My diary: I will not be fat and forty!

wirralmum

I turned 40 recently and am the heaviest I have ever been. I am so sick of clothes not fitting, of feeling uncomfortable, bra straps and waistbands digging in, of my back aching and of feeling so unattractive all the time. So it’s time I did something about it.

I was a size 12/14 for most of my adult life, which whilst not slim, was far from fat (I’m 5’9”). I remember joining Slimming World many years ago and when they weighed me in I was 11 stone 3lb! – How I’d love to weigh that now.

After I had my children (they are now nine and three) my weight crept up until I weighed 13 stone and was a size 16. I started going the gym and eating healthily to combat this, and soon was down to 12 stone. Then, unfortunately, I got ill and was started on medication which a) slows down the metabolism, and b) increases the appetite – so, a double whammy!

Over the next three years I ballooned to 17 stone and a size 20/22, and when I weighed myself this morning I realised that I had put on another 10lbs over Christmas. Something’s got to give. I am so fed up with being unable to go into a ‘normal’ clothes shop and pick up whatever I fancy off the peg. With my back aching whenever I do anything remotely resembling exertion (like going up one flight of stairs). With avoiding friends and family gatherings, because I am ashamed of how I look. With sitting in the corner on the very odd occasion I do go out, not being able to dance due to being unfit and being embarrassed about how I look. And what’s more I have a beautiful suede coat which I wear every winter and which this winter, for the first time ever, was too small.

I took my children away for a week before Christmas and would not even go in the swimming pool. I just put my swimming costume on and could have died with how I looked. My eldest daughter ended up going in the pool alone (she’s a good swimmer) whilst I and my youngest sat at the side, watching her. It was awful, and I felt such a failure – my youngest missed out on going in the pool because I couldn’t bear the sight of myself in a swimming costume.

Enough is enough. I want the old me back. I’m not being unrealistic - I don’t want to be nine stone, or even 10 stone. I just want to be 11 stone. At that weight I could wear what I wanted (including jeans, yay!) and at that weight I could run around the park without getting out of breath and turning the colour of a tomato. At that weight I looked well (looking back at old photos). At that weight, I wasn’t embarrassed to be seen in a swimming cossie.

I’ve started today and am determined to do it. I’m calorie counting for a few days and plan on attending my local Slimming World class this Thursday, then doing the SW plan thereafter. I am going to start eating healthily again. I am going to reintroduce exercise slowly, starting off with a 30-min walk per day. I am going to DO IT once and for all :)

Today's food diary:

Breakfast

Two rounds of wholemeal toast, no spread
Grilled bacon rashers
Peppermint tea

Lunch

Tin of baked beans/sausages
Peppermint tea

Dinner

Chicken and pasta soup

Total calories: 1278

good luck to you !! Sounds like you have done great today !! :)

Thank you worried-chick! :)

Today's food diary:

Breakfast

1 slice Wholemeal toast/low-fat spread
Banana
Peppermint tea

Lunch

Turkey/salad on wholemeal roll
Skinny cappuccino

Dinner

Chicken, asparagus and broccoli risotto
Banana
Peppermint tea

Calorie count: 1270

I got on the scales today and unbelievably I've lost 6lb! So pleased :)

Today's menu:

Breakfast

Two slices wholemeal toast (no spread)
with Two grilled turkey rashers
with Sliced tomatoes
with Brown sauce = one lovely toastie :D
Peppermint tea

Lunch

Spicy butternut squash soup
A banana

Dinner

Cajun chicken fettucine (M&S count on us)
Broccoli
Mushrooms

Am also drinking more and more water, which can only be a good thing. Next change: exercise (i.e. doing some)!

I've had a bit of a funny day today - had a relatively calorific breakfast and not really felt hungry since - not at all like me. Perhaps there's truth in the old adage to breakfast like a king etc. Will try it again tomorrow.

Breakfast

Two rounds wholemeal toast (no spread)
with two turkey rashers
with fried egg (fried in one-cal spray)
with sliced tomatoes
with brown sauce = yummy!

Lunch

Small bowl of vegetable soup

Dinner

Two rounds of wholemeal toast (no spread)
Mushrooms sliced and fried in one-cal spray
Egg fried in one-cal spray

I've got about 250 calories left over, so might just treat myself to a mug of hot chocolate tonight, seeing as it's friday :)

Pat on the back for me today - it was my daughter's birthday party and I resisted all party food :D

Breakfast

Porridge with semi-skimmed milk

Lunch

Vegetable soup
Two rounds of wholemeal toast/low-fat spread

Dinner

Chicken pasta salad

Total cals: 1310

Hello there, well done on not having any party food and good luck on your journey.

Pat on the back for me today - it was my daughter's birthday party and I resisted all party food :D

Breakfast

Porridge with semi-skimmed milk

Lunch

Vegetable soup
Two rounds of wholemeal toast/low-fat spread

Dinner

Chicken pasta salad

Total cals: 1310

Good Job!! Here's for you! :talk017:

Hello there, well done on not having any party food and good luck on your journey.

Thanks! I must admit I had to throw all the leftovers away quickly - if they had stayed in the fridge, I wouldn't have trusted myself :eek:

Good luck on your journey too :)

Edit: wow, just realised, you've lost loads! Well done.

Good Job!! Here's for you! :talk017:

Aww, thanks :)

Just noticed you've got a similar goal to me, it's a real inspiration to see how far you've come. Well done!

I'm off to a good start with the food, so time to start the exercise. Just got back from a 40-min walk (two miles), pushing my daughter in her pram to the supermarket and back. Ordinarily I'd have driven that distance :eek:

Also collected my 5kg kettlebell this morning (£6.66 from Tesco - bargain!) and am going to start the Kettleworx DVDs as soon as they arrive (in the meantime I hope to follow a workout on YouTube).

According to MFP I've 'earned' 276 extra calories for today by completing my walk. It's so simple, isn't it? Why wasn't I doing this all along?!

Today's food so far:

Breakfast

Small cheese/ham toastie
Cappuccino

Lunch

Haddock
Sliced potatoes
Cabbage, leeks, spinach, peas

Last edited:
Hey, just checking in... Your doin fab !! Bet u feel great :) that kettleball is a great idea, I'd like to get one of those too, they are great for toning rnt they :) .... Well done again :)

Hello, sounds like you're on the right track :)

Well done xx

Thanks guys :)

Worried chick, check out the 'secret to shaping up' thread in the fitness forum, it's a real inspiration. I can't wait to get 'kettling' now.

It's ages since I updated!

News: lost another 3lb in my second week, so a total loss so far of 11lb. Have also changed my weigh-in day to Friday. I have started walking at least 30 mins each weekday and am introducing more exercise this week (kettlebell workout) :)

Today's food:

Breakfast

Two rounds wholemeal toast/low-fat spread

Lunch

Vegetable soup

Dinner

Chicken curry and rice

Snacks

Peppermint tea
Hot chocolate
A shortbread biscuit

Total cals: 1070 (a bit low today, I'll make up for it tomorrow!)

Had my weigh-in this morning and I've lost another 3lb, so that's a stone off altogether since I started on New Year's Day :D Extremely pleased!

I am walking at least 4 miles a day every day now, it takes me just over an hour to do 4 miles. Can't believe the places I've walked to, places which I've only ever been to in the car before. I am quite lucky that my walk can take in some of the countryside here in sunny Wirral :)

I am also very lucky to have had such a good weight loss this week given that I went to a party last Saturday and the diet went out of the window (including drinking my bodyweight in vodka :eek:). I can only surmise that it's the exercise that's making the difference - my leg and bum muscles don't know what's hit them! I enjoy walking as I like being out and about, and it's something I can do with my young daughter in her pram - I think she's loving it more than I am! When she gets her free nursery place in April, I will then look at joining my local gym and hopefully can build up to going for an hour three times a week. That's the plan, anyway...

Back