Need some inspiration for cheap and easy lunches!

unreal83

Want to be a yummy mummy!
So I work in an office and I am now onto cruise, I just popped to Tesco, having a PP day as i had my bolognese last night. Picked up 2 juicy chicken legs from the hot counter and ate them (no skin!) now i have a muller light, not really sure how i could have made my lunch more interesting i had a dollop of tesco low fat soft cheese with garlic and herbs too.

Its proving to be quite expensive too!

Anyone got any ideas? x

It is expensive to do this diet, but I find that because I'm not eating bread, using less milk, I do find that i am balancing it a bit better, not totally cheaper though.

I make things like Quiche with cottage cheese and eggs, they are handy to take to work and eat hot or cold. You could also make meatballs or patties with mince and prepare a yogurt dip. I buy my mince from Aldi, £2.49 for 800g and I split it in four batches.

With one batch, mix it with small bit of onion, herbs, a beaten egg and shape into small patties or meatballs and fry. I quite often add some chilli flakes as well.
Meatloaf with a boiled egg sliced in the middle like layers, this can probably be split into two days.
Scotch Eggs.
Turkey Sausages with a piece of Dukan Bread.
Cottage Cheese with Smoked Salmon mixed in is very tasty.
Smoked Salmon Omelette, can be reheated or eated cold.

PV Days you could take a salad with tuna or egg or cottage cheese.

I always have a portion of LS Jelly with my lunch.

If I think of anything else I add later. These are just a few, I've had, off the top of my head.

Df, you've just listed my lunches lol

I'm way past cruise now but my average lunch most days (suitable for PV) is a salad of some description (leaves & tomato, or grated carrots & celeriac, or cucumber and carrot ribbons for example, whatever the fridge will offer up!) dressed with salt& pepper & vinegar and topped with some protein - usually tinned or smoked fish or a couple of hard boiled eggs.

For PP like today I have things like those already mentioned or: marinated chicken strips, cooked the night before. If I'm organised with a 'dip' made from Fromage Frais, for example with herbs or wholegrain mustard & 'honey' (pinch of sweetener!). Tuna patties: mix one egg and a tin of tuna, season, mash really really well and fry like a galette (you need to pat it flat in the pan). I really like pickled herring so a chopped up herring, and egg and dill in a fromfrais sauce again. Buying something in Tescos or a cafe rarely works very well, you need to take something from home. Make your oatbran portion into 'bread' that you can make into a sandwich with quark and low-fat ham or bresaola of even smoked salmon yum! I make the quiche to but generally it's a bit more 'special'.

And the tesco low fat soft cheese with garlic and herbs is really not allowed.

Pauline where do you buy cheap mince turkey from. Everywhere I look its so expensive. I wish I could find some cos its a nicer taste for some of the patties I do.

thats good, I don't shop on line thou so will have to see if I can get it cheaper here....thanks for the price comparison though, its definately helped me.

Tesco £2.50 for large pack great value xxc

The Waitrose one is great, as Ceri said (if you have a Waitrose) but I also found it in Morrison's the other day too - £2.20 for 500g. Love it and have at least one pack a week. Very sad that I can't find free range stuff though.

Interesting fact - turkey is the only meat which is classed as a 'superfood', so now you know! ;)

P x

Is the low fat soft cheese like philly not allowed? I thought i read somewhere all low fat soft cheeses were allowed?

Can someone tell me if i am going mad? Thank you for telling me though x

Extra lite philly as a tollerated 1 tbsp per day I think, when I use it I add skimmed milk for cheese sauce if I've got the qty wrong someone will say xxx

As far as *I* know only the extra low Philly exta-lite is allowed, and then as a tolerated, one heaped TB per day (30gr). I may be wrong, things may have changed, I go by the 'original' 2010 UK edition of the book and info on tolerateds from about that time. but anything 'low fat' in the cream cheese department is definitely not allowed.

Try some fat-free Quark instead (Asda, Tesco for example) it is firm and spreadable, unlimited, and actually tastes creamer and much less chalky than Philly extra-lite. Add a tiny sprinkling of salt and chopped chives and you have the perfect sandwich spread!

I must admit to being naughty, the first weeks on the diet I bought extra lite philly, not realisign, but not wanting to waste it (no one else to eat it) I have slowly used it and so far so good. My mum recommended (and I also bought) extra light lo fat laughing cow triangles. They are great melted over cauliflower LOL.

Quark is great though, you can also add a teaspoon of sweetner to it for a 'cream' to add to jelly. I added a few drops of chocolate flavouring yesterday too and it was delicious....so so yum.

Hello unreal. Yes, cooking in advance is best. It is almost impossible to get ready made dukan pp food from the shops. My standby lunch if I haven't packed anything is sashimi. You might be lucky to find it takeaway too. And I sometimes bake crabsticks in the morning and pack a box of those for pp days.

'bake' crabsticks. Are they crispy, what do you do with them hun. Apart from occasionally putting them in an omelette I've never really cooked with them.

I throw some spices or garlic salt on them and pop them in the oven for 10 mins or so. They don't really need cooking, but I like the extra crispness you get.

sounds nice, will have to try that, esp with the ones I get from Farm Foods as they are very bland.

Back