Low carb eating (keto) and fasting

I had a disturbed night - up 3 times - with the dog. He'd got an upset tummy. Then when I was dozing after 4am but not yet asleep, it felt like an earthquake happened. I've felt one before here and Mr AG has felt two. No other reports - so maybe it as a low flying fighterjet.

So I slept in and broke my fast at 2.30 with a egg caesar salad and some dark choc. Supper - still winter feasting. A cocktail - tequila, cointreau, lime juice, mint, salt and ice. Some roast potaties , sausage and mushroom veggie gravy. Dark chocolate. Maybe more later.

Last edited:
We're very rural on a deadend - no heavy lorries/trucks this am. We are by the coast - and did feel it when they were pile driving for the offshore wind farm. I doubt they were pile-driving at 4am this morning. It could have been the RAF or USAF - but not sure they would be flying low and fast enough on 29 December. I didn't hear planes - but could have missed them. Usually they fly on a routine - and not at 4am Christmas week ....

Yesterday - lost the plot - forgot to eat but then was delayed at a hospital appointment and had a sandwich at 3pm. Then I had breakfast with white bread rolls for supper.

That's so strange - a year ago, I could never have forgotten to eat. Eating higher protein and low carb has changed my relationship with food. I still can feel compelled - sweet things, sourdough and really good white bread - and cheese oatcakes. I avoid the issue by not having them in the house most of the time. I slipped a few months ago on a tesco shop (self sabotage with a bag of donuts) and with chocolates from Lidl.

This am - 12.30pm break fast with bacon, mushroom in creamy sauce and 2 eggs. More later.

Yesterday - lost the plot - forgot to eat but then was delayed at a hospital appointment and had a sandwich at 3pm. Then I had breakfast with white bread rolls for supper.

That's so strange - a year ago, I could never have forgotten to eat. Eating higher protein and low carb has changed my relationship with food. I still can feel compelled - sweet things, sourdough and really good white bread - and cheese oatcakes. I avoid the issue by not having them in the house most of the time. I slipped a few months ago on a tesco shop (self sabotage with a bag of donuts) and with chocolates from Lidl.

This am - 12.30pm break fast with bacon, mushroom in creamy sauce and 2 eggs. More later.
Sounds like you are already in your stride into the new year!!

That for me is one of the main advantages of low carb, you can miss a meal and not get incredibly hungry.

274.4 lbs on the Monday Weigh in - so that's my start weight for 2022. Today - the next day 2.4lbs down. I need to shed around half a stone to get back on track to the lowest I was in December. It's a sobering reminder of how fast the scales can rise. I wasn't going crazy!

I know that will happen - and it will come off. I'm also tracking my waist this year - so will be measuring up maybe once a month or so.

A strange day today. I broke fast with pork scratching (as I had an urge for crunch) and mackerel pate at 2pm or so. I had expected to have herring roe for lunch but the fishmonger must have left out out of my bag! I thought I'd try a little arrow root flour dredge when frying them. I guess that experiment will have to wait until another day.

This evening - eggs and bacon, the last of the marzipan, christmas cake and cheese, a bit more bacon anf some 85% chocolate.

Last edited:
274.4 lbs on the Monday Weigh in - so that's my start weight for 2022. Today - the next day 2.4lbs down. I need to shed around half a stone to get back on track to the lowest I was in December. It's a sobering reminder of how fast teh scales can rise. I wasn't going crazy!

I know that will happen - and it will come off. I'm also tracking my waist this year - so will be measuring up maybe once a month or so.

A strange day today. I broke fast with pork scratching (as I had an urge for crunch) and mackerel pate at 2pm or so. I had expected to have herring roe for lunch but the fishmonger must have left out out of my bag! I thought I'd try a little arrow root flour dredge when fring them. I guess that experiment will have to wait until another day.

More later.
Hellooooo

Waist thing sounds good I'll try to find it. Bet I'll fail lol

7lb for Christmas isn't bad at all if your body used to eating well. I've put on a stone before and most was water weight it turned out as it just fell off so fingers crossed xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

HNY x

Hi AliGal - I’ve been mooching about this evening and seen you on the Exante logs and keto. My plan is Exante for a bit and then onto keto so I thought I’d pop by and say hello and follow for ideas/support!

Happy New Year!

Great plan @FlicG I lost a lot of weight on sachets - but regained over 8 years.

I think if I'd stayed as focused, daily weighing, weekly reporting in on minimins and eating low carb, I would have stayed at goal. I think sachets are great for reseting reliance on food and getting results when it might seem overwhelming.

That said, I know think that higher protein, lower carb can get the same results - just a little slower. Post here on Minimins regularly. The most successful on VLCDs post daily - it keeps you honest! You can find my original diary on an old thread here.

I will stay doing the weekly challenge here when I am at goal - so I am checking in with you lovely Miniminners, and don't let it slide again.
I am very surprised how well I can eat and still loss weight on high protein low carb.

Check out the resources in my signature - www.eatlikeabear.com suits some. I love her FB page because it shows seriously fat older women shedding 100lbs and more successfully. I mostly eat twice a day - although at the moment I've been eating 3 times - no breakfast. I may target one meal a day later this year.

Check out the high protein pages on dietdoctor.com. You can get a lot of info from DietDoctor before you pay for membership.

Watch Dr Jason Fung on Youtube and buy his book The Obesity Code. Fasting 14, 16 or 18 hours a day seems as effective as 24 plus hour fasts - and easier for me to do. It just makes me more mindful - not to snack after my evening meal - and making a decision to eat the next day when I am hungry - not clockwork breakfast because it's the morning.

I also strongly recommend www'ketofitnessclub.com and on FB - free group and a membership group. I did Mark's KICK workshop which was really helpful and now I can afford to join have become a monthly member. They have a good Monday evening coaching session, all inclusive exercise sessions etc. They have useful info on eating & shopping keto or low carb in the UK and good free recipes. I avoid the sweet stuff because I know I find it easy to overeat cakes etc.

I plan to start using a fasting app again - I found it just kept me focussed. It's that bit of extra encouragement not to have an evening snack, or eat gfrom habit in the morning before I am hungry.

Yesterday Wednesday - broke fast at 12.50pm with coffee and cream. I usually have coffee black with some xylitol. Brown prawns in creamy sauce with herbs at 2.30pm followed by Bacon & eggs. late afternoon a piece of Christmas cake. 7.30pm Purple sprouting, couple of chopped anchovies, some chives, butter and some parmesan cheese and dark choc. The purple sprouting was delicious. I shall eat that again.

Today Thursday. Scales down 271lbs. 3.4lbs down since Monday.

Interesting that the Christmas gain is coming off - even though I am eating Christmas cake (the brilliant home made - the BBC As you like it recipe, mostly very high sugar dried fruit (soaked in alcohol), cherries, walnuts and few pecans, some butter, surgar, eggs and flour). No marzipan or icing. I decided I would enjoy having a piece of cake with Mr AG until it is finished. then it is gone. I've put the alcohol bottles for the Xmas cocktails away.

No potaoes, rice or bread. So I am almost back on track. I aim to eat more veg/salad than I did in December.

Broke fast at 1pm:- Stir fired red cabbage and peri peri chicken - plus 2 spoonfuls of Mr AG's bought chicken curry - lower carb.
Late afternoon Christmas cake and some scratchings later. Ham, pecans and dark chocolate.

Last edited:
I love purple sprouting broccoli, the poor man's asparagus. I love it with a soft boiled egg chopped over it or use the broccoli as soldiers to dip in it. It's also lively tossed in butter with slivered almonds. I haven't had it in a while as it's not the easiest to but and I haven't been growing any recently. That and kale fill the "hunger gap" between winter grown veg and early spring crops.

I can't grow it - the pigeons would have it all. It's too windy to bsecure covers. I could build a walk in farme - but I have other priorities, like buying a serger! I must get some almonds. They are on offer at Lidl - so I'll get some later.

I'd put the dog in his crate last night as he's been waking up crying wanting to go out. I thought it might break the pattern. It didn't and he really did need to go out. I'd let him cry for a bit - and then felt rotten afterwards. I did a fridge raid for ham.

2 pices of lamb curry, coconut and crsipy seaweed at 1pm - then home made chicken liver pate, egg mayo and iceberg lettuce at 2.45pm.

5.20pm last slice of Christmas cake and some cheddar cheese.

An unusual late evening snack of a hard boiled egg c 9pm. Some nutritional yeast.

Last edited:
There are some fab keto brownies here

My carer made them when I was keto and I had one every weekend. I know they are only 1 carb each but I didn't trust myself as they are SO lovely so I froze the rest 🤣🤣

Also theres a microwave mug cake to die for somewhere online my hubby makes me sometimes very chocolatey but not bad ingredients 👍

That's a great recipe! I Can't remember if I posted it on one of the keto recipe threads. Do add any other favourites there so people can find them.

I saved it with copymethat. I love CMT. It saves recipes from web pages - so is like a recipe book with cuttings. I like a cocoa based brownie recipe because it lets me make bowrnies when I have no chocolate in the house or don't have a recipe for the darkness of choc I do have. I haven't made this one for a while as I try to avoid sweet baking. I don't count calories but know calories do count and I'll eat too much of sweet things made with almonds.

This morning the scales have me back at 50lbs lost - so that took a week to shed quickly gained weight on the Christmas gain train.
1641637535515.png

I didn't get to Lidl's yesterday. It's beastly rainy and windy this am - so I may go later.

I did go to Lidl. I had an omlette with leeks and a bit of onion before I went out. Big shop. Then I had some protein choc chip mint icecream c 5.30pm and then c 7pm chicken (no skin) cooked in the oven with a sachet of tandoori paste, some courgette and carrots. I do eat some carrots because I like them. they are really good in making a gravy think too. They are 7g per 100g - so a few pieces of carrot still keep me under 20 or 50g carb. I had a piece of choc too, and a spoonful of home made blue cheese dressing. I also bought some sugar free licorice sweeties. They are sweetened by maltitol - silly decision as it raises blood sugar and insulin levels and may muck up my bowel movements too. Such joy.... https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/sweeteners#maltitol

Last edited:
It says 2021 but it was years ago we made it so they must have updated it. We gave it a look but can't see any difference 🤣 so they must just be renewing the post for new to Keto ppl or sthg x

Back