Mashed Banana

Gemba85

I'm a bit confused as I read a post about how mashed banana has syns??

I've been having toast using my HE with mashed banana to avoid using anything like butter or spread with syns.. would mashed banana have syns? whats the diff between having it mashed or having the toasdry and eating the banana or even slicing and putting it on the toast??

When you mash, puree or cook fruit you tend to eat more of it so it would be synned but if you're only doing one banana and you would have eaten one sliced or whole, I wouldn't syn it to be honest :)

I was always told that it was because you are likely to eat more. A banana is full of fruit sugars in it's natural state, mashing it doesn't change any of the nutritional content or structure, and no idea how it is meant to remove fibre! I looked into this before as my hubby wanted to know the reason, and to be honest, there didn't seem to be any evidence that anything is changed other than how full you might be (as it takes less time to eat)

there didn't seem to be any evidence that anything is changed other than how full you might be (as it takes less time to eat)

This is what I dont understand, surely regardless of how you eat it it gets mashed in your mouth???

SW is based on how long foods fill you up for relative to their calorie content. As I understand it the process of chewing adds to the feeling of being full, bypass that and you don't get the same effect

SW is based on how long foods fill you up for relative to their calorie content. As I understand it the process of chewing adds to the feeling of being full, bypass that and you don't get the same effect
Absolutely, that was what I meant when I said it was faster to eat.

I have been known to mash 2 bananas on a slice if toast, but would never sit and eat two.

That kind of makes sense I guess.

So if its just mashing one banana rather than slicing it i'm sure i dont need to syn it. its not like i'm mashing 2 or 3 to have on my toast.

No it should still really be synned because its less filling. Even if you don't eat more at the time it doesn't fill you up for as long and you eat again sooner. Either way you take in more calories and that could potentially affect weight loss x

I never got the whole mashing banana meaning more syns thing.

You don't add more syns if you mash a potato compared to just boiling. or when you grate cheese, mince beef, etc.

Back