Looking for Weight Loss Buddies

I eat out a lot too, usually once and often twice a week, and save up my syns to cover it. That meal you described through sounds like it would be on plan without having to save any syns, especially if you don't drink! It does sound like you're being quite hard on yourself. I go out for curry once a fortnight, I have a menu that works for me and adds up to 23.5 syns, I save syns on the 2 days either side to cover it and I have never (so far!) not had a loss.

I always try to do at least one new recipe a week, as boredom is a healthy eating killer for me! This week I've done the SW salmon fish cakes which were lovely, and at the moment I've got the BBQ pulled pork in my slow cooker for tonight :)

I cant do anything high impact due to a damaged knee (car accident) and find it hard to get to the gym/pool around full time work and single-mum duties, but I use a mini trampoline at home (a rebounder) which I have lots of fun bouncing around on to music lol :)

That's reassuring to hear :). It's great that Slimming World is a diet that does not impact people's social lives. I did have a cheeky glass of red one week, but only lost half a pound, and of course blamed it on that (it couldn't possibly have been my 'lady week' - sorry, tmi). Do you have syn free days either side of eating out, or do you find that just having a lower number is sufficient?

Fish cakes are yummy - which cook book is that recipe in?

I'm so sorry to hear of your car accident and injury. I was the front seat passenger in a head on collision 3 years ago, and I understand as best as I can how hard that must have been for you. I hope you are on the mend now. It sounds like you have a busy lifestyle! My friend is a single mum and works almost full time hours, and she never seems to sit down! Working out to music is a great idea. I've got Just Dance on my Wii, but I feel silly playing that on my own - maybe I should give it a go with the curtains drawn!

Whatever you are doing must be working, as you have done so well. I feel quite inspired this morning now :).

Don't blame it on the red haha, just syn it and it's fine :) I used to be a BIG red wine drinker, I drink an awful lot less since starting SW and it's usually gin and slimline tonic now. If I'm going to drink red I save enough syns to cover a bottle as I can't stop at one glass :D

Cutting my syns down either side I find is sufficient, I don't think I've ever gone right down to zero. For example this week on Tuesday I had 3.5 syns, Wednesday I went out for curry so 23.5 syns, and yesterday I had 2 syns. That averages just under 10 syns a day which I know is fine for me. I always consider my syns a weekly rather than a daily total and aim to average between 8-10 a day as I know that works for me. Any more, or any less, and I get a smaller loss.

The fish cakes were either in the newest magazine or the one before, recently anyway :)

My car accident was 9 years ago now and my knee is as repaired as it's ever going to get, the weight loss is helping a lot, I'll probably need a knee replacement at some point but they say I'm too young for it really so they're just keeping an eye on it for now with an annual MRI scan.

I've got Just dance! Definitely do it it's great fun :D Never having time to sit down also helps haha

*shuffles in*

Can I join, please :)?

Having a bit of a difficult couple of weeks. I've noticed my losses really stalling. I did lose 2lb last week, but the weight didn't come off until the day before weigh in, and that was because I was really ill with what I suspect was a vomiting bug or food poisoning. Last month, I was getting losses like that without anything bad like illness happening to me. This week, I seem to have gained 2lb! I've been really good, and it is starting to get me down, watching my partner eat Chinese takeaway (on weigh day as well!) and looking on longingly at others consuming all the unhealthy food I am craving. We are all different, though, and at least I know I am making a lifestyle change for the better. Still, sometimes I wish my body behaved more like others' and I didn't have to watch what I eat so much - it is likely my medication, which I started last year, is to blame. My weight went up to 10 stone practically overnight when I started it, so I'm concerned I'm going to have to call target early. I'd like to at least get into the healthy BMI range comfortably before I give up. I'm quite short, so everyone really noticed my weight gain last year, especially since I used to be quite (arguably, too) small.

I hope I can beat this, and would love to chat to like-minded people - hopefully I can lend an ear as well, and we can do this together!

When I was between my half stone and 1 stone awards, I had a really hard time losing any real weight, I was losing 0.5lbs a week at most. One week I even gained 0.5lbs when I'd been good as gold. For the last 4/5 weeks I've lost 2lbs a week at least, consistently, and I'm not doing anything differently. I think sometimes you can be doing everything right and your body just takes some time to react. How much more do you have to lose before you're at target?

Hi Wine&RugbyKindaGirl,

I've got just over 1.5 stone left to lose. The other thing that I find is that my weight loss stalls around the next stone category - must be coincidence lol, but it feels like my body's trying to fight it!

Hi Wine&RugbyKindaGirl,

I've got just over 1.5 stone left to lose. The other thing that I find is that my weight loss stalls around the next stone category - must be coincidence lol, but it feels like my body's trying to fight it!

The only advice I can give really is make sure you're drinking more fluid than you feel like you need (I get through so much NAS Vimto squash haha), and just keep at it and eventually your hard work will pay off. It may also be worth taking your measurements and checking for inch loss too. I'm sure you'll get there soon enough :)

The only advice I can give really is make sure you're drinking more fluid than you feel like you need (I get through so much NAS Vimto squash haha), and just keep at it and eventually your hard work will pay off. It may also be worth taking your measurements and checking for inch loss too. I'm sure you'll get there soon enough :)

Do you notice a difference with your weight loss if you don't drink loads of water Must admit I only drink water as in squash/soda. No hot drinks. No coke or lemonade.

Well ended up at the drs today and it turns out I've got a secondary chest infection and drs hoping that it's phlegm on my lung and nothing else. As my breathing is too quick and too shallow. I have ended losing 4lb but that's due to being ill and not eating. Just hoping once I get a bit better and start eating again the weight won't pile on. So anyone got any ideas that will stop the weight loss coming back to bite my butt next week xx

Do you notice a difference with your weight loss if you don't drink loads of water Must admit I only drink water as in squash/soda. No hot drinks. No coke or lemonade.

Well ended up at the drs today and it turns out I've got a secondary chest infection and drs hoping that it's phlegm on my lung and nothing else. As my breathing is too quick and too shallow. I have ended losing 4lb but that's due to being ill and not eating. Just hoping once I get a bit better and start eating again the weight won't pile on. So anyone got any ideas that will stop the weight loss coming back to bite my butt next week xx

I 100% notice a difference if I don't drink enough. I'm on the contraceptive injection so I have a tendency to retain water if I don't drink enough. I just make sure I always have a pint of squash near me. I think my weight loss this week is partly down to drinking like a fish with all the coughing I've been doing.
Hope you're soon better by the way x

Wooo after my awful binge last weekend (blame the flu) I've lost another 3.5 :O don't know how but not complaining hahahha XD

Well done Eloira!

I'm feeling pretty annoyed and fed up with myself right now.

Kind of had a binge today. Just didn't stop eating. Part of it is that I know I have gained this week, things are becoming harder and my willpower is fading as a result. I went on a bit of a shopping spree today and found some really nice tops, but my belly showing is a real problem. Looking at the rest of me, I can't see how much more weight can come off. The weight being carried around the stomach is a well known effect of the medication I'm on.

Had what I'm estimating was 25 syns today. I had a meal of light Penne Arrabbiata at Prezzo (383 calories = 19 syns?) and also couldn't resist pinching one of my partner's chips. I then had a serious chocolate craving when I got home, so I had two Hi-Fi light bars. So, another 6 syns.

I also had seconds of tomato, vegetable and lentil soup at lunchtime, and although it is homemade and free, I ate until I was really full. It was like there was no 'off switch'.

I'm kind of the opinion that if I cannot be slim, then I cannot muster up any more energy. I'd rather enjoy life and concentrate on slimming down when I come off this frightful medication, which could be years away. Then, there's the wanting to start a family, so the weight will go back on anyway, and will obviously be a low priority.

My weight rarely went above 9 stone before starting this medication (it usually fluctuated between 8 and 9 stone) and I ate much more unhealthily than now.

I feel like a lost cause, and wish someone could convince me otherwise, but it is so hard. I'm embarrassed to admit this, but I have suffered from alcohol issues in the past, before I went on medication, as a way of numbing out my anxiety and depression. I managed to get help and sort myself out. But, it was a battle and now I feel I have no fight in me to deal with this food addiction, which I think could well be substitution for the alcohol. My low self-esteem is making this very difficult.

Last edited:
Hun, stop beating yourself up. This is not a bad binge. Don't forget your pasta at Prezzo is going to have a lot of free foods in it so it won't be anywhere near that many syns. One chip isn't going to break the bank. Your lunchtime Soup is free, you can have as much as you like, it's on plan, it's fine. And you dealt with your craving with hifi bars when a lot of us would have reached for the Cadburys!

You are not a lost cause. You clearly have strength and willpower and determination - you only need to look at yourself to prove it. You have lost over a stone already despite being on medication that works against you. You were also self aware enough to realise you were using alcohol as a crutch and you were brave enough to ask for help and you dealt with it.

Now repeat after me, at least 10 times :"I am amazing"

Because you are!

Thanks, flashharry <3.

I was having a really bad night and would not stop dwelling on things. I think, sometimes, I allow myself less than the 'average' person, because I know I'm going to find the weight harder to lose. But, I do need to stop beating myself up - so many people have told me that - maybe it's time to start taking their advice.

Happy Mothers' Day, by the way! Hope your children are spoiling you rotten :). X

I'm feeling pretty annoyed and fed up with myself right now. Kind of had a binge today. Just didn't stop eating. Part of it is that I know I have gained this week, things are becoming harder and my willpower is fading as a result. I went on a bit of a shopping spree today and found some really nice tops, but my belly showing is a real problem. Looking at the rest of me, I can't see how much more weight can come off. The weight being carried around the stomach is a well known effect of the medication I'm on. Had what I'm estimating was 25 syns today. I had a meal of light Penne Arrabbiata at Prezzo (383 calories = 19 syns?) and also couldn't resist pinching one of my partner's chips. I then had a serious chocolate craving when I got home, so I had two Hi-Fi light bars. So, another 6 syns. I also had seconds of tomato, vegetable and lentil soup at lunchtime, and although it is homemade and free, I ate until I was really full. It was like there was no 'off switch'. I'm kind of the opinion that if I cannot be slim, then I cannot muster up any more energy. I'd rather enjoy life and concentrate on slimming down when I come off this frightful medication, which could be years away. Then, there's the wanting to start a family, so the weight will go back on anyway, and will obviously be a low priority. My weight rarely went above 9 stone before starting this medication (it usually fluctuated between 8 and 9 stone) and I ate much more unhealthily than now. I feel like a lost cause, and wish someone could convince me otherwise, but it is so hard. I'm embarrassed to admit this, but I have suffered from alcohol issues in the past, before I went on medication, as a way of numbing out my anxiety and depression. I managed to get help and sort myself out. But, it was a battle and now I feel I have no fight in me to deal with this food addiction, which I think could well be substitution for the alcohol. My low self-esteem is making this very difficult.

Hope your feeling better now. Please don't beat yourself up over it. You have done so so well.

No more negative thoughts allowed :)

Totally agree with flashharry. It's important not to overthink it aswell, which can be difficult I know. They're just eating habits at the end of the day. Take it one meal, one food choice, at a time. All your good decisions will add up and you'll be at target before you know it, wondering why you ever thought of giving up.

I do think it's important to mention, however, that if you feel like you need to call target early because of your medication, there's no shame in that. As long as you're happy.

Is there an alternative to the medication you're on, or does it have to be this one?

Unfortunately, I don't think there's any alternatives to the medication I'm on that aren't antidepressants (which really don't seem to agree with me). I tried to go without anything the year before last, as I was too scared to try anything else, but unfortunately that's when things got pretty hopeless. I'm on Lyrica for my anxiety - the highest possible dosage (and the highest potential weight gain!), unfortunately. I'd love to go back to the stage where I can cope by myself, again - hopefully I will one day. In the meantime, I find it hard to believe I've exhausted all avenues yet :).

I just wanted to thank you all for your kind words - I'm feeling a little better now. Visiting my parents for a couple of days, who have planned to cook a lovely (and syn-free!) casserole tonight - can't wait!

Bleurgh, WI last night and just managed half a pound.

I think I am going to have to change my eating habits.
Am I the only one who finds three meals a day too much in one go?
Feel quite ill after eating a bigger meal unless it is fruit, just had some stew with some carrots, the sauce was made from speed foods (blitzed) and added lean fish, chicken and ham to it. I ate additional carrots to accompany the stew as I felt the proportions were wrong.
Now feeling like a pig and a bit down about my losses as it has become sooooo hard to lose! :(

Bleurgh, WI last night and just managed half a pound.

I think I am going to have to change my eating habits.
Am I the only one who finds three meals a day too much in one go?
Feel quite ill after eating a bigger meal unless it is fruit, just had some stew with some carrots, the sauce was made from speed foods (blitzed) and added lean fish, chicken and ham to it. I ate additional carrots to accompany the stew as I felt the proportions were wrong.
Now feeling like a pig and a bit down about my losses as it has become sooooo hard to lose! :(

It's still half a pound in the right direction, so well done :)

Back