• Upgrades have been completed! Including conversations, 😁😎🏀⚾⚽ Emojis and more.. Read more

LOSE/LOOSE

I do not profess to be an A-level english student but the continuous wrong use of the words LOSE and LOOSE winds me up no end so here ya go.....:rolleyes:

LOSE (pronounced looz or sounds like zoo's with a L) means to banish from ones sight. eg "I will lose weight this week"
lose - Definitions from Dictionary.com

LOOSE (pronounced l-who-se or noose with an L) means to be of a slack fit. eg "the trousers were of a loose fit"
loose - Definitions from Dictionary.com

:p:p:p
A bloody Yorkshire man teaching people english lol:D:D:D

Get Rid of this ad and join in on the conversation for free today! Tap here!

KD

Gone fishing
I know what you mean, but it's a really common mistake. I've probably done it myself when I've been typing quickly and multitasking.

It doesn't help that Loose starts with loo but pronounced differently IYKWIM.

I see another on the cambridge forum. Mousse and Mouse. It's amazing how many people make their packs into mice.

chunkychops

Silver Member
S: 14st0lb C: 13st0lb G: 10st10lb BMI: 25.4 Loss: 1st0lb(7.14%)
Im Welsh so cant spell anyhoo x

howdy-doody

Eloquent hooligan
S: 14st13lb C: 13st11lb G: 12st0lb BMI: 31.1 Loss: 1st2lb(7.66%)
Add they're, their & there to the list too ;)

I can wear the fast typing excuse but not all the time, as someone just done it again I reckon just to wind me up lol
common ones I understand are:-
They're there their
where were we're
is his
even wait and weight occasionally
but can you imagine saying 'Any which way but LOSE' or 'LOOSE your shirt'?

Eclipse

Gold Member
Another pet hate of mine is "i should of" instead of "i should have".

Also pronouncing "aitch" as "haitch" grrrrrrrrrrr

Another pet hate of mine is "i should of" instead have "i should have".

Also pronouncing "aitch" as "haitch" grrrrrrrrrrr
tut tut :p x

KD

Gone fishing
Another pet hate of mine is "i should of" instead of "i should have".
Oh my!!! I used to always do that when I was at school. Used to drive my teacher nuts (notice the spelling nuts....not nutz)

howdy-doody

Eloquent hooligan
I know, I know, I am very pedantic lol
There's nothing so elegant as the English language in the hands of those who know who to use it properly... :)

Alliteration, locquacity & verbosity... they're like like an orgasm for your tongue and ears :D

howdy you are sick.....no way could I pull one off saying those words, but im going to have a go lol

cuddlyfairy

Gold Member
S: 18st9lb G: 9st0lb
Spelling is not my forte but I always try to get things written correctly. I have problems working out if I mean practice or practise and absense or absence. Chose and choose are also words spelt wrong.

Rite, kids ave skool twomorow better sort em out! Lol!!!

x

howdy-doody

Eloquent hooligan
howdy you are sick.....no way could I pull one off saying those words, but im going to have a go lol
I got a woman into bed by purring 'mellifluous' & 'inflection' down the phone... ;) It's all about the intonation :D

Words are ace ! :D

Teg

Posts when she can
Ya must be looking at my threads so cause i'm the worst speller in the world. Was dislexic as a child but have really worked on it. Its my brain doing overtime (so the experts say) ...lol

howdy-doody

Eloquent hooligan
Ya must be looking at my threads so cause i'm the worst speller in the world. Was dislexic as a child but have really worked on it. Its my brain doing overtime (so the experts say) ...lol
I sometimes do that - I'm thinking several words ahead of my typing / writing & sometimes my thinking words blurt out though my hands rather than the words I should be writing :rolleyes:

Worst case for this is chess - you work out several moves ahead & it looks ace in your mind - a real complex crafty strategy.... & then you forget the original move which kicks it all off :eek::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Playing chess on acid back in the early 90's was the ultimate headmelt.... :eek::eek::rolleyes::D