Managed not to fall back into habit

lis2811

I am an emotional eater and normally use any excuse to eat rubbish food, whether it be good news or bad news. Today one of my close friends lost her 2 year battle with cancer which has devastated me. But I didn't turn to the wine, crips, cheese or bread like normal. I cleaned the kitchen and ate mange tout. So despite a horrid emotional time I'm happy that this seems to have finally clicked again

Just a quick post to say I'm so sorry for your loss hun...if there's one disease I could wipe from the world it would be cancer :( At the same time, how fantastic are you for not falling back into old habits!! Well done hun! :D

All my thoughts are with you xx

Sorry to hear of your loss, totally devastating for you.... But well done on holding it together x hugs x

How fabulous you held it together, youre a very strong person. Id be at the bottom of a bottle by now, your friend would be proud im sure. So sorry for your loss. X

Wow you are an amazingly strong person. Very inspirational to think at such a difficult time you can be positive. *hug*

5 weeks to Ibiza. SW all the way!

Thank you for the replies. I now have an additional reason to stick to this weight can be a contributory factor to breast cancer and having seen what it did tto my friend and my mum I've set my goal for Christmas day! So bring it on xxx

I had a similar situation when a friend lost her child recently. Every fibre in me wanted to binge as an emotional response. Especially after the funeral, which was open casket :s

But I told myself, what does binging do? It doesn't bring the baby back. It doesn't make me feel better, I'll only feel crappy afterwards. It doesn't make my friends life better. In fact in my mind at that moment, using my friends loss as an "excuse" to binge - because honestly, that's what it would be - felt like an insult to her and her loss.

How awful. I myself have lost 2 children many years ago. The pain of losing a child is like no other. Well done on not binging she has a good friend in you x

Im sorry about you loss hun i just wish i had seen this post earlier i have a very close family member who is suffering with cancer and has gotten worse had more bad news today i have cime home and comfort ate its all i can do in the hard times i need help on ovetcoming this any comments are welcome to the lady who started the thread your a true inspiration to us comfort eaters xxxx

I'm sorry for your loss (and other member losses), but I think it's great that you are managing to retrain your brain to react differently, if you can get through a tragedy like that without turning to food that proves you are doing extremely well and you are managing to overcome your old habits. Congratulations and commiserations xx

Hi vixp, I'm sorry that you too have to watch someone go through this horrid disease too. I am the biggest comfort eater out there normally, when my mum died of this 2 years ago I allowed myself to eat my way from x7 lbs to goal tomy heaviest ever and it's had a huge impact on my life lack of confidence pushing hubby away (he stuck b me) etc, I have faced with wanting to loose weight but wanting it to happen instantly, I've finally relised it ain't gonna be a quick fix and I NEED to do this for my health and my families benefit. I know that with such a family history my chances are increased and I need to moo this for my health and helping the odds for me to be with my family. My friend was a selfless peron so genuine and caring with 2 young children 4 and 18 months that it really brought it home to me eating won't make me feel better long term it may just increase the chances of this disease finding me too, so I've taken what it did I her and my mum to try to turn this positive for my health. I know it just happens but I don't to minimise all areas of risk if that makes sense.
Xxxx

Hi lis2811
Thank you so much for that such an inspireation to comfort eaters i hope i can get through it im back on plan tomorrow im going to make sure i get this weight off xxx

I'm sorry to hear you had a rubbish day and I'm sorry you turned to food. To take a positive you are aware what you are doing and that's a great start. Try not to dwell on it. Draw a line under it and move on. Tomorrow is another day. A lot of people say to take it just one day at a time, but sometimes even this is too much, try to take it meal by meal or hour by hour. The hours or meals that are on plan - congratulate yourself and the ones that are not so much... that's OK just accept it and move onto the next hour or meal. Perhaps keep a tally chart, you might find you are doing much better than you thought.

As someone who usually starts the day well, but then it all goes to hell from about 4pm I can understand the depression that comes from thinking that you've messed it up or wasted a day, but I try to think of it as building up. Since the Olympics are on I will make this analogy sport related. We see the athletes run the race full pelt and do well, but they didn't just roll out of bed and run the race, they had to warm up to it. It's just my warm up seems to be taking longer than everyone else's, but one way or another we will all eventually cross the finishing line.

Good luck hun and remember everyone here is always happy to offer help and support (well I am at least)

Natt x

Thanks girls its so hard for me to be in control with food think the idea of taking it a meal at a time is a fab idea most meals are sw unless its the time when im tired and upset and calling for a pizza seems a good idea (sunday) also i have the bad things in the house for my husband. One good thing i have done is stopped taking money to work so when the stress of the busy office comes i dont go into the canteen n buy cupcakes lol. Hoping to plan this week its weigh in tonight so going to draw a line under what it says and have a fresh start xxx

Thanks im going to really focus now if im feeling down at home im going to go for a walk or on wii xxx

Back