looking for CC friends but...

Hi all,

Well done Katsmad and KMD!!!
Fantastic losses :)

Had an ok weekend, even enjoyed 2 glasses of wine on Saturday which I never do as I'm always "dieting"!

Looking forward to this weeks weigh in (Thursday also). Just hope it's a loss!

Good luck for the week ahead :) :) xxx

Thank you!! Really loving the kind words off everyone. Really helps with the motivation! :)xx

Hello All,
You all seem to be doing so well. May I join you too? I fell off the CC wagon big time and now want to get back to it. I have regained all my lost weight from last year plus a few bonus pounds too. I weighed this morning and have been jolted to get back to CC. TBH reading this forum helped me last year and it has been no surprise that since I stopped logging on I lost focus. I hope to post regulary and thereby keep from straying x

I did weigh yesterday but I think Thursday weigh-in day will be better as I can re-focus. I always start the week fully commited and by Thursday lose sight. I'm hoping to stick to 1000 cals a day with a fast day of 600 cals twice a week. Thats the grand plan anyway:eek:

I did weigh yesterday but I think Thursday weigh-in day will be better as I can re-focus. I always start the week fully commited and by Thursday lose sight. I'm hoping to stick to 1000 cals a day with a fast day of 600 cals twice a week. Thats the grand plan anyway:eek:

I'm going to have be blunt here. I apologise if I offend anyone by doing so.

That plan is terrible. It is quite possibly one of the worst things you can do to your body. If you do this you run an incredibly high risk of doing serious damage to yourself, both through lack of nutrients and lack of energy. I cannot stress strongly enough how much you should not do that plan.

If you are following the 5:2 fasting plan then on non-fasting days you eat at maintenance!

Your current maintanence levels will be around 1648 calories (based you on being a 35 year old woman and sedentary - if you're younger/do more exercise it'll be higher). Your Basel Matabolic Rate (BMR) i.e. the number of calories the hospital would give you if you were in a coma is 1373 - that is how many calories you need to keep your heart beating, to ensure your lungs fill with air, for your stomach to digest food - to literally keep you alive.

You plan to eat below this number by almost 400 calories. So here's what will happen:
1. Your metabolism will slow.
Your body does this to conserve energy. It will slow. You will then have to eat less to avoid gaining weight. It will then slow down some more. You will eventually get to the point that you can't eat less and your metabolism is slow. So you will gain weight. Like crazy gain weight. Then you will try to lose that weight. And the whole cycle begins again.

2. Nutrient deficiencies.
Unless you're spot on with your diet profile and variation you're going to be seriously lacking in vital nutrients. Your hair will thin. Your skin will suffer. You'll get headaches. You will feel sluggish and tired. You will feel sick.

3. Massive lean mass loss.
It is easier for your body to take energy from muscle than fat when in a deficit. Your muscles are just one big glucose (energy) store. If you do a drastic cut in calories, your body will literally eat your muscles to get energy. Muscles are hard to get back once their gone. Not only that but your heart is a muscle, a big one. Think about that.

Anecdotally:
You'll be hungry, and cranky and probably fairly miserable to be around. The chances of you falling off the wagon and binging are sky high.

Unless you are on a medically supervised/official VLCD very low calorie diet plan you should not eat below BMR.

There are sticky's in the Calorie Counting page detailing how to work out how many calories you should be eating. Or I can do some sums for you. Either way. But please re-think your plan.

I'm going to have be blunt here. I apologise if I offend anyone by doing so.

That plan is terrible. It is quite possibly one of the worst things you can do to your body. If you do this you run an incredibly high risk of doing serious damage to yourself, both through lack of nutrients and lack of energy. I cannot stress strongly enough how much you should not do that plan.

If you are following the 5:2 fasting plan then on non-fasting days you eat at maintenance!

Your current maintanence levels will be around 1648 calories (based you on being a 35 year old woman and sedentary - if you're younger/do more exercise it'll be higher). Your Basel Matabolic Rate (BMR) i.e. the number of calories the hospital would give you if you were in a coma is 1373 - that is how many calories you need to keep your heart beating, to ensure your lungs fill with air, for your stomach to digest food - to literally keep you alive.

You plan to eat below this number by almost 400 calories. So here's what will happen:
1. Your metabolism will slow.
Your body does this to conserve energy. It will slow. You will then have to eat less to avoid gaining weight. It will then slow down some more. You will eventually get to the point that you can't eat less and your metabolism is slow. So you will gain weight. Like crazy gain weight. Then you will try to lose that weight. And the whole cycle begins again.

2. Nutrient deficiencies.
Unless you're spot on with your diet profile and variation you're going to be seriously lacking in vital nutrients. Your hair will thin. Your skin will suffer. You'll get headaches. You will feel sluggish and tired. You will feel sick.

3. Massive lean mass loss.
It is easier for your body to take energy from muscle than fat when in a deficit. Your muscles are just one big glucose (energy) store. If you do a drastic cut in calories, your body will literally eat your muscles to get energy. Muscles are hard to get back once their gone. Not only that but your heart is a muscle, a big one. Think about that.

Anecdotally:
You'll be hungry, and cranky and probably fairly miserable to be around. The chances of you falling off the wagon and binging are sky high.

Unless you are on a medically supervised/official VLCD very low calorie diet plan you should not eat below BMR.

There are sticky's in the Calorie Counting page detailing how to work out how many calories you should be eating. Or I can do some sums for you. Either way. But please re-think your plan.

No offence taken - all advice considered. After all thats why i'm here. After years of trying to do things my way I have accumalated more lard than any Sainsburys fats and spreads asile. I will work out a realistic CC.

KayaM said:

Oh my goodness, I endorse everything Stackhead said about this idea, with knobs on! Please don't do this to yourself!! :) xx

Stayed the same this which I'm fine with as I was away last weekend going for a loss this week as I away again next weekend I never go away then I'm away twice in the same month (like busses ) haha have a good week everyone x

Sorry for mis spelling I'm in a rush again !

No offence taken - all advice considered. After all thats why i'm here. After years of trying to do things my way I have accumalated more lard than any Sainsburys fats and spreads asile. I will work out a realistic CC.

Is there any chance you can work out my numbers?! I feel I'm not doing as I should! Either eating to much or too little.

I'm 5ft 2, 27 nearly 28. My weight is Bang on 9 stone but my frame is slight, I look like I'm much bigger. I'm tired all the time!!
I'm a teacher and I move about during the day but exercise wise I do very little at the min

Thanks in advance x

Hi guys *waves*
Everyone is doing so great, I've come over from SW too, initally it was more a case of eating down the freezer as it's full of low calorie ready meals which somehow are really high syn (go figure!) :rolleyes: but also because I've been doing it since Jan and not lost anything because i keep falling off the wagon.

I lost 3 stone doing CC'ing when i got married 5 years ago so i know it can be done (albeit slower because I'm older and less active now)

Already struggling though because MFP says i should be having 1200 (i'm 5ft nothing) and i only have 200 cals left after my dinner and breakfast! :eek:
I shall get back into, just need to retrain my tummy lol

Good luck to everyone for your next wi :D xx

Hi pixie-gem I switch from sw to CC on sw lost 4 1/2 lbs in 7 weeks and 4 1/2 lbs on CC in two weeks ! CC works better for me so sticking with it Good luck x

Hi pixie-gem I switch from sw to CC on sw lost 4 1/2 lbs in 7 weeks and 4 1/2 lbs on CC in two weeks ! CC works better for me so sticking with it Good luck x

Thanks Hun, you too :) x

Is there any chance you can work out my numbers?! I feel I'm not doing as I should! Either eating to much or too little.

I'm 5ft 2, 27 nearly 28. My weight is Bang on 9 stone but my frame is slight, I look like I'm much bigger. I'm tired all the time!!
I'm a teacher and I move about during the day but exercise wise I do very little at the min

Thanks in advance x

Hi,

Sorry it took a couple of days! I'm rubbish at checking in.

So your BMR is 1261.

A sedentary TDEE is 1513. However I don't think that accurately reflects your activity levels, because your not sedentary. Trying to incorporate acitivity like yours becomes a little difficult and you end with numbers that swing between 1734 and 2065.

I think a good judgement would be 1734 as your TDEE but if you wear a pedometer or something similar we can more accuarate.

As it is, we'll work out the numbers for sedentary and lower of the activity based TDEE's. Because your already quite small aiming for a loss above 1lb a week isn't possible. You should be aiming for 0.5lbs per week. So, at sedentary (which I don't think you are!):

BMR - 1261
TDEE - 1513
You should aim to eat 1300 calories per day - which would give you a deficit of 1491 calories per week (just under 0.5lb loss).

At a higher activity level (i.e. to take into account your movement throughout the day):

BMR - 1261
TDEE - 1734
You should aim to eat 1475 calories per day which gives you a deficit of 1813 calories per week (just over 0.5lbs loss)

Remember that the aim is to always eat as much as possible whilst losing weight to help yourself when you get to goal.

If you try the higher number first for at least 3 weeks, if that doesn't work, drop 50-100 calories off it and try for another 3 weeks.

Hi pixie-gem how you getting on ? As for myself to be totally honest although I'm doing well on CC I have noticed I've been getting headaches recently plus getting spots ( at nearly 50 ) so got me thinking maybe I'm not eating enough as I've also been more tired :( I'm not sure if CC is the reason but does seem a bit of a coincidence . So for now have decided to go back to the SW plan just to see if it makes any different ? I also think that I'm not eating as healthy on CC as I did on SW not really had a lot of fruit . Will see how I get on think ill watch my portion sizes this time as I think I was eating for the sake of it before ! Good luck with it x

Hi pixie-gem how you getting on ? As for myself to be totally honest although I'm doing well on CC I have noticed I've been getting headaches recently plus getting spots ( at nearly 50 ) so got me thinking maybe I'm not eating enough as I've also been more tired :( I'm not sure if CC is the reason but does seem a bit of a coincidence . So for now have decided to go back to the SW plan just to see if it makes any different ? I also think that I'm not eating as healthy on CC as I did on SW not really had a lot of fruit . Will see how I get on think ill watch my portion sizes this time as I think I was eating for the sake of it before ! Good luck with it x

Hey Hun, I'm doing good thank you, have noticed that I've been using more calories on snacks than on meals, so I think I'm going to use the SW way of 300 cals (15 syns) on sweets/crisps etc as a form of in built control on the "bad stuff" but I really enjoy eating foods I love without synning then because they aren't free, and I don't miss having to have superfree with every meal lol

Because i have so much to lose I'm having up to 1600 cals (my BMR is 1599 and I'm not active at all) so I don't feel hungry (unless I eat too much chocolate lol)

I hope SW works for you again, it works for loads of people, I think, for me, I need an element of control which I don't think it provides and also as soon as you tell me I can't have something I'll binge on it (like a kid having a tantrum lol) if I can have what I want I'm far less likely to overeat now that I've upped my calories (I was on 1200 and starving!)

I wish you lots of luck in whatever way you choose :D x

That sounds like a really good idea may give that a try myself and totally agree with the ss food I always struggle with that . I away the weekend and have decided to have a mini break from diets but will be good from Monday sometimes I think your body needs a break then you're ready to start again that's my thinking :) x

Oh have a fab weekend! :) and I absolutely agree about bodies needing a break sometimes :) x

I had a gain the first week with SW and then lost very little - was eating far too much "free" food which when I added it up was coming in at over 2,000 cals per day even though it was healthy stuff like fruit and on green days as much as you want of pasta, rice and potatoes just did not work for me.

Back to CC - doing my first week now.

Good luck systema with CC don't think SW works for everyone it hasn't for me and I've been a member for 20+ years on and off ! I wish it would though as sometimes counting everything you eat can get a bit much which on SW you don't really need to do that especially once you know what you're doing but having said that at the end of the day I want to loose weight at a decent rate or ill give up and by counting calories I am getting the results I want I have been thinking about doing SW plan as I said in previous post spots headaches ... but think ill be sticking with CC but just try to eat more healthier foods salads and veg lean meats . Minimins is fantastic always lots of advice and encouragement it's definitely helping me x

Back