target date to count down to. Excited even at the thought of it. And I will be able to see CJ and we can spend some time together. Yay!

Let me know how you are all doing. I have a good feeling for us all this week. We seem to have pulled together and knuckled down. 'Tis brilliant!

The couscous cake sounds good! Especially banana! I love banana flavoured anything! Hehe i will have a look at recipes.

i just had some pudding a toffee (i think its a shape desert or something similar) 5 syns with chopped banana. Just like banoffee pie!

Banoffee pie sounds good. That's a flavour I can have. My chocolate allergy does exclude a lot of the yummy SW puddings. The couscous cake does sound nice. Are you going to try making some CJ? Interested in what you think of it.

Just a quick report on my hands problem. Continuing from the tangerine juice burns I still have eczema on the back of the hand where it got me. I now also have eczema patches on the knuckles and middle of the palms of both hands now. It's not as sore as it was but is possibly food related. No idea which food though. Quite frustrating.

Just a quick report on my hands problem. Continuing from the tangerine juice burns I still have eczema on the back of the hand where it got me. I now also have eczema patches on the knuckles and middle of the palms of both hands now. It's not as sore as it was but is possibly food related. No idea which food though. Quite frustrating.

I have had an angry sore patch of eczema on my right hand, I think it's the washing up liquid. But I have been slathering my hands in E45 before bed, not the normal one it's for very dry skin with a bottle with a red top. And just put it on the back of my hands when I remember, it has cleared up in a few days. It was very sore.

Banoffee pie sounds good. That's a flavour I can have. My chocolate allergy does exclude a lot of the yummy SW puddings. The couscous cake does sound nice. Are you going to try making some CJ? Interested in what you think of it.

Yes you can have it! The Toffee pudding is nice on its own, but now I have discovered it with banana.., yummy! I recommend :)

Yes I will have a go at the couscous cake next weekend maybe. I fancy the banana one! Will have a look at recipes today.

CJ - u asked me about recipes - which is funny cos I'm no cook - but my fave ones are:

Rosemary C - chilli and spag bol - RC cottage pie with sweet pots - RC beef & beer stew

SW likes - scotch eggs, crisps - v thinly sliced potatoes cooked in micro, toasted chick peas with herbs/spices, similar idea to wasabi peas, frittata, chicken wrapped in bacon stuffed with mushrooms & fromage frais, cardamom baked chicken, Bubble & Squeak cakes, Potato layer pie, Paella, Cheesy broccoli & potato bake & sticky lemon chicken

I have tried making various versions of SW pancakes/crepes but none were successful - down to me again!

I fancy the SW baked choc cheesecake and choc brownie but never made them. What are ur favourites? We shd share ideas - my repertoire is often limited and I get bored & that's dangerous!

LOL - all this typing about food has made me fancy SW crisps so I've come downstairs & made some - yummy - not strictly how the plan supposed to work is it but I haven't eaten loads today!!

Have a good day 2moro all!

Wow and you say your no cook. Look at all those yummy recipes!

The he crisps sound good! I will have to try those, I was looking at the cheese, brocolli and potato bake last night. I fancy making that.

I started making sw recipes then some I have just made up with things I have lying around.

SW I like the Moroccan meatballs, classic chicken curry (curry book), biriyani. Ones I just tend to eat, spaghetti bolognese, my veg chilli from last night was possibly one of my favourites, beef chilli, anything with SW chips! Sw roast potatoes.. Mmmmm.

I am trying to eat up things from the freezer this week, so haven't get an fun recipes to attemp. But I have a list of ones I fancy trying.,

mango biryiani, Caribbean curried lamb, fish pie, Mediterranean fish.

Morning my SW friends.

Upndown, I would not dare make SW crisps. I LOVE crisps. I don't crave them so best I keep well away! Mmm... Pringles. Oh, Pringles and cheese'n'chive dip. Oops!

I went over my syns yesterday. The Chicken Chasseur called for a glass of red wine. I could not find those little bottles of wine at Tesco so I bought a full bottle. One large glass went into the cooking but that left two more, which I drank over the course of the evening. 8.5 syns each = 17 syns. Plus 2 syns for the meal itself. Not worried though as I have not eaten the full syn allowance the rest of the week. I expected a headache this morning but I feel fine. Weird!

Going to look at some of upndown's recipe suggestions. I like the sound of bubble and squeak cakes and the broccoli and potato bake. I bought ingredients for a similar dish yesterday. Broccoli and cheese bake. It's basically a version of cauliflower cheese. Would be great for a green day with some SW chips.

How is everyone doing? Stay strong, it's Sunday. We all wavered last Sunday. Not this week though. Let's stick together and pretend it's the day before weigh in. LOL!

Ooh I nearly forgot to say. I made yogurt. Woohoo! Opened the lid of the yogurt maker this morning and there is a pot of real fat free yogurt! Well, as fat free as it can be with skimmed milk. It looks like yogurt. It smells like warm yogurt. :) It is now chilling in the fridge. When cool I will have a yogurt and fruit brunch to try it. Excited! If it's the right consistency I will work out how much it cost to make and how many calories so I can compare it to muller light.

Soooo... On the agenda for today. Plenty of lazing around because I have a very full work week ahead, unlike last week. But if the weather stays dry I am going to try and motivate myself to go for a 2 mile walk. Not sure about that yet though. I need to make a batch of veggie soup for my lunches and a new loaf to go with that. My freezer is almost full. I put four portions of the chicken chasseur in there and once the soup and bread goes in it will be chocablock. I need to eat up the meals I have stored. There are lots of recipes I want to try but they will have to wait. When I move to my mothers I might suggest we get a larger freezer. She has room for one. Her freezer is the same size as mine and is just not big enough for my freezer habits!

Speaking of mothers, I am going to speak to her and arrange a short visit to break up this long wait till the move. It will be an interim target date to count down to. Excited even at the thought of it. And I will be able to see CJ and we can spend some time together. Yay!

Let me know how you are all doing. I have a good feeling for us all this week. We seem to have pulled together and knuckled down. 'Tis brilliant!

I am feeling much more motivated and positive today! Last Sunday was not good for any of us! Lol I have had a nice big brunch, so that will keep me going. I need to decide what to have for tea tonight. What's everyone having??

LJ it will be lovely if you come in April! Then it won't seem so long to wait will it :) we can try out some fun recipes hehe

My day is going to be spent lounging about I think. Might venture into the Garden again for half an hour, or try and do some walking on the treadmill! I might try a few miles, then if I do it in short burst it will be better?

Still very very windy here!

Food so far today..

Brunch 1 slice of brown gluten free bread (hexb), tin of branston beans and sausages (5.5 syns) and 2 poached eggs! Feeling full.

I have had an angry sore patch of eczema on my right hand, I think it's the washing up liquid. But I have been slathering my hands in E45 before bed, not the normal one it's for very dry skin with a bottle with a red top. And just put it on the back of my hands when I remember, it has cleared up in a few days. It was very sore.

I will look out for some of that. This is lingering too long.

Ok folks, so my mother has emailed to say she bought a Vibration Plate Trainer machine. I don't know why she bought it but have read some reviews and people say it helps back and joint pain and helps lose weight. No idea how it works. I have yet to read the details. Hoping the claims are true because I will be able to use it when I am there. Has anyone else got one or used one?

i had yogurt and mango for lunch. It was delicious! Very pleased with my decision to make my own yogurt.

Went for a one mile walk this afternoon. It's cold out there and I feel weak. I think I need to eat more. Maybe those experiment days are catching up with me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 13
Bread looks good. I just love bread so much! Haven't had any today. Maybe an evening snack later....

Soup done. Letting it cool a little before blending it. I used up all the fresh veg from my fridge that I didn't use last week. 2 carrots, 2 sweet potatoes, 3 leeks, 2 red onions, garlic, 1 parsnip, a bag of shredded cabbage and broccoli. I added two chicken stock cubes and a couple of pints of water and half a teaspoon of dried chilli flakes. Lots of superfree there and should be tasty. Will let you know.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 15
Well I have managed to have a totally different Sunday to last week! Had a nice lie in, got up, had brunch. Then lounged about for a few hours. Then decided to dust off the treadmill and have a go... I managed 6km! While watching 1 and a half episodes of prison break lol so far my foot feels ok. I might try and do a few km every evening. I won't give myself to big a target, as I know when I get in from work I might not feel like doing much, but I will try :)

So I had my brunch.. Didn't eat anything else until 4 when I'd done my walking! I wasn't actually hungry, but thought I should eat something so had a banana. Feeling hungry now, so will make tea soon. I think some kind of pasta,with veggie tomato sauce and bacon.

Well done LJ with your walk, your racking up your miles now :) you'll be able to use my treadmill when your here and it's horrible weather :)

I am looking forward to using your treadmill. Maybe I can train my dog to walk on it with me. Or your kitties!

LOL! The kitties like the snooze underneath it.. So I have to shut them out when I use it!

Get that S & S sauce made LJ. I've not used cornflour these past two times I've cooked it- it thickens a little if you cook it for a decent amount of time...Hope you like it after all this time lol

Your bread looks good enough to eat!! :D

Get that S & S sauce made LJ. I've not used cornflour these past two times I've cooked it- it thickens a little if you cook it for a decent amount of time...Hope you like it after all this time lol

Your bread looks good enough to eat!! :D

My freezer is jam packed full. No room for anything else until I have eaten some of it. When I make the S&S I need room to freeze the leftovers so it is going to have to be put on hold for a while. It's on my To Cook list :)

The bread is now sliced into HexB portions and in the freezer. The soup is blended and the 7 portions it made are in the freezer. Tastes really good! The yogurt is yummmmmeeeeeee. I am all set for the week.

About the yogurt. I used skimmed milk and I don't know if it's the same with higher fat milk but a lot of whey was coming out of it. I have been gently pouring it off during the day and the yogurt is now thicker and creamier. Even nicer than it was to start with. Some people strain it to make it thicker. I might do that next time. I threw the whey down the sink and then read that it's good in breadmaking! Will try that next weekend.

Hi Everyone - had a lazy morning then did some visiting this afternoon - so just been catching up on everyone's posts - OH says I'm hooked and he's right - but how often is it that things u enjoy - do u good??!!

LJ - hope ur premonition for good WI's for us all comes to fruition. Like u all I've had a good day too but can't take all the credit - explanation later.

What a nuisance ur eczema is - didn't realise fruit was so toxic and with CJ also suffering too - must be in the genes as well as a love of gadgets!

Yogurt sounds good and I'm sure u'll perfect it soon - I think that's the difference between a mediocre cook (like me) and good ones (u and CJ) the first just follows the recipe to the letter and lives with the result - the 2nd adapts it and turns an ok dish into something special!

I have been on a Vibe Plate thing - as the name suggests it wobbles until u think ur fillings will fall out - only joking - but it does wobble and at various speeds - highest setting almost damages ur fillings LOL. I found it effective - I think I bought a course of 10 or so just b4 a hol - all the girls at work were raving about it - and it definitely toned my body.

Went to a friend's today and she showed me an article about relieving the pain of arthritis in Woman's Weekly - one of the things was that research had proved that yoga provides relief - I think it was a recent copy. Realise exercise will have to wait until u feel stronger - which will hopefully be soon when your body feels it's had a good feed!

CJ yes I'm ok at collecting recipes but the results often disappoint - altho' RC's beef & ale stew turned out ok.

Glad ur day's been good and u got a walk in - do u find that exercise and being on plan go hand in hand?

Bet ur glad ur Mum's coming up soon - maybe u can hold a garden party - no not for ur Minimins friends - April's a great time to start planting and sowing - and Feb/Mar good opportunity to burn off the cals by preparing the ground! Ready for ur Mum to help with the planting/sowing LOL

I bought lots of seeds from Lidl this week for under a pound, cheapest were under 20p a pack - I'm more an enthusiastic gardener than a good one - we don't have a big patch but it's my domain as OH has no interest - he was even happy for me to dig up part of the lawn for a small veg plot! I like to grow stuff that's expensive in the shops and easy to grow - like salad, herbs, peas, beans etc. The mizuna (a Japanese salad leaf) I sowed last September is going strong - and will withstand a light frost!

fat2go - Glad ur sounding fully committed and up for a good WI this week - so much to aim for - it's motivating isn't it! I'm going to try ur sweet & sour - but guess the meat isn't covered in batter the way I like it? Never mind it sounds good without it! I'll post on ur thread later.

Jules - hope ur ok - give us a shout if u need support - loads to be had here!

My food intake follows but need to explain that I have a problem with my throat - you'll laugh at the medical term - it's Globus Sensation (sounds like a sex toy or something to me) but that's better than the term I was given when I was diagnosed 30 years ago - Globus Hystericus!!

It manifests itself by having a sensation of something stuck in ur throat - it's there all the time & makes swallowing, even saliva, uncomfortable - there's no known treatment - it first occurred when I had my third child - I'd had a diff pregnancy and almost lost the baby. Luckily I don't get it often.

It can occur when stressed and colds exacerbate it - so with dealing with my late parents' house plus having this bug for over 3 weeks is the likely reason - but at least it's helping me stay on track!

B'fast - an orange

Snack - choc biscs - 5 syns (funny how I can manage those dry things!)

Tea - RC Beef and Beer Stew - didn't syn yest but need to count them as it inc 500ml of beer 8 syns - made 8 portions so 2 syns for today + yest

HEA - ss milk - HEB not used (yet)

Total Syns = 7

May have some couscous cake later - hope everyone has had a good day today and stays on plan 2moro.

Last edited:
Back