Low fat Ricotta - help!

JulesyR

Hi,

I am trying to do a slimming world makeover on a recipe - does anyone know the syn value for low fat (half fat) ricotta please??

thank you!

Who makes it hun? Syns online will only give me full fat for non branded:
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Basic/Non Branded Foods Cheese, basic, Ricotta 28g
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
extraeasy.gif
2 Syns on Extra Easy
red.gif
Original 2 Syns
green.gif
Green 2 Syns
[/FONT]

I've never seen reduced fat ricotta so it would be good know where you get it. I love my spinach and ricotta pasta!

ahha that's interesting - I haven't bought it yet but was assuming I could get it from sainsbury's!! (it shows up in quite a few UK websites so its got to be available somewhere - right?)

I am planning my next weeks meals!:)

although apparently (just been looking elsewhere) all ricotta is low in fat - another site states that it is lower in fat than normal low fat cream cheese normally.

That's good to know - especially since it looks futile to go looking for a specific low fat ricotta! I will do the comparison when I go shopping and post the results!

I think you must be right. I've never thought of it before but at 2 syns for 28g that is the equivalent of phillie extra light soft cheese, so it must be lower than normal cheeses.

Low fat ricotta is very difficult to get so I make my own it is very simple to do and much cheaper - get some 2% milk, usually use 4 pints -bring just to below boiling so that little bubbles are around all the edge but not a rolling boil - add 2-4 tablespoons of either white vinegar or lemon juice. Wait till curds form (this will happen quite quickly) Strain through cheescloth - when finished draining - squeeze and wrap cheesecloth fairly tightly around curds put in fridge with a plate on top and tin to weigh it down - after about an hour it will be ready to use - you may want to add salt. very quick and cheap to make as there are not preservatives will only keep a day or two in fridge

That's interesting - thanks for that! How much cheese would you get from 4 pints of milk as that seems like a lot. And how do you syn it? I'm just wondering if it's easier to use the shop bought stuff if you have to syn 4 pints of milk.

You probably get about a pound and I would sin the cheese not the milk and syn it as low fat ricotta

Now that's the problem and brings us back to the OP's question - because there isn't a syn value for low fat ricotta, only ordinary ricotta! But I'm definitely going to give it a bash. Thanks!

Back