looking for CC friends but...

On the 5:2 diet you're supposed to eat at maintenance on the days your not fasting.

My honest thought is that you'll feel extremely deprived and won't last that long on it! Not to mention getting adequate nutrition will be extremely difficult. I can't stress strongly enough that it's really not a very good idea. (Not saying 5:2 itself is bad, just the method suggested above)

That's the problem with starting at 1200 calories, you've got no where to go if you need to reduce them if your weight loss stalls.

I think you should considering upping your current calorie intake. Especially as you mentioned you were fairly active in a previous post? 1200 isn't the magic number for weight loss. I've never eaten below 1700 net and I usually eat between 1900-2300 calories per day and I've lost nearly 5 stone!

Now I'm on my phone so can't see your stats but I'm going to guess that you can safely up the calories and still lose. In fact you may be able to lose more because you'll be providing your body with adequate fuel. It's better in the long run if you lose weight eating as much as you can whilst still being in a reasonable deficit.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using MiniMins.com mobile app

Hi Stackhead,

Thanks for the advice. Yes. I know what you mean about feeling deprived, I'm just worried my weight loss will stall. During the day I just have an office job so I'm sat at my desk all day, so worry that if I up my calories I'll put weight on rather than lose it. I'm 12st 2lb at the min and trying to get down to 9st. Any advice on the amount of calories I should be eating? xx

Hi Stackhead,

Thanks for the advice. Yes. I know what you mean about feeling deprived, I'm just worried my weight loss will stall. During the day I just have an office job so I'm sat at my desk all day, so worry that if I up my calories I'll put weight on rather than lose it. I'm 12st 2lb at the min and trying to get down to 9st. Any advice on the amount of calories I should be eating? xx

So running your stats as a sedentary 30 year old woman it comes out as 1792 TDEE and 1494 BMR

TDEE Calculator <-- input your actual stats to get the correct numbers

BMR = number of calories your body needs to stay alive i.e. if you were in a coma. Don't eat below this number if you can help it.

TDEE = BMR + daily activity calories = maintenance levels

To lose 1lb per week you need to create a deficit of 3500 calories per week or 500 per day from your TDEE figure.

HOWEVER if you can't cut 500 calories per day without going below your BMR you either need to lower your rate of loss or increase your TDEE with exercise.

So, using the stats above = You should be eating 1500 calories per day which will give you a deficit of 2044 for the week or just over 1/2lb loss.

If you exercise 3 times per week your TDEE goes up to 2054 which means you can eat 1500 calories and lose 1lb per week.

I know it's frustrating but you have to remember that the smaller you get the slower you should lose to make sure when you hit goal your in the best condition possible to stay at maintenance.

Hi ladies, hope your all doing well?

Been sticking to around 1,000 to 1,200 cals this week and I've lost 4lb! :)

I am super happy as I've found it easier than I thought I would because instead of extreme dieting or cutting out certain foods, I've been able to eat whatever I've wanted, just in moderation... Why didn't I think of that before, duh;)

So here's to another good CCing week!
How's everyone else getting on? xxx

Hi ladies, I'm averaging 1400cals at the min aiming for 1200 but can't do it!! I'm a snacker! I love to graze so I've upped my fruit and veg and reduced my carbs a little not much but I've seen an improvement in my energy!

I've lost a pound this week which I'm happy with, if I could get that every week I'd hit my target in 3 months. I think slow and steady is my pace ?

I've also swapped my plate, strange but living with my oh at 6ft3 I can't eat the same portions. Has anyone tries this?!

wrightser said:
Hi ladies, I'm averaging 1400cals at the min aiming for 1200 but can't do it!! I'm a snacker! I love to graze so I've upped my fruit and veg and reduced my carbs a little not much but I've seen an improvement in my energy!

I've lost a pound this week which I'm happy with, if I could get that every week I'd hit my target in 3 months. I think slow and steady is my pace ?

I've also swapped my plate, strange but living with my oh at 6ft3 I can't eat the same portions. Has anyone tries this?!

That's great - slow and steady is by far the best. 1-2lbs a week loss is the thing to aim for to have the best chance of keeping it off long term, so well done! :) xx

Hi Stackhead,

I'm super confused by BMR and TDEE. No idea haha. Could you shed a bit of light on them?

Thanks for all the help! :) xx

BMR is literally the number of calories you would burn if you were in a coma. It's the number of calories your body needs to perform its basic functions, like breathing.

TDEE is your BMR number plus any calories you accrue through your daily activity, like walking etc...

hope that clears that up :)

Hello! I'm relatively new to CC and do use MFP but have always found minimins a more friendly forum. Having tried weight watchers and slimming world I find that CC is the perfect balance of being allowed to eat what I like and discipline...if that makes sense! My average daily intake is 1600 calories a day as recommended by MFP. Fingers crossed this works! xx

lydia86 said:
Hello! I'm relatively new to CC and do use MFP but have always found minimins a more friendly forum. Having tried weight watchers and slimming world I find that CC is the perfect balance of being allowed to eat what I like and discipline...if that makes sense! My average daily intake is 1600 calories a day as recommended by MFP. Fingers crossed this works! xx

That sounds like a sensible amount to aim for - hope it goes well! :) xx

Hi ,

Thanks for that Stackhead :) makes more sense now! Well done everyone on their losses! And wrightser. I know exactly what u mean about swapping your plate. I always use a smaller bowl or plate now because it looks like your having more! So I try and trick my brain and belly into thinking I'm not hungry! Lol. Weigh in day for me tomorrow. Fingers crossed! Xx

Lost 2lbs this week (Thursday) much better result than SW . I'm sticking with my allowance 1500 per day but I went away the weekend so lowered it Thursday/ Friday around 1000 . Was going to do 5.2 but was too hungry and was Totm . I enjoyed my weekend didn't count calories I use mfp and had no internet so I was sensible had small amounts and didn't feel I was missing out at all . I find for me I have more freedom I have the foods I like ( within reason ) but not loads and don't feel deprived at all . I know I can do this for life whereas with some "diets" I have done found I was eating food for the sake of it and although I lost weight it was very slow plus some times I didn't enjoy the food I was eating :( . I think 2lbs per week is achievable and a good amount t to loose . Well done fellow members we can do this :) x

Hi KMD well done you :) I weigh on Thursday's keep up the good work xx

Hi all,

Well done Katsmad and KMD!!!
Fantastic losses :)

Had an ok weekend, even enjoyed 2 glasses of wine on Saturday which I never do as I'm always "dieting"!

Looking forward to this weeks weigh in (Thursday also). Just hope it's a loss!

Good luck for the week ahead :) :) xxx

Thanks mishelly77 Good luck for Thursday you can do it :) know what you mean about the wine ;) x

Hi ..waves... Can I join,? I've been calorie counting and trying to Judd for the past few weeks but I'm not sure where I'm going :-(
I have 2 stone to lose, but to be honest my first goal is a stone!!! I fell off the wagon last week after a busy week in work and just ate everything in sight resulting in 2.5lbs!!! Gutted! Im in a better frame of mind and got back to calorie counting yesterday, using mfp is great and helps me keep on track but hearing how well people are doing keeps me going.... Good luck everyone xx

Hi avamun, and welcome! :)

We all seem to be doing pretty well on the CCing here so jump in and see how you go hun.

Personally, I weigh on a Thursday but I find eating a few less calories per day Monday to Friday means I can have a glass of wine and a treat on a weekend. But, you will find what works well for you.

I find the support here really helpful from everyone!

Good luck and if you need any help/support, just yell :) xx

Back