My 'Smug' shopping trolley

Lucky7

Lucky7
Just did a really 'Smug' shop at Sainsbury's. Despite wise shopping and getting basics, and the total apparently coming to £1.30 cheaper than Asda (according to price check) it was still a bit of a whopper shopping bill. How come eating healthily costs so much more than living off of pizza and Quality Street. I wouldn't have minded so much if there'd been at least a couple of people glance in my shopping trolley and look a bit impressed or in awe. Maybe the supermarkets could adopt a Healthy Shop customer-praising policy. So when they ring it up it tells them the price and prompts them to comment on our amazing restraint. We could then nod sanctimoniously and feel a bit better about paying.

Just did a really 'Smug' shop at Sainsbury's. Despite wise shopping and getting basics, and the total apparently coming to £1.30 cheaper than Asda (according to price check) it was still a bit of a whopper shopping bill. How come eating healthily costs so much more than living off of pizza and Quality Street. I wouldn't have minded so much if there'd been at least a couple of people glance in my shopping trolley and look a bit impressed or in awe. Maybe the supermarkets could adopt a Healthy Shop customer-praising policy. So when they ring it up it tells them the price and prompts them to comment on our amazing restraint. We could then nod sanctimoniously and feel a bit better about paying.

I have felt this today!! £83 in morrisons today!! There is only me and my boyfriend in the house and that's all of our meals until next Saturday but £83!!!

I have been writing our weekly menu and then a shopping list so we should have everything we need but today I was picking up 'extras' for just incase like mugshots, alpen bars, a tub to take milk to work in etc etc. At least I feel prepared now x

Mine was about £83 as well. Although some of the stuff will last longer than week (2 diff kinds of lentils; extra pack of mince due to offers; frozen fish fillets on offer), but a lot of it was fruit and veg. I'd better bloomin' well eat it!!

Have tried to buy more speed fruit and veg this week, so I think that actually made it a bit cheaper (I got apples; clementines; melon; pears; and frozen raspberries. Usually I'd have got sharon fruit; grapes and bananas as well. I replaced potatoes with celeriac and swede) Not that I'm actually DOING and SP week yet - just trying to make those tweaks and hope that I can get rid of some of my December weight a bit quicker.

PS OH has just returned with shops with a big bag of potatoes. I think the celeriac scared him!! :D

Bother, I meant to get celeriac today and forgot. (Adds to list for tomorrow!!)

I love the idea of the customer-praising policy, but fear it could have it's downside. I can just hear it now - "salad, very good, chicken, excellent, wholemeal bread, good for you, fish, good for the brain - oh look everyone, she was hiding some chocolate under that lettuce!!!!! LOOK!!!!"

They should have an express till just for dieters so we don't have to stand behind someone who's buying lots of naughty things!!

Bother, I meant to get celeriac today and forgot. (Adds to list for tomorrow!!)

I love the idea of the customer-praising policy, but fear it could have it's downside. I can just hear it now - "salad, very good, chicken, excellent, wholemeal bread, good for you, fish, good for the brain - oh look everyone, she was hiding some chocolate under that lettuce!!!!! LOOK!!!!"

Oh no. I'd get my Curly Wurley and Meringue nest stash separately at a self-service till!! Lol :D

Oh no. I'd get my Curly Wurley and Meringue nest stash separately at a self-service till!! Lol :D

But what if the self-service tills were just as judgemental? Like those old-fashioned "speak your weight" machines? A spooky disembodied voice saying "curlywurly alert, curlywurly alert!!"

But what if the self-service tills were just as judgemental? Like those old-fashioned "speak your weight" machines? A spooky disembodied voice saying "curlywurly alert, curlywurly alert!!"

:eek:

I used to spend that much, but when I suddenly had no income (no job and not allowed to sign on) I soon learned how to do a weekly shop for £30. I used to spend £50-80 a week,on me and my ex, but that was only dinner for him when I was home, so it was maybe 1/8th his. Now I have a finite and dwindling amount of money, I'm getting good at knowing what to buy, when the offers will be on and where to buy really cheap veg from. Each week I do one shop in Sainsbury's and they just sent me another 6 weeks of '£6 off a £30 weekly shop' vouchers. I'd be pretty stuck without these vouchers! So I'm good until mid Feb now. I also go through the bin at the end of the self service tills as loads of people throw away money off vouchers!!

Last 3 shops (excluding xmas extras) have been about 85% fresh food - fruit and veg. The rest is the odd bit of rice, soy milk etc. you soon adapt when your circumstances change, and I'd like to think when I get a job I'll keep being frugal rather than going back to spending such an awful amount in the supermarket each week! Then again, when I'm working I'll be eating normal meals again (I currently only eat twice a day, sometimes have a breakfast of fruit salad but it depends what time i get up. This is to save money but also because i'm not working I'm in my natural nocturnal sleep pattern and wake up really late most days, so just have lunch, then dinner. eating way more carbs than usual because they are cheap!)

My shopping must look uber healthy!

We spend so much on food- when we look at our bank statements they are full of Tesco and Asda and not much else!
I'm joining a group on Tuesday and we have decided that we are going to start planning meals as we end up wasting a lot of fresh fruit and veg which is costing us a fortune. We have discussed shopping online to avoid impulse buys but I like to chose my own fruit, veg and meat- I don't want them sending me the stuff no one else wants!

Online shopping for fresh food is a bad idea! Write a plan and stick to it, draw up a shopping list for it and stick to it. don't go into the supermarket hungry!!!

Online shopping for fresh food is a bad idea! Write a plan and stick to it, draw up a shopping list for it and stick to it. don't go into the supermarket hungry!!!

I'm just going to have to be really strict with myself and stick to a list, I really don't want to do it online.

I'm so bad for the impulse buys! I went shopping this week and spent 88 but I did buy kitchen scales and a rice cooker because they were on offer! Bought loads of veg and meat and just froze it in portions so should do me about 2 weeks but I still get shocked at how much I spend

I spent less than £15 on mine this week :D Felt smug just for the price. Lots of Tesco's own and bought all my veg separately and not multipacked. Had most of my meat frozen though from before Christmas so that saved me a bit.

What at a brilliant idea - maybe we should earn extra points for shopping healthy in accordance with the governments aim to make us all healthy

Back