Metformin

dinkadonka

Hello,

I have plucked up the courage to go and see my doc about possible medication to help regulate or bring back my absent periods!! Havnt had a one for years, I use provera to bring them on every few months but other than that I have nothing.

I am 22 stone and following weight watchers, I have PCOS, I have been reading into metformin and it looks like it could help my symptoms, would my doctor subscribe this for me at my weight? I know it helps diabetes (which i dont have) obesity and PCOS

Any ideas how I should ask my doc for it? I want a baby so much but need help losing the weight and getting my cycle back

Dinks x

Hiya,
Im not sure what the process is for the doctor to prescribe metformin. Mayeb if you show him that you are actively trying to lose weight. Best thing you can do is go and find out. We are trying at the mo and is the main reason I am trying to lose weight. Have you been trying for very long. I dont think they generally prescribe fertility meds straight away. You generally have to be trying for a few months as far as Im aware. Good luck, let us know how you get on.

stick in there. I started the year at just over 19st and found out I was 8 weeks pregnant at 16st10 at end March.

I wasn't dieting to become pregnant - but that's what happened and I wouldn't swap my little one for anything. Oliver only just arrived 25/10 - so 10 days today.

I got pregnancy related diabetes - which I'm hoping will now go and wasnt exactly a barrel of laughs. They tried me on metformin for the diabetes first - but I was very allergic and ended up in a+e. After that, I had to inject insulin to control it.

If you can - stick in there and lose as much as you can for your sake and that of the baby to be. Dieting and fairly rapid weight loss makes you very fertile as I found out ! Low carbs, loads of fruit / veg / lan protein and stick with it.

I put on 12lb during my pregnancy and had a 7lb 11oz baby. Strangely, I'm heavier now than what I was before I had him 10 days ago - it's all water retention :-(

Still - I'm going straight back on the band wagon as I want to finish what I started !

Good luck

Last edited:
Hi Dinks,

I don't post often just enjoy reading.

I too have PCOS and I am currently TTC.
Your GP may not be able to prescribe Metformin as it is usually prescribed by the fertility clinic at your local hospital.
Go to see your GP explain about your absent periods ( are you TTC?) if so ask for a refferal to the fertility clinic they should then prescribe the Metformin for you.

Not only can it help restore menstruation it can also help you lose a bit of weight although it is not a diet drug.

Hope that helps.

Wendy

Hi,

I am also ttc second baby and have PCOS, high BP and they think I developed undiagnosed gestational diabetes. I was referred to an endocrinologist re inability to lose weight and high BP and he put me straight on Metformin! I wouldn't say it helped me lose weight but my weight has been stable for over a year no matter what I have done so I think it helps in that respect! I am now on Lipotrim to try and shift a bit of weight. I was on Lighterlife and had lost 42lbs in 8 weeks when I fell pregnant with my two year old so I certainly think rapid weight loss helps kick start your fertility so am hoping it will happen again!
Good luck to you, I hope it happens soon for you x

just read this post, i was prescribed metformin by my doctor, it was the same reason as you to regulate periods as we were trying to conceive, you are generally prescribed it for 3 month and if nothing after that the longest you can be on it is 6 month, i would say even if you dont get it ask your G.P about it anyway for more of an insight xxxx

I was also on metformin by gp, i have pcos and was given metformin as part of help to loose some weight, as this doesnt help ireggular periods (one a year for ages) metformin helped me to regulate and was ok for 6 months and fell pregnant, without trying. Havent used anything for ten years. :)
Go and talk to gp, hope all works out.

hi there,

I was on Metformin for 7 years, my old GP was happy to leave me on it. I moved house when i was pregnany and changed GP.
I stropped taking metformin when pregnant and when I asked to go back on it I was told i would only be able to go on it for 6 months.
I stopped taking it again and I have gone back to the weight i was before i started years ago.

I lost 5 stone on it, but my close friend who also has PCOS didnt lose any.

It depends on the person i suppose :confused:

I hope it works for you. It did for me, I lost weight, had more periods and had a baby :)

hi, metformin is now used of you have been diagnosed with pcos. research has shown that ladies with pcos have insulin resistance and therfore going on metformin even thoug you are not diabetic will help\this insulin resistance inbalance preventing diabetes (esp if your overweight) and also then have a nock on effect on helping the oestrogen inbalance which affect fertility.

ultimatly all reseaarch has shown that the most effefctive way of returning your periods and fertility is weight loss, the more you loose the more the hormones become more balanced as oestrogen has a direct link to the fat we store.

you doctor will put you on metformin it is not a fertility drug but gfor pcos, u start off on one 500mg a day and work up to 3 a day.

i wish you all the best in your weight loss as that is what will help you get pregnant.

getting pregnant whilsy very overweight can put huge pressure on your body turning you diabetic at the least not to mention high blood pressure leading to pre eclampsia etc etc, so start taking folic acid get to your gp and carry on weight loss and exercise.
(im a medic in case your wondering if this info is true)

hi, metformin is now used of you have been diagnosed with pcos. research has shown that ladies with pcos have insulin resistance and therfore going on metformin even thoug you are not diabetic will help\this insulin resistance inbalance preventing diabetes (esp if your overweight) and also then have a nock on effect on helping the oestrogen inbalance which affect fertility.

Hi there Blush. This info kinda proves my idea that if I had been treated for pcos with metformin when my very very irregular periods started at 12 (didnt bleed for 6 mos when I was about 15, GP prescribed the pill) then there's a good chance I may not have developed diabetes which I think started (pre-diabetes has a 7 year 'window' before becoming full blown I heard) when I was around 14 or so, in hindsight.

In saying that though my lifestyle and eating habits left a lot to be desired and still do so it could be the chicken and egg situation! I may not have developed pcos nor diabetes if I'd been a normal weight.:confused:

Thanks for the info though.:)

hi lyn
its very difficult to say that about the reason u developed diabetes as i know alot of very thin people who have developed it full blown after having it for yrs without knowing. the main thing now is t control it as tight as possible in order t save urself from its lonterm complications x

hi there,jst reading this thread. whats PCOS?
thanks
x

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome

hi lyn
its very difficult to say that about the reason u developed diabetes as i know alot of very thin people who have developed it full blown after having it for yrs without knowing. the main thing now is t control it as tight as possible in order t save urself from its lonterm complications x

My Mum had it too so it was on the cards. Will keep trying to get my diet under control.:)

I have been taking metformin for 18 months now as I have Insulin resistance type II diabetes, its a wonder drug!

I have been taking metformin for 18 months now as I have Insulin resistance type II diabetes, its a wonder drug!

I'm only seeing this now. What benefits have you experienced? I noticed it regulated my periods and helped me to ovulate more. No joy on the weight loss front though...mind you a drug can only do so much lol.

Hi,

I also have PCOS have have been prescibed metformin to try and start my periods after then stopping due to the depo injection (long story!)
This did not help for me but then again I could not really tolerate the drug more than twice a day. I was just so unwell with it.
Mind you, with something like this you always are willing to try anything!!! I am sure you know what I mean.
I know loads of people that metformin has helped to lose weight and also helped with regulation. Hope is does work for you.

N x

Hi,

I also have PCOS have have been prescibed metformin to try and start my periods after then stopping due to the depo injection (long story!)
This did not help for me but then again I could not really tolerate the drug more than twice a day. I was just so unwell with it.
Mind you, with something like this you always are willing to try anything!!! I am sure you know what I mean.
I know loads of people that metformin has helped to lose weight and also helped with regulation. Hope is does work for you.

N x

I found when my dosage was increased to 2,500mg a day to try to control my diabetes it gives me an upset tummy.

Back