Low Carb Bread

vetgat

Hi

Do anyone have a low carb bread recipe where you can get all the ingredients here in the UK?

Thanks

Jo

Hi Jo

I have a low carb bread recipe made with soya flour (only 2g carbs per slice). I post it when I get home.

Jenni

Hi Jo

The recipe as promised.

Low-carbohydrate soya bread

This is a light and tasty bread, the ideal choice for breakfast, lunch or dinner. At only 2g carbohydrates per slice, you can enjoy it in place of wheat bread any time.

50g/2oz full fat soya flour
15ml/1 tbsp baking powder
A good pinch of salt
4 eggs, separated
40g/1.5oz/3 tbsp butter, melted
45ml/3 tbsp creme fraiche

Sift the soya flour, baking powder and salt together.

Beat the egg yolks with the butter and creme fraiche until well blended.

Beat in the flour mixture.

Whisk the egg whites until stiff. Beat 30ml/2 tbsp into the soya flour mixture to slacken it, then fold in the remainder with a metal spoon.

Turn into a greased 450g/1 lb loaf tin, base lined with baking parchment/greaseproof paper, and bake in a preheated oven at 180ºC /350ºF/gas 4/fan oven 160ºC for about 40 minutes or until risen, golden and firm to the touch.

Turn out on a wire rack to cool, then store in a polythene bag in the fridge for up to 3 days, or slice and freeze.

Makes 1 loaf (10 slices)

OOh that does look good. I have a yeast problem and always steer clear of bread and pasta as it gives me excema! Might have to give this a whirl!

Spice that looks really good, why don't you cut and paste it to the recipe stickie.

Does anybody use that quick bread recipe from the original Atkins book (for some reason recipe removed in later editions)? The ex-wife used to make it for me and it was a life-saver with scrambled eggs and my old favourite - curried mince!! Yum. Could also be used for croutons in salads!!

I haven't I'm afraid Craig.

Was a bit like a non-sweet sponge cake but was proper lush and easy to make (well for her anyway, I struggle with toast!!)

Back