my weight loss story - so far

dreamaholic

Silver Member
I'd like to share my weightloss story.

on 1/1/2008, I thought it's time to do something about my weight, so I started a low carb diet. low carb = no bread, no pasta, no rice, no sugar, no fruit even (!!). All I could eat was protein (meat, eggs etc), veg and FAT. Apparently you need to eat fat to be able to lose fat. I was sceptical... (all the butter / cheese really didn't feel healthy) Needless to say, for someone who loves carb, it's not really sustainable.

There was no proper weigh-in so I recorded my weight loss using excel.

37516-albums2678-picture16084.jpg

Because it's low-carb, weight loss was quite quick to start with. I lost a stone after around 3 months, gained abit because I missed carbs too much, got engaged, there's a wedding to work for, so I started going low-carb again. I went to around 10 stone in November. (And when I look back at the photos, I can see the difference) Had a mini-break over Christmas... and the weight shot up. Then started again after Christmas. I still really couldn't go through the 10 stone barrier.

After the wedding... after the honeymoon... guess what, I started having carbs again. And guess what happened... I gained back everything I lost, and abit more. After 2 months on slimming world, I'm back to square 1 - how much I weighed on 1/1/2008. (OK maybe slightly less, as I didn't wear much when I weighed on 1/1/2008 but I am always fully dressed during my SW weigh-in's! LOL)

Although I'm finding weight loss to be on the slow side (averaging 0.5 pound per week for me...)
I find slimming world sustainable, because I can eat carbs and fruit. I hope I can keep doing this forever, so that one day I'll get to my target weight.

so... fingers crossed... I can lose 0.5 - 1 pound each week... and with time I believe I'll reach my goal some day... :character00115:

Last edited:
thanks for sharing your story so far with us, i could never do a low carb diet...i find it hard enough limiting the amount of bread i eat never mind all the other stuff i wouldnt be able to eat lol but you did really well when you were on it but as you can cleearly see as soon as you started eating carbs again you gained all the weight you'd lost :(

thats why slimming world is so great as its not hard to do and you dont need to avoid a major food group, and its not a diet but a healthy eating plan and one that you can do for life.

well done on what you have achieved so far with SW and remember that slow and steady always wins the race - good luck xx

I tried the Atkins diet a few years ago and lost about 16lb's in about 2 months - however, my breath smelled awful and I felt really full up all the time and uncomfortable.

I have done SW before and had OK'ish success. THIS TIME doing EE initially my weight loss was excellent and I have lost 17lb's in just 7 weeks.

You have reminded me that my weight loss was good on EE and the last couple of weeks I've been doing red, green and EE, I think I am getting back onto EE from tomrrow and just following that.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU.

Thanks for your kind wishes, Meli, Jane and time2bslim. :)

I have always found low-carb unsustainable, even while I was doing it; but I wanted to lose weight desperately at that point so I went with it. Cutting out everything that contains carbs and sugar (that's not just cakes, chocolate, bread, pasta and potatoes, but FRUITS as well, and milk...) it was just IMPOSSIBLE. Following something that's not sustainable means you can't follow that forever... and... TADA. what a scenic route I've taken.

Anyway, I'm now on SW, it's been 2 months, and apart from finding it hard to guess how many syns I've had when I dine out, it's been great. I think I can eat like this for the rest of my life. I've been on EE most of the time (as I don't like weighing, and I like protein and carbs...) my weight loss has been slower than ideal, but it's still going the right direction. I think my slow weight loss could be due to me guessing the amount of syns when I dine out... but if I cut out dining out altogether / only pick salad dishes when I dine out I'll be miserable and go off the wagon.

Hope I can lose between 0.5-1 pound every week. If I lose 1 pound every week, I'd lose 1.5 stone by xmas, and be 5 pounds from target. If it's 0.5 pounds per week, I'd lose a total of a stone by xmas, which is still good weight loss.

I'm going to do it this time!!!:character00115: *determined*

Back