Long term after effects??

Neaady

I'm just wondering if anybody else knows about any long term after effects that this diet can cause?
I've been getting on great the last 3 weeks (with plenty of ups and downs of course) but at the weekend my aunty and uncle were up visiting and i told them i was on this diet - my aunty told me to get off this diet as soon as i could cause her daugher (my cousin) was on this diet years ago and developed a wheat intolerance a few weeks after - she has to live on gluten free products now for the rest of her life. the doctors told her it was down to this diet that her body didn't know how to process them kind of foods when she went back onto them and thats why she became sick.
she also told me about my other cousin who was also on this diet a couple of years back and she developed Crohns disease afterwards - she had done damage to her bowels cause she wasn't eating solid foods for such a long period of time.
this has me really worried... im starting to think is it really worth it if there's a posibility i could end up with some sort of long term health damaging after effect.... i want to keep going till halloween anyways and then maybe join WW after that or something.... i just dont know what to do...

Hi Neaady :)

It's not definite that the things your cousins developed were down to Lipotrim, but if they were, then there's a couple of things you could do if you're worried.

With regards to the wheat intolerance, it's possible that your cousin didn't re-feed properly or for long enough. If you introduce foods back in the right order and really follow the re-feeding advice religiously then nothing like that should happen.

If you want to have some solids in the Lipotrim diet, have a couple of flapjacks every week.

I did this diet from the beginning of 2008 for six or so months, losing seven stone and I didn't have any problems at all. ...and I only put any weight back on during pregnancy a couple of years later.

I don't think that those things are anything to worry about as long as you make sure you follow the diet properly. :)

Hi Neaady,
I did the TFR program 5 years ago for just short of 6 months and towards the end suffered from hair thinning. I didn't go bald and it wasn't noticable to anyone bar myself but I feel I had been on it for a tad too long and took it as an indicator to give it a break for a while. Then fell pregnant!! They do highlight this as a possible side affect for a few (not the falling pregnant:Dalthough some would argue this to be a side affect of lossing weight lol). You would hope that if the above mentioned were true and proven side affects that they too would have been mentioned in their dvd.

Thanks guys, feeling a bit better now after reading your comments. My mum isn't too happy with me being on this diet so I think she's trying to find as many horror story's as she can to try and persuade me to come off it and just eat healthy. A couple of my friends have said it to me too that I lost just over 3 stone doing WW last year, why couldn't I just go back to that, but I'm a yoyo Ww dieter for the last 10 years and always end up putting weight on again so that's why I've started this diet. It will get me to my target quicker and hopefully when I see the results they will be motivation enough to keep it off this time once and for all!

Neaady you're not alone with the external pressure and finger wagging. But when you do this and get yourself to a place where you're happy........let's see how many fingers wag;)

Most of the people I mention it too are alarmed by its restrictive nature.

But the whole idea of TFR is to retrain our thinking and hopefully our tastebuds so that we can slowly start to manage food better in our lives and start treating food the way it should be treated, as fuel and not use it for comfort.

We are bombarded every day with food ads and cookery shows. Everywhere we turn food is being forced upon us, it's no wonder it becomes an obsession and a problem!!! This isn't a lifestyle choice, it's a remedy to the problem so that the choices we make in the future aren't clouded by 'oh my G.. I'm massive, what the hell, where's the chocolate'!!!! Get the weight off and then start living and loving.

The only thing worrying me a bit is the inevitable hair loss. I did this diet 3 yrs ago and I lost lots of hair but it did grow back so it's only temporary.

The only other long term side effects are health and well being....oh and wearing skinny clothes...yey!!!!

I can live with the latter side effects:D And if you are unfortunate to be affected by the hair one it doesn't take long correcting itself in my experience. Ahh sure wouldn't it be so much worse if it was your teeth LOL Now that's a side effect I couldn't live with!!!!!

Lol @ ccmaker but oh so true.

Back