LJ's Journey to be Slim by Sixty

Urggggghhhhh. I did something very stupid tonight. I worked late and we got takeaway. Fried chicken and chips from the chip shop. Suffering now..... Just arrived home. It's after 8pm. I think I need to guzzle some gaviscon and go to bed and relax to ease the pain so I will have to catch up on the posts at the weekend. I always work until lunchtime on Saturdays but after that the weekend is mine.

I hope you all had a good day and I look forward to communicating over the weekend. Goodnight everyone. :)

Urggggghhhhh. I did something very stupid tonight. I worked late and we got takeaway. Fried chicken and chips from the chip shop. Suffering now..... Just arrived home. It's after 8pm. I think I need to guzzle some gaviscon and go to bed and relax to ease the pain so I will have to catch up on the posts at the weekend. I always work until lunchtime on Saturdays but after that the weekend is mine.

I hope you all had a good day and I look forward to communicating over the weekend. Goodnight everyone. :)

Oh no poor you again - I could just imagine myself doing that after a tough day at work. Hope you have a peaceful night.

I may have good news - I mentioned your lovely thread to another poster and she has had a look and likes what she sees but there's a lot to catch up on so she's doing it piecemeal - so here's hoping we have another like minded soul in our midst!

Hope CJ's had a great party! Hello to coughdrops and fat2go - hope you're both on track!

Had some exercise today - chasing after 8 yr old Poppy on roller blades on the prom! Just made some SW Ferrero Rocher.

I've done the Success Express thing again today:

B'fast - low fat from frais, 35g muesli, 2/3 bowl berries

Lunch - not like me - wasn't hungry so no lunch - but not a good idea cos I am hungry now but only want choc!

Tea - leftover spag bol - made with 2/3 veg - small amount of pasta

Snack - banana

Tea - HE-A ss milk, water, diet drinks

SYNS - Shop bought pancake thing with choc chips 4 syns, Nutella 3 syns, Low fat hot choc 2 syns, SW Ferrero Rocher 2 syns, must have done something wrong - too much water maybe so added more Ryvita and they're sitting in the fridge now - as they are now I'd much prefer Nutella straight from the jar!

Total 11 syns

Last edited:
Thank you upndown. Sympathy gratefully received. New posters also very welcome! You are really going for it this week aren't you with the success express meals! I will be interested to see the results. I expect CJ will too.

On another note I have been reading a thread about cheese scones made with smash and cottage cheese and they sound really yummy and versatile. I gotta try them!

It's one of those restless sleepless nights for me (4am now) so I have been researching natural pain relief for my spinal and knee arthritis and discovered that the supplements I was taking are likely to have been one of the best. I stopped them three weeks ago when the ulcer arrived so tomorrow I will start taking them again and will see any results for sure now that I am no longer on any prescription painkillers. I am hopeful they will make a difference. Basically they are a mix of glucosamine, chondroitin and omega 3 oil. A well documented trio. I am going to be rattling with all these tablets but i should be able to stop the liquorice and mastic gum in about three months time.

Good morning and happy Saturday!

Its nice because I feel like I'm having a 2nd Saturday as I had yesterday off! I had a very busy day yesterday, didn't stop! I only had a few drinks last night.. But it was the buffet that was calling! I ate my body weight in egg and salad cream sandwiches lol I am writing yesterday off and shall begin a new day.

I am pleased with my decision to stop going to group. I would have felt really guilty for eating at the party yesterday..

I was feeling hungry this morning. So decided on a big breakfast.

Poached egg, bacon, a tin of spaghetti hoops and sausages (6syns) and a grilled tomato.

I didn't drink enough yesterday so I will make sure to drink lots today.

LJ I'm glad to hear your on the mend and that you have done it by yourself with no nasty drugs :)

Upndown I will be interested to see how your success express week goes! Sounds like your well on track now.

Here's something strange for you. When I now eat lots of sugary things or drink sugary things all in one go. The next day my skin hurts! It's hard to explain.. But my skin feels bruised, it takes a day or so to get back to normal. I was reading and it's to do with your body trying to get rid of the toxins. I haven't had much sugar the last few years as I did Atkins now sw. It comes as a shock to my body when I do eat lots of it!

Have a a good day all and I will check back in later :)

CJ you are making me really think hard about whether I could do this without the group too. Money is a big issue now. I have successfully lost weight in the recent past but only on quirky regimes which are not sustainable in the long term. SW is different. This is a way of eating that is compatible to modern life. I have another five weeks left on my countdown, followed I hope by a free week as per the Club 10 award.

When dieting alone I used to weigh myself every morning. I usually lost about a quarter pound per day and that gave me a boost every day. My scales weigh in 0.1lb increments. If I werent going to the group I would go back to doing that. I am going to continue to attend the group for the next six weeks and then think about what to do. The biggest thing I will miss are those stickers! I could always make my own I suppose...

CJ you are making me really think hard about whether I could do this without the group too. Money is a big issue now. I have successfully lost weight in the recent past but only on quirky regimes which are not sustainable in the long term. SW is different. This is a way of eating that is compatible to modern life. I have another five weeks left on my countdown, followed I hope by a free week as per the Club 10 award.

When dieting alone I used to weigh myself every morning. I usually lost about a quarter pound per day and that gave me a boost every day. My scales weigh in 0.1lb increments. If I werent going to the group I would go back to doing that. I am going to continue to attend the group for the next six weeks and then think about what to do. The biggest thing I will miss are those stickers! I could always make my own I suppose...

Well we can have our own WI group. Upndown already weighs on a Wednesday morning, if you can be strong about sticking to the food plan, then you can try and be strong and just weigh once a week with us. I find it sometimes demotivates me if I weigh everyday and then nothing changes.. So I like the once a week thing. The group was good to get us started and get some tips, but we are on the road now and we know what we are doing. I get more from our minimins "group" than I did at the sw group. See what you think at the end of your 6 weeks.

Hello LJ and CJ - good to read ur posts - hi to coughdrops, fat2go & Mo (if u've got to this page!) & any other silent readers.

LJ - please report on the cheese scones - I fancy those!

Sorry again to hear u were awake at 4am - but glad to hear u've cured urself & hope the trio mix becomes effective v soon - I agree that natural remedies are well worth exploring & usually have fewer side effects. Did I mention I saw a poster advertising a yoga class for people with back pain?

On stopping going to SW classes - I can honestly say - I don't miss them since I've joined here - altho' I did find them beneficial at one time - I've lost/gained so often that I think I became complacent - as you know I'm addicted to this site and find it really helps & is 'available' 24/7 - certainly don't miss paying the fee!

I can see us all (and other 'new' posters) supporting one another up to our goals then on thro to maintaining our losses. Proof of that is that I'm in my 9th week now and still committed.

I admit I've had a few wobbles but I've been quick to get back on track - it's been a very long time since I've been able to do that & can only put that down to the support & regular contact here. As CJ says see how you feel in 6 weeks' time.

U mention the stickers - I've noticed that some posters following SW have 'stickers' on their signatures - but don't know how to do that - but all good stationers have stocks of stickers - you could start a new trend!

CJ - glad ur enjoying ur 3 day wkend & that u can write the buffet off & start afresh without guilt (it's only food after all!)

Ur sugar itchy thing is weird but our bodies are complex aren't they - over the last few weeks I don't crave choc half as much but it's still my syn of choice!

I'm having a chill day today. Someone gave us a turkey crown at Christmas but we'd prev ordered a turkey - so it's been in the freezer - it's thawing now so having it for tea & lunch & tea.....!!

My SW Ferrero Rochers were a flop - sticky, sloppy and gritty - but will try again without the syrup and use less water - in theory the recipe shd work!

May try a Scan Bran cake using Ryvita - people here say it works! Will report back!

Not sure how long I can keep on with Success Exp - I feel hungry at times - but as I've only lost 1.25lbs in a fortnight - want to have a good loss this week - fingers crossed - will pop in later to catch up and post my food diary.

Wow a marathon post but I was resp to ur posts + my own 'news'!

Last edited:
Hello upndown, it's nice having a relaxing day isn't it. Your turkey crown sounds nice!

Did I tell you I got some of those wraps? I love them it's so nice to have wraps for lunch! I had cheese and salad ones at work, today I made an egg and ketchup one (ran out of salad cream and mayo) was yummy!!

I agree that I find more support here and as you say it's here 24/7. I got a message from my group leader today, just saying she knows weekends are hard but stick to it.

I have been a bit OTT with cherry Pepsi max today.. I didn't get home until midnight and was awake early so I'm tired. I have had 1L of water so far. I might have a little trot on the treadmill later, it's good because I can watch prison break (best show ever!! I am hooked) on my iPad, so i don't notice I'm walking, then end up watching another one lol

I have just been and done a food shop. Got some meat in as maybe that's where I'm going wrong (upndown's observation!) so I have mince, chicken and bacon. I got some big potatoes so I plan to have jacket potato chicken and salad tomorrow night.

I might beat u with this mammoth post :)

Is there a limit to how many eggs you should eat? lol I love egg it's so versatile!

LJ I am interested to see how your scones turn out to! They sound good!

Fat2go, coughdrop I hope your both well :)

Hello upndown, it's nice having a relaxing day isn't it. Your turkey crown sounds nice!

Did I tell you I got some of those wraps? I love them it's so nice to have wraps for lunch! I had cheese and salad ones at work, today I made an egg and ketchup one (ran out of salad cream and mayo) was yummy!!

I agree that I find more support here and as you say it's here 24/7. I got a message from my group leader today, just saying she knows weekends are hard but stick to it.

I have been a bit OTT with cherry Pepsi max today.. I didn't get home until midnight and was awake early so I'm tired. I have had 1L of water so far. I might have a little trot on the treadmill later, it's good because I can watch prison break (best show ever!! I am hooked) on my iPad, so i don't notice I'm walking, then end up watching another one lol

I have just been and done a food shop. Got some meat in as maybe that's where I'm going wrong (upndown's observation!) so I have mince, chicken and bacon. I got some big potatoes so I plan to have jacket potato chicken and salad tomorrow night.

I might beat u with this mammoth post :)

Is there a limit to how many eggs you should eat? lol I love egg it's so versatile!

LJ I am interested to see how your scones turn out to! They sound good!

Fat2go, coughdrop I hope your both well :)

Hi - u sound upbeat - and yes chilling is good - but can u chill on the treadmill? Perhaps u can if ur watching something as u walk/run.

But I've been a bit too chilled this afternoon - I prepared the turkey crown - then started to faff about looking for the ingredients for Scan Bran cakes (took a while as I'm planning to do the basic mixture and split it into 4 and add different flavourings).

But in all the faffing about - I forgot to put the turkey in the oven!! Late tea tonight then - will have more soup to stave the hunger - what a twit I am and lucky to have such a chilled OH!

Will report back on the Scan Bran experiment - but I'm using Ryvita!

Hi - u sound upbeat - and yes chilling is good - but can u chill on the treadmill? Perhaps u can if ur watching something as u walk/run.

But I've been a bit too chilled this afternoon - I prepared the turkey crown - then started to faff about looking for the ingredients for Scan Bran cakes (took a while as I'm planning to do the basic mixture and split it into 4 and add different flavourings).

But in all the faffing about - I forgot to put the turkey in the oven!! Late tea tonight then - will have more soup to stave the hunger - what a twit I am and lucky to have such a chilled OH!

Will report back on the Scan Bran experiment - but I'm using Ryvita!

oh o lol! I hope your tea isn't to late tonight!

yes I look forward to hearing about your ryvita cake.

I had a very similar tea to my breakfast lol! I will be better tomorrow and get my super free in. I will have a fruit salad for pudding if I feel hungry in a bit.

if I'm engrossed watching something on my ipad, I don't really notice my feet are walking lol I didnt end up on the treadmill, it got to late and I was hungry. I will go on tomorrow during the day, see how far I can walk.

Well! Listen to all the nice chat on here today :) I am waiting for the elusive Mo to catch up and join in too!

CJ, you are such an amazing supportive person to everyone here, not least your old ma! Thank you! I hope you are having a nice weekend. Go steady on that foot on the treadmill. Regarding the sugar thing. I don't have a skin effect but it does make my heart pound and I feel lightheaded. All rather unpleasant and I don't miss it as long as I can have fruit.

Upndown, busy busy cook today! I hope your turkey dinner is not too late to be enjoyed. I am very interested to hear how your ryvita cakes turn out. I havent made scanbran cake since christmas. I don't think my stomach would handle it right now but hopefully soon. I might have a go at the cheese scones tomorrow. Depends how I feel. I need to make soup for the week and a loaf of bread. I wish I had more time for cooking as I do enjoy it.

Coughdrops, fat2go and mo. Hello!

Today was not the healthiest food day. I had a banana for breakfast, a tesco cheese and ham sandwich for lunch, 20 syns minus about 5 for one slice of bread hex b (oweee for the post sandwich pain), an activia yogurt mid afternoon and another banana. For dinner I had a 7 syn tesco spag bol and my hex a of cheese grated on top. Dessert was a fresh mango chopped with a dollop of plain yogurt on top. So I think I had about 22 syns today. Not concerned about that. I rarely have all my syn allowance.

Hope everyone's had a good day and been on plan.

It's fine not to exercise that the weekend CJ - I think it shd be an SW rule!!

Well I'm officially a double plonker now - once I got the turkey in - I started on the Ryvita cakes - I'd done lots of research - had all the ingredients at the ready - then decided to experiment (first mistake!)

I decided to use individual silicone cupcake moulds/things cos when I've made them in the past using cake/loaf tins/moulds - they take ages!

Then I decided to make 3 flavours (2nd mistake) coffee & chopped nuts (supposed to be walnuts but didn't have any) toffee & nut and banana & (you've guessed it) nut!

Got in a bit of a twizzle with the all mixtures & cos they all looked similar - had to put them in different areas with a note of the flavour! Mr Kipling has nothing on me!

For my final mistake - I then decided to do half in the micro and half to keep the turkey company - cos I remembered that previous attempts in the micro 'sweated' a bit. I was then pirouetting round the kitchen from micro to oven the whole time!

Result - coffee ones won the taste test - oven baked ones had the best consistency.

Micro ones were sweaty again so when they were firm enough (2 mins in 800 micro) I took them out of the case and cooked for further min in micro - better but not as good as oven ones!

If ur still awake after this boring experiment - think I'll add fresh banana (in addition to the banana yog) ...

and perhaps some pieces of curly wurly or caramel essence (if there is such a thing) to the toffee ones - the nuts gave some consistency and hubby enjoyed them all.

I ate them with from frais and 2/3 plate of berries. Next time will try a quark + appropriate flavour topping.

Using Ryvita as a HE-B and 4 syns for the nuts - good 'value' I thought for 7 cupcakes!

Day's Food:

b'fast - muesli, low fat from frais, 2/3 bowl berries (for a change)

lunch - SW minestrone soup - even my food is getting boring now!

late tea - turkey, 2/3 broccoli, cauli (forgot the peas & s/corn with the cupcake chaos!)

gravy (hubby likes to put carrots and onion in with the meat then liquidise it - not sure how to syn that so only had a bit) say 3 syns?? ball of stuffing 4 syns??

1 tea, 2 coffees - HEA ss milk

SW Ferrero Rocher - 2 syns, Ryvita cakes 2 syns + 7 with tea = TOTAL SYNS 11

Well! Listen to all the nice chat on here today :) I am waiting for the elusive Mo to catch up and join in too!

CJ, you are such an amazing supportive person to everyone here, not least your old ma! Thank you! I hope you are having a nice weekend. Go steady on that foot on the treadmill. Regarding the sugar thing. I don't have a skin effect but it does make my heart pound and I feel lightheaded. All rather unpleasant and I don't miss it as long as I can have fruit.

Upndown, busy busy cook today! I hope your turkey dinner is not too late to be enjoyed. I am very interested to hear how your ryvita cakes turn out. I havent made scanbran cake since christmas. I don't think my stomach would handle it right now but hopefully soon. I might have a go at the cheese scones tomorrow. Depends how I feel. I need to make soup for the week and a loaf of bread. I wish I had more time for cooking as I do enjoy it.

Coughdrops, fat2go and mo. Hello!

Today was not the healthiest food day. I had a banana for breakfast, a tesco cheese and ham sandwich for lunch, 20 syns minus about 5 for one slice of bread hex b (oweee for the post sandwich pain), an activia yogurt mid afternoon and another banana. For dinner I had a 7 syn tesco spag bol and my hex a of cheese grated on top. Dessert was a fresh mango chopped with a dollop of plain yogurt on top. So I think I had about 22 syns today. Not concerned about that. I rarely have all my syn allowance.

As I've said before - I think you've done amazingly well to carry on here and not abandon SW with all ur health problems - so I agree that today is fine - just sorry to hear that even the sandwich caused pain. At least u have had the afternoon and 2moro off work - hope you have a good sleep in between.

Hello Everyone. You have a super thread here and you are all such interesting and friendly people. Im sorry if I have been elusive (lol) Im packing up a house ready to move. My OH is away at sea so I am relying on friends and family. The move itself will be quite complicated as I have 'things' going to three different destinations. The sale has fallen through twice before as my buyers lost their buyers so I must admit I am quite anxious. Never mind, anxiety, packing and cleaning should help the diet.
Looking forward to sharing your news. Mo

Hello Everyone. You have a super thread here and you are all such interesting and friendly people. Im sorry if I have been elusive (lol) Im packing up a house ready to move. My OH is away at sea so I am relying on friends and family. The move itself will be quite complicated as I have 'things' going to three different destinations. The sale has fallen through twice before as my buyers lost their buyers so I must admit I am quite anxious. Never mind, anxiety, packing and cleaning should help the diet.

Welcome Mo! Nice to meet you and glad to have you in our team! You certainly sound like you are extremely busy. It must be adding tons to your Body Magic :) I know how much hard work is involved in moving house. i have moved about once a year for the last 10 years. Urgh! You are doing brilliantly to stick to plan while going through all that. How are you avoiding the temptation for quick easy snacks?

Mornig everyone else. Sunday is here and it feels good to have a day off and not feel ill. I actually feel more or less normal today. LOL. But i am going to be extra careful about what goes into my stomach and portion sizes. Small meals are much better right now. I got my tablets/supplements all organised in one of those tablet organisers last night so I don't have to remember what to take and when. A whole weeks worth is all set out for me.

I have been very busy this morning. Feel quite smug about what I have done so far. And all before breakfast! I have to wait 40 mins from my first tablets before I can eat so I decided to get busy.

Started some broccoli seed sprouts off in my new sprouting jar.
Started a pot of yogurt 'brewing' for tomorrow.
Loaded my breadmaker for a spelt loaf and that is busy stirring away as we speak.
Started a batch of broccoli soup in the Intellichef. Whole bag of frozen broccoli, half bag of cauliflower, frozen mini chopped veg, chicken stock. That will be enough for about 8 portions of soup for the coming week.

Phew! Now I am sitting down with a cup of my new fav herbal tea. Pukka Three Ginger. I like it! It contains herbs to help your digestion and I love the ginger zing on the tongue!

There is something else I want to talk about but this post is way long enough already. Have a great Sunday. :)

Gosh u have got a lot on - we've been in the situation where sale has fallen thro - it makes u nervous for the next time doesn't it? As u say all the extra activity will be burning off the calories!

Welcome Mo! Nice to meet you and glad to have you in our team! You certainly sound like you are extremely busy. It must be adding tons to your Body Magic :) I know how much hard work is involved in moving house. i have moved about once a year for the last 10 years. Urgh! You are doing brilliantly to stick to plan while going through all that. How are you avoiding the temptation for quick easy snacks?

Mornig everyone else. Sunday is here and it feels good to have a day off and not feel ill. I actually feel more or less normal today. LOL. But i am going to be extra careful about what goes into my stomach and portion sizes. Small meals are much better right now. I got my tablets/supplements all organised in one of those tablet organisers last night so I don't have to remember what to take and when. A whole weeks worth is all set out for me.

I have been very busy this morning. Feel quite smug about what I have done so far. And all before breakfast! I have to wait 40 mins from my first tablets before I can eat so I decided to get busy.

Started some broccoli seed sprouts off in my new sprouting jar.
Started a pot of yogurt 'brewing' for tomorrow.
Loaded my breadmaker for a spelt loaf and that is busy stirring away as we speak.
Started a batch of broccoli soup in the Intellichef. Whole bag of frozen broccoli, half bag of cauliflower, frozen mini chopped veg, chicken stock. That will be enough for about 8 portions of soup for the coming week.

Phew! Now I am sitting down with a cup of my new fav herbal tea. Pukka Three Ginger. I like it! It contains herbs to help your digestion and I love the ginger zing on the tongue!

There is something else I want to talk about but this post is way long enough already. Have a great Sunday. :)

hi - glad ur feeling better and felt we;; enough for ur flurry of activity this morning! don't worry bout long threads - I for one like them! hope ur day continues to go well!

Hello. Ive just been reading the thread for cheese scones. You are so right they sound wonderful and amazingly versatile. I should be doing jobs but I keep getting sidetracked. I think Im tired really. lol

Back