My questions about maintaing...with my own answers :D

What a FAB thread....:D

hopefully won't be toooo long before I'll be needing to make use of all the great advice....

THANX KD !!

Debz
xx

I really laughed when I saw those. It's all the stuff I'm still learning slowly.

The constant vigilance has come as a surprise to me as has the fact that although I used to hate counting calories to lose weight I'm happy to do it to maintain because I don't know what my food should look like despite everything.

I think that the bit you put about normal weight doesn't equal normal is so true. If I was normal I wouldn't be here.

But no matter what it is so worth it.

What a flipping fantastic thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DO you count the claories lost? How reliable are the gym "calorie burning counters"?

I've thought about what to do afterwards for some time...currently on cd1000 maintanence....i think the best bet is to calorie count based on tha maintanence menus...just till I get the hang of it.

Free food is something I could not cope with!! I've realised that!!

although I used to hate counting calories to lose weight I'm happy to do it to maintain because I don't know what my food should look like despite everything.

That's what I found. Really was quite a light bulb moment. Really thought I knew about healthy eating and portion sizes, but have spent so many years eating either too much or too little...found I didn't actually have a clue.

What a flipping fantastic thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DO you count the claories lost? How reliable are the gym "calorie burning counters"?

I've thought about what to do afterwards for some time...currently on cd1000 maintanence....i think the best bet is to calorie count based on tha maintanence menus...just till I get the hang of it.

I used a heart rate monitor a few times, but found the machines said a similar amount. The gym machines I use take account of my personal details...guessed that helped.

I stayed on the 1500 for the two weeks recommended, then did 1500 of my own plan (worked out through WLR), then increased. I couldn't wait to get off the CD plans and try out my own menus. After all..I had been planning them since the first week I was SSing:eek:

How are you finding 1000? I hated it :D Preferred the steps either side.

Think I'll continue with this :)

So do you count calories now?

No, but I am calorie aware. Some people will say that slim people aren't aware of calories, so why should an ex-overweight person who is trying to be 'normal' want to know about them?

Well, I want to be aware of what I'm putting in my body. My aim isn't necessarily to be a slim person (though that's cool), but it's also to be a healthy person.

Not all slim people are healthy. They often eat high fat foods maybe even thinking that they are eating properly as they are slim, but we all know about internal fat.

So yes...I do look at the label. Not obsessively so, but I want to know what I'm putting into my body...and that includes calories.

So you are aware, but not counting the calories?

Being calorie aware (along with fat, salt etc to a certain extent), I can make good choices. I can chose what's suitable for that day. Again, not obsessively so, mind you. I don't count now, but I still want to have a rough idea of what I'm putting in my mouth.

So you pick low calorie things, rather than the high calorie alternatives?

Not necessarily. It depends. If it's something that I really want, then I'll go for that first, but be aware that I will probably be full on that and won't need a dessert.

If I chose the lower calorie foods, then I know I will probably need something else to follow or something extra with it.

If I don't care which one it is, I'll probably go for the lower calorie, as long as it's not full of rubbish...so that I can have more 'extras' to go with it.

But wouldn't you know..wouldn't your hunger signals tell you you've had enough, so you would only want to eat a similar amount of calories regardless. You would stop when full?

Not necessarily. Often my 'full' signals don't click in until I've finished. I can't eat until full. I would feel uncomfortable an hour later. I like to put a sensible portion size on my plate and eat that. Portion sizes can be misleading. Two things that look similar, can have a huge difference in calories. I want to know which one I'm having :)

So how many calories are you actually having now?

Not sure to be honest. After spending almost 2 years with WLR, I have a pretty good idea of what I need to eat to maintain, but I seem to have found some 'normality'. I find that a big meal out leads me to not want much the following day or two. This was my dream. This is how my family manage to stay slim without thinking. It's now something I'm doing automatically, without feeling deprived. In fact...without thinking! It just happens.

Hmmm--food or thought as they say.

Just read the thoughts of chairman karion & want to say wow what a lot of learning,thinking & generally rearranging of food related stuff you've done.
time & energy well invested.

I may be becoming v sad but as I went through I made a little list of quotes from here that seemed to resonate particularly for me.

this is my way of saying a big thankyou,& a big well done of course.

So when can I relax for more than a moment?

Not until you’ve really changed your way of eating. Until it’s a habit that comes naturally without thinking. We are talking about years here. I counted calories and weighed food for about a year. Now I only calorie count and weigh occasionally to check I’m still doing it right, but I still can’t really relax.

What about the GI diet, SW, WW to maintain?

Great. When you are just trying to maintain, you’re not dieting but learning a new way of eating. All these plans are fine, as long as your calorie amounts add up. Anything that allows free foods can be a problem. If you can cope with free food, that’s fine.

Most people who have had a weight problem for a while, might find this difficult. At the end of the day, it’s the calories that matter when it comes to maintaining.

What if I put on a few pounds?

That’s okay too. That’s normal. Even the skinniest person does that at times. For us though, we have to be aware, not panic, but cut down consciously for a while to remedy the situation. You have to refocus….and quickly!

But I just want to be normal.:( Please let me be normal Karion!

Hey! Don’t we all. Some people are more normal that others;) But for the most of us…dream on….being a normal weight does not mean you are normal. :D Physically yes…possibly. Psychologically, probably not. Not yet anyway.

Does this mean I can’t have any ‘bad’ foods at all…..EVER!!

I’m a great believer in having trigger food sometimes. I need to know how to control them. They are too nice to give up forever. Knowing your trigger foods is helpful. You can plan for them, and work out how you will deal with the demon. Bread was always my trigger food. Now I seem to be able to eat it without a problem. It’s taken time though, but I’m so glad I didn’t strike it off forever.

Since SSing, I have learnt so much. I know how to control my eating!! Can’t wait until I get to goal!

Huh. Dream on again buddy;) You may think you’ve learnt it all, but you’ve just scratched the surface. Sorry.

Whoops, I’ve put on a stone since I got to goal, should I SS again?

In my opinion nope (but I can say that cos I’m not a counsellor :D) Apart from the fact that you shouldn’t do a VLCD under a certain weight, just think about having to do those plans again! That doesn’t mean that having a pack or two to help with a calorie controlled type of diet, or even doing CD1000 is fine though, but it’s still advisable to work up to maintenance gradually..

I’m scared to get to goal now! Is it really worth it, and isn’t it going to be too hard?

Nothing to be scared about. It’s certainly worth it. Like a dream come true really. Keep your expectations realistic though. I decided that when I got up to the 1500 CD plan, I would continue to focus (be on a diet so to speak) for another year. At the end of that year, I realised that I needed at least another 4 years.

If I manage to maintain for 5 years, I think I’ll feel pretty confident that I’ve cracked it, but then I’ve had much longer than that with weight issues. 5 years of learning to do it right is nothing in comparison to all those years lost.

I hate you Karion!! I just want to get to goal and get on with my life!

Okay. You have the right to hate me:D Go to the back of the queue:D

Brilliiant post. Just found it.

I'll be holding on to this for the end of next the year when i'm at goal.

Tah xx

Karion,

This is a brilliant thread. I have only just found it and it has really made me think about think.

I go into week 11 on Thursday (LL) and am now really nervous as I dont think I am going to get to the lower part of my target weight in time to go straight into management.

Would you recommend going into management if you still want to lose another 5-7pounds?

I am starting to think about food plans and I would like to create a healthy food plan now, how much does wlr cost and is it really worth it, are there lots of veggie meals that don't contain fish either?

Thank you for the thread. :confused:

xx

Would you recommend going into management if you still want to lose another 5-7pounds?

I did Cambridge and you lose weight going through those 'refeeding' plans. Don't know about LL, but I think Amanda continued to lose throught it.
I am starting to think about food plans and I would like to create a healthy food plan now, how much does wlr cost and is it really worth it,

I paid £45 for 6 months and it was £45 very well spent. I wanted the freedom to make my own choices, and live like anyone else. As I was planning on maintaining, I didn't want to 'diet' in the traditional sense with a slimming club, nor follow low carb, low fat or anything else low...just roughly aim for government guidelines for fat/carb/protein so that I could get it as close to 'normal' as possible.

are there lots of veggie meals that don't contain fish either?

Though there are hundreds of recipes for all sorts of meals, the main idea is that you chose your own foods. This was the next step for me. My chance to go it alone...but with the info at hand as to what I was putting in my mouth:)

I'm not sure that I could have maintained without WLR for that first year and yet still feel I wasn't dieting, but as for all ways of eating, you've still got to do it...whether you chose WLR, SW, WW etc. Nobody can give you the control you need. It's got to come from yourself. These are just tools to guide you in the right direction:)

Thanks Karion,

I have been looking on wlr for ages but have neve signed up. It seems like a lot of money but I guess it is worth it as you have something to follow and you can choose what you want.

As I have not even finished foundation, I think I am getting a bit to far ahead of myself!!

Will ask Amanda about continued weight loss in Management.

Have a good evening x:D

Hi Karion

I'm getting near to goal now, so have been taking more interest in the maintenance threads. The posts here have really made me think. I always new that losing the weight would be difficult for me, but to keep it off afterwards would be the biggest challenge. Reading your pearls, I think I'm right. But the confidence I've gained from losing the weight, gives me hope that I can face that challenge.

Thanks for such an interesting and honest thread:)

Tracey
x

Hi K.D and all who have replied and posted.
This thread is what i need to refer to and read as i often forget that 45 years of inapporiate habits wont go away with without lots of thoughts, thinking and changing, as well as behaviours ie snatch and grab with food ,biting on healthy foods like apples complusively to help me think( i know its strange but i can complusivly eat apples) and thats a "healthy" food.
I have to plan my foods daily and try to not alter it greatly as thats means i am using food to fix me by having treats that make me pile on weight.

I am aware that i can also use food, dieting as a project to prevent me getting on with my life in between and this is a hard one.

Thank you so much k.d for still continuing to care and post after all your years of success i am sure as well that this keeps you on track and in touch with what for me is a life long issue.

So much more i could say but thats life
and as least we have the tools to alter it.

Thanks so much Maria

I was just looking again at this message some 3 years after I wrote it.

It's strange that after all this time, and after all the books and research papers, and mind stuff articles I've read, I have little to change. Having said that, I have just changed a couple of points.

One about being physically 'normal' which I now know isn't quite the case. I'm sure I knew then but perhaps it wasn't such a big deal in my head.

The other is about how much you would probably need to reduce by in terms of calories to get rid of a small gain. Since 2007 I've found that getting back on track can reduce my weight again, as long as I'm really getting back on track that is and being focused again. Or 1500kcals is enough.

Think I still agree with the rest though admit not to rereading it very carefully.

No…nor do I. Cutting down a little for a few days isn’t really dieting though. It’s what people do naturally. For us, it has to be a conscious effort, so it may feel like a diet. It’s not though, it’s just behaving normally.
I love that!

Whoops, I’ve put on a stone since I got to goal, should I SS again?

In my opinion nope (but I can say that cos I’m not a counsellor :D) Apart from the fact that you shouldn’t do a VLCD under a certain weight, just think about having to do those plans again!:D Normal eating can usually sort this, or else 1500kcal .
This bit has changed too then - about the CDC (at least) :)

If I manage to maintain for 5 years, I think I’ll feel pretty confident that I’ve cracked it, but then I’ve had much longer than that with weight issues. 5 years of learning to do it right is nothing in comparison to all those years lost.
So how do you feel about that 5 year mark now?

So how do you feel about that 5 year mark now?

About the same, except now I'm more realistic about it and realise that there is no sudden 'youre cured' mechanism that comes during the night of the 5th anniversary. ;)

About the same, except now I'm more realistic about it and realise that there is no sudden 'youre cured' mechanism that comes during the night of the 5th anniversary. ;)

Not even a bolt of lightning? Darn..

Anyhow KD,

you_rock_you_rule.jpg

Hi KD and all others posted here!

Just found this thread and its just what I need at the moment. Due to the snow I havent had my 'official' WI, but have got to the weight I wanted to be.
now the panic starts!!
I want to carry on for a week or so to get under my goal, as im aware i will put on a few lb's.. my intention is to go back to WW'ers as im a gold member there to help maintain. I also intend to use the CD food packs and 'point' them in.
Im hoping that this way i will be in full control via the points, and wean myself off the CD packs gradually..
Does that sound ok??
I must admit im a bit terrified of things right now, and desperate not to be a statistic that puts the weight back on!
I love the way I look and feel now, and have the determination to stay that way.. I just need a concrete plan in place so I know where I am, at least for a few years!!
Any advice would be most welcome on this!

This is a great thread, and I've really enjoyed reading it! I recently reached my goal and surpassed it. Just before Christmas I lost a further 5lbs through the general madness and stress of it all taking me to 8st 8lbs. I jumped on the scales a few days ago though and I'm back up to 9 and not happy! I know I've eaten more than I normally do but not a huge amount and have had no 'binges' so have put it down to two things:
1. Reduction in exercise because of refurb at gym. (Now re-opened, thank god! I really missed it and felt very sluggish although I did a couple of runs.)

2. Increased intake of sugar (chocs etc.) and carbs.

I've now cut back on these once again and am hoping it falls off pretty quickly as I think these are my 'trigger foods'

I too think maintenance is a lonely place to be and I miss the challenge of weight loss! I can't believe I'm writing this - this time last year goal and maintaining was the furthest thing from my mind!

I've also find myself feeling increasingly pressurised by the magazines and papers to be thinner/smaller/weigh less. I now find myself comparing myself to celebrities who have recently also lost weight and are of a similar age and height to me but smaller! (Hannah Waterman, Jessie Wallace but to name a few) I know I'm not some silly impessionable young girl so why do I feel like this???? I'm angry with myself - why can't I just be happy? :(

Has anyone else gone through this after reaching goal? Maybe I'd be happier at a slightly lower weight - I was definitely more comfortable at 8st 8lbs.

Nic and Aly,

I wanted to welcome you to the maintenance section. I've only just begun to maintain myself and hope you both will stay around. Congrats to both of you on your weight loss. :D

Aly - I think the most important thing is that you are happy with your plan and even more importantly stick to it. It needs to work for you. Sorry I can't be of any more assistance.

Nic - I'm sure you'll find those few extra pounds come off if you stick to what you were doing before the gain as it won't solely have been fat, as you probably know.

I really understand what you mean about missing the challenge of weight loss and maintenance is lonely because it's not talked about much.

I can also understand what you mean about wondering if you could lose more weight. It's quite addictive in some ways isn't it and in some ways it seems an easier challenge at times than maintaining.

If you are anything like me, maybe you've realised the happiness from losing weight can only get you so far and there's a few other issues you need to work on (self-esteem, not just confidence, etc)

That said, I'm happy where I am in terms of my weight (133/134 lbs) and it works for me. I am just working on exercising and toning up now. I've put my body through a heck of a lot so just want to stabilise for now.

Anyhow, there's a few fabulous maintainers on here so hopefully they'll pop in over the next few days and share with you their experiences.

Hi Laura, thanks for the welcome! It's good to be around others in the same boat as yourself in this next challenge of maintaining! How long have you been at goal? Have you had any slip ups? Any tips?
I'm hoping exercise will play a big part in maintaining my weight as I work out 3 to 4 times a week for an average of 3 hours a go at the mo and really push myself. Will hopefully be putting in another session too if I can find the time!! This funnily really means that I appreciate my food more as I feel I've earned it!
As you mention self esteem doesn't suddenly reappear with weight loss and it's something I'm going to have to work on. This is the trouble with being a perfectionist! ;)

Back