LJ's Journey to be Slim by Sixty

LJ I find SW a chore quite often. It is not really restrictive but I find I am looking for new recipes but never make them when I do find one, I go back to my normal chicken, sausages, burgers, pork chops with veg, boiled spuds or chips. I do once in a while make a lasagne, but still not want I want. I think I want takeaways especially fish & chips. Or maybe a really lovely pizza.

I talk to myself about what I have and buy. In fact I argue with myself a lot because food is on my mind. I usually set my alarm for 30mins and try not to eat at least till then and sometimes set it again.

I do find it a bit easier when here as I know someone is going to come home and not being alone all day.

We do find it hard don`t we. If I could take off all that I have put on over the years I would be slim now. I can`t though so SW do your best.

Have a good day. Todays food later.

LJ I find SW a chore quite often. It is not really restrictive but I find I am looking for new recipes but never make them when I do find one, I go back to my normal chicken, sausages, burgers, pork chops with veg, boiled spuds or chips. I do once in a while make a lasagne, but still not want I want. I think I want takeaways especially fish & chips. Or maybe a really lovely pizza.

I talk to myself about what I have and buy. In fact I argue with myself a lot because food is on my mind. I usually set my alarm for 30mins and try not to eat at least till then and sometimes set it again.

I do find it a bit easier when here as I know someone is going to come home and not being alone all day.

We do find it hard don`t we. If I could take off all that I have put on over the years I would be slim now. I can`t though so SW do your best.

Do you enjoy cooking Doreen? I do like it when I have time and the money so I enjoy trying out new recipes. New recipes often call for herbs and spices that I don't have so it ends up being an expensive meal. However, I have built up my store cupboard to the point where I have most things now which helps motivate me to make new recipes.

I do miss fish and chips and pizza and indian takeaway. The place I work in the afternoons is opposite a really good fish and chip shop so every lunchtime and every afternoon from 4pm that lovely smell wafts across the road and makes me want some!

I like your idea of using a timer. How often does it work for you?

Looking back on the yoyoing over all those years does help me to keep going. I am determined not to go through this ever again and the only way is to keep picking ourselves up and plodding on even if its two steps forward one step back. That is better than gaining back everything we have list and more.

I wish there was a way to have say one treat meal a week. Sadly I know that would set off the carb cravings and make it hard to stay on plan. Ho hum....

Do you enjoy cooking Doreen? I do like it when I have time and the money so I enjoy trying out new recipes. New recipes often call for herbs and spices that I don't have so it ends up being an expensive meal. However, I have built up my store cupboard to the point where I have most things now which helps motivate me to make new recipes.

I do miss fish and chips and pizza and indian takeaway. The place I work in the afternoons is opposite a really good fish and chip shop so every lunchtime and every afternoon from 4pm that lovely smell wafts across the road and makes me want some!

I like your idea of using a timer. How often does it work for you?

Looking back on the yoyoing over all those years does help me to keep going. I am determined not to go through this ever again and the only way is to keep picking ourselves up and plodding on even if its two steps forward one step back. That is better than gaining back everything we have list and more.

I wish there was a way to have say one treat meal a week. Sadly I know that would set off the carb cravings and make it hard to stay on plan. Ho hum....

Hi again - here's a tasty link for Indian foods - yes it means stocking up on more ingredients (for me at least) and u have to cook it urself but I've tried a couple and they're really good - the non SW people didn't realise it was low fat etc and didn't care when I told them after the meal! Kay's very helpful and seems happy to answer any queries too!

http://www.minimins.com/slimming-wo...na-jalfrezi-balti-madras-korma-many-more.html

Oooh what a tough one working opposite a chippy - u deserve an award for resisting that as often as u do - so I'm proud to present u with the Top Chip Resister of the Year Trophy ...:winner:

Mo if ur reading this - I really will look at ur food now - I keep getting sidetracked with interesting posts - need to sign off here soon too - things to do - places to go etc!

Hello All. Sorry you are not feeling good LJ. Ive been busy today making curtains for a yacht. It was quite a chalenge.nI have made 4 pairs and have a few odd obes to make tomorrow.
Food today- 2 slices of toast. Lunch- A sainsburys be good to yourself low fat chicken korma with rice. Tea- 2 m&s low fat sausages cooked in oven, potato fro 2 jacket potatoes, sprouts and gravy. No fruit in the house today. Must get some tomorrow as I really missed it.

Hi - at last here's my best estimate for ur food yesterday - u'll see I've asked some questions below to enable u to adjust to get an accurate picture.

Have u shown ur SW consultant ur food diaries? They usually ask to see them for the first 4 weeks so that they can help and advise - cos it's tricky and new - I found a bit of a bind in the beginning - but I soon got used to it and find now that I lose best if I keep an accurate record of my Healthy Extras and Syns.

If u have any questions - just shout I'm happy to help.

B: 2 slices of toast = Healthy Ex - B choice - I've assumed it's wholemeal bread and weighs no more than 60g??
scraping of margarine - 3 syns - I've assumed very low fat marg for a level teaspoon and u had about 3 level tsps. u may use less - but we don't get much on a level tsp do we??!!

L: S'bury Be G 2 U - low fat chicken korma & rice - 6 syns I got that from this post but u cd check Syns Online - I'm no longer a member so can't http://www.minimins.com/syn-values/70166-syn-free-low-syn-ready-meals-3.html

T: M&S reduced fat pork sausages - 2 syns each = 4 syns, potato, sprouts, bisto gravy - 3 syns I've assumed 3 level teasps - u may use less - they're 1 syn per level teasp - again a level tsp gives us a tiny amount!!

http://www.minimins.com/syn-values/171861-m-s-premium-pork-sausages-only-2-syns-each.html

TOTAL SYNS = 16 syns - but u may want to check my assumptions!

16 syns is just outside SW's recommendations (but I may have over estimated urs) I find I need to keep to 10 syns or under to lose weight - anyone tried having the full 15 syns regularly and lost??

When checking the syns for gravy I saw a post saying that Bisto powder is half a syn per level teasp - so half of the Bisto granules which I use too - I've seen on here that u can get low fat Bisto granules - so will get them next time.

Cos u always seem to eat a lot less than greedy me - I was surprised how ur syns mounted up - this may be a high day for u so I'll check a couple more of ur days and post them later.

Last edited:
Hello everyone. Ooh that turkey and ham pie sounds good. Well loved my swimming and I think my food was ok too.
Breakfast- 2 toast. Lunch- trout with few kidney beans. Tea- 2 m&s reduced fat pork sausages with baked beans on a slice of bread. Raspberries with yoghurt mullerlight.

Hi - syns and HEs

B - 2 toast, Heb if wholemeal and 60g or less - scraping marg - 3 syns for 3 level tsps
L: trout free if grilled no fat/oil? beans
T: 2 saus - 4syns, bread 3 syns if wholemeal and weighed 30g or less

Total syns = 10 - so a good day but no HEA

Last edited:
Hello Everyone. Wow Doreen your weightloss was brilliant!!! Well done!! Everyone seems so very busy. I must admit I envied the size 12 ! lol. I had a busy morning but Im home again for a few days and cant wait to go swimming tomorrow morning.
Food today- 2 slices of toast. Lunch- trout , rice with peas and corn and kidney beans. Tea- 3 rice cakes, 1 laughing cow triangle, r#spberries and muller light.

B: toast - Heb if wmeal and less than 60g, marg 3 lev teasp = 3 syns
L: trout free if no fat/oil added, rice, peas, corn and kidney beans free
T: 3 rice cakes @ 1.5 syns each = 4.5 syns 1 laughing cow = 2 syns or HEA if light or v light, rasps & muller free

11 syns so under 15 syns - u may want to check my assumptions though.

So I've done a few days now - so looks like ur doing well food wise - I know I cdn't manage eating that little - so well done!

I was surprised at the syn value of the rice cakes - if u were too and ur not eating them cos u love them - u might want to look at the book and check the healthy extra B choices - there's quite a good choice of cracker type things.

U seem to eat food which would fit the RED days - u cd follow that plan if u wanted to and u cd have 2 HE extra A and Bs which wd reduce ur syns for the extra bread for example.

Did u realise that SW asks us to eat 1/3 of superfree food (which is most of the types of fruit & veg) at each meal? The book with all the syns in explains it on page 10 but mine's last year's version so it may be a different page on yours - but I understand the rule still applies.

I'm finding that eating the extra superfree foods is helping my weight loss but not this week yet according to the scales and I feel bloated/fatter too - ugh!

Pls will someone correct me if I'm leading Mo up the garden path?

Also u don't always have ur HEA - nor do I but I do eat a fair bit of quark, from frais, yog for the calcium & I take a daily Vit D and calcium tab as I have osteopenia - the precursor to osteoporosis - it's known as the silent disease cos u can have it and not know about it - like me until I had a bone scan several years ago.

Science & research have helped my mother and I but my grandmother was badly affected - so I always tell ppl about it - apols for the sermon!

Last edited:
Last edited:
Bubble, we can do this. I am starting again too and doing the planning. Well done for picking yourself up. We can do this!

Yep we can, think upndown has just posted a link to my diary, Ive joined in with Kays salad challenge this week, I won't start til tomorrow just got to get the binging out of my system today.
I will be giving it a real good go as I feel I need to knock this 1.5lb off and finally get this stone award.
if 2ltrs of water and a main salad a day doesn't shift it i don't know what will!
Again wishing you all good luck. x

Hello. Thank you so much Upndown. I really didnt mean to out you to so much trouble. Thank you. Your help is really appreciated. I usually try to eat a muller light yoghurt each day and take a daily vitamin. I will aim to getnmore superfree foods into my diet. Thank you.

Superfree. If you don`t want the free veg with your meal Mo you could just have a couple of pieces of fruit after. Strictly speaking the sw rules are if youy don`t have the superfree with your dinner you should have fruit within about 10mins.
Any snacks that you have should also include a third superfree.

Strictly speaking that is ;) x

Hey Upd, I've updated the challenge lovely, here it is :).

THE SALAD CHALLENGE

PARTICIPANTS

KAY
VON
BUBBLES

Some of you have been asking about what my salad challenge will be about, here is a rough guide. Feel free to join in the challenge and adapt it to what suits you best. The Salad Challenge starts tomorrow . :) The Challenge will last for 1 week.

GUIDELINES

- min of 2L of water a day
- low salt as possible in the week
- low carbs as possible (red days work better with this challenge)
- lots of protein and fresh fruit and veg
- add some body magic to the week, even light walking , at least 2-3 times in the week minimum
- one of your main meals in the day has to be salad, it cannot be a side to go with your mains, it has to be your maincourse

Make lots of variety so you don't get bored by day 4 :). Some of the salads in my mind are based around the following ingredients (you can add your own choices too) :-

- egg salad
- bean salad
- tofu salad
- tuna salad
- salmon salad
- chicken salad
- lentil salad

Will be bulking these up with lots of leafy veg. For dressing I am using the kraft bottles which are syn free and ff, they have a nice variety, I think I like the French dressing and Italian dressing the most. I'm not going to add bread sticks or croutons, although that's lush, I want to keep carbs to a minimum so plenty of protein and salad, which means red days will work quiet well with the salad challenge.

Again these are just some of my ideas, adapt it to what suits you and you can always change things as you go along in the week.
We are all hoping to kick some butt with this challenge and get fit for the summer ! :asskick:

Let me know if you want to join in the challenge, it starts tomorrow and we can keep in touch daily and help motivate one another for a successful loss ! :D

Kay xx

Hey Upd, I've updated the challenge lovely, here it is :).

Thanks - this has inspired me to have a chicken salad today and I as have chicken in will have one again 2moro but will vary the salad stuff - I had balsamic vinegar 2day so may have sweet chilli sauce 2moro - oh what an exciting life I lead!

I have upped my water intake from CJ's challenge on this thread - I checked on NHS site and they recommend 1.6 litres so I aim for that but don't always make it! Will try harder on the salad week! Won't be doing it Weds cos that's my WI treat day! so will count today as day 1? if that's ok!

Here's to a good loss next week!!

Another challenge here is to do 10/15 mins (I think) of activity which is outside our 'norm' - today I'll do 30 mins dvd.

Superfree. If you don`t want the free veg with your meal Mo you could just have a couple of pieces of fruit after. Strictly speaking the sw rules are if youy don`t have the superfree with your dinner you should have fruit within about 10mins.
Any snacks that you have should also include a third superfree.

Strictly speaking that is ;) x

Thanks Doreen - I didn't realise we shd be having superfree with snax too! Must start - might lose another couple for ounces - it all helps!! Hope all is ok at ur end?

Hello. Thank you so much Upndown. I really didnt mean to out you to so much trouble. Thank you. Your help is really appreciated. I usually try to eat a muller light yoghurt each day and take a daily vitamin. I will aim to getnmore superfree foods into my diet. Thank you.

Ur very welcome - even tho' I've been doing Sw for years - I learn something almost every time I read the book or chat about it - like Doreen's reminder that we shd be eating superfree with snax too - whoops kind of forgot that!

Thank you for pointing us to the Salad Challenge, upndown. The salad challenge is an interesting one but I made my weeks menu and went shopping this morning so can't join in this week. The other thing is i find it hard to eat salad in this cold weather. I would like to try it another week though when the weather is nice and I can prepare by shopping and planning my meals.

Hi all
Just had a quick catch up.
Demons, demons everywhere! LJ ive done the same this saturday, just craved and had the crap, felt soooo ill afterwards and put me in a mood to kill. Its like some1 else is in control of me. Im a gemini and wonder if i have a dual personality sometimes. :rolleyes:
I think its upndown that says its how we deal with it afterwards that matters.
New week for me so planning to give it my all again. Keep going everyone - supporting eachother is key.

Upndown- did u enjoy the jelly cheesecake? Sets nicely doesnt it?

Have a lovely week guys. X

Sent from my GT-I9100 using MiniMins.com mobile app

Those weekend demons are the worst! They must have been out in force this weekend! I am still feeling the effects and feel bloated. Why do we do it to ourselves??

Thank you. I agree, my kids were restricted on tv when they were young and although Flynn does not seem too bad - although not well enough for school - it is nice to be able to catch up without too many interuptions. Bless.

I worry about eating too much which is why I was cross about the mullers. But yes better that maybe sandwiches which is what I fancied.

We often have the discussion about portions and eating to much. I for one don't feel satisfied unless I feel stuffed.. So I am slowly learning to have smaller portions. Weighing out actual portion sizes.. Eg 60g rice rather than probably twice that!

I agree with upndown, 6 muller lights are better than the alternative. So you should be pleased you still stuck to plan.

CJ I agree with everything you said. I didn't link it with the gain last week until I just read your comment. You may have hit the nail on the head. It's quite a blow to know you have to lose that weight a second time after a gain. Quite demoralising.

I do have much stronger reactions to certain foods now.

Hope you are feeling better today. I feel OK and have new determination.

Yes it is annoying! That we could be loosing but we have to re loose this extra weight now.

I have new determination to, I will not let these food demons beat me!

Together we can all do this, once and for all!

Ok some ideas for you..

if you fancy pizza.. You could have the asda bfree wraps (1 is a hexb) and you could put tinned tomatoes, cheese, mushrooms, bacon etc on and grill or oven cook!

If you like donner kebabs, I came across a recipe that it said to taste just like it! I can post that if your interested.

Fish and chips... You could make a sw version, without the batter... Or see if there is a low ish syn batter??

Hi again - here's a tasty link for Indian foods - yes it means stocking up on more ingredients (for me at least) and u have to cook it urself but I've tried a couple and they're really good - the non SW people didn't realise it was low fat etc and didn't care when I told them after the meal! Kay's very helpful and seems happy to answer any queries too!

http://www.minimins.com/slimming-wo...na-jalfrezi-balti-madras-korma-many-more.html

Oooh what a tough one working opposite a chippy - u deserve an award for resisting that as often as u do - so I'm proud to present u with the Top Chip Resister of the Year Trophy ...:winner:

Mo if ur reading this - I really will look at ur food now - I keep getting sidetracked with interesting posts - need to sign off here soon too - things to do - places to go etc!

Oooh I do love a curry, thanks for this link!

Back