New to Forum and Xenical

Sueno

Hello all,
I have been reading post on here for a while now and have finally plucked up the courage to join.

I started Xenical on friday and well, so far, so good. No disagreements with anything that I have eaten.

I was just wondering if when using xenical you have to follow a low fat/calorie counted diet. Is it possible to lose weight following slimming world and using xenical?

I don't think that I eat too badly but I just can't seem to lose weight, I think that my problem may be portion control. hence thinking that slimming world and Xenical would be a good idea.

Hopefully the Xenical will help and I will soon find out if I am eating healthy food or not.

Anyway think I am just rambling now, so hello again and if anyone has tried xenical and slimming world could you let me know.

Many thanks

sueno

Hello Sueno, and welcome :)
A few people on this forum use Xenical with Slimming World, with great success. I think you'll find that many foods on the SW plan are also low in fat and calories too.
If you do decide to follow Slimming World, just keep an eye on packets of the food you're eating and make sure that what you eat doesn't contain more than 5g fat per 100g, and no more than 15g of food per meal. If you do that, you should be fine.
Also look out for eggs! They're free on SW, but they're over the recommended fat limit for Xenical. Some people have side effects with them, some don't. It's just trial and error I'm afraid!

I have mixed feelings on Slimming World personally. I followed the plan many years ago and lost about 5.5 stone, but I found that I didn't learn anything about portion control and my meals just got bigger and bigger! I was getting to the stage where, for my evening meal, I'd eat 6 potatoes worth of Slimming World chips, with a couple of eggs and a tin of mushy peas or something like that. Obviously, the weight loss slowed down because I must've been consuming hundereds of calories in each meal, even if it was 'free' food.
Eventually I got disheartened with my slow weight loss and stopped going to SW.....but...I was still used to eating massive meals so I carried on....only I didn't make healthly choices and the weight piled back on!

Not everybody is as extreme as me, but don't forget that just because food is 'free' it doesn't mean the calories don't count. As you know, weight loss is all about calories consumed versus calories burned, and that's true whatever plan you follow. Slimming World works by giving you unlimited access to foods that are low calorie/fat in proportion to how much they fill you up. Hence, you don't feel the need to snack, and you don't feel as hungry.
The problems start when you take it to extremes like me, and start eating just because you can, and just because it's 'free'. I'm not saying don't do it, just realise that it isn't the complete answer to portion control problems!

Anyway, I hope you do really well on the Xenical, whatever diet you decide to follow. And if you've got any questions, just ask. Everybody here is very friendly and supportive! :)

Food for thought

Hi Alex,

Thank you for your reply and you certainly have made me think about the problems of SW not teching you to eat properly.

I am doing SW with Xenical as I live abroad and getting hold of WW food and other diet foods can be difficult. Labelling on supermarket products is not too good here, even if i could understand what it said:confused:

I try to cook as much as i can with fresh ingredients and to eat lots of fruit and veg.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Sueno

A Quick Question

Hello again, just a quick question that perhaps someone will know the answer to.

Is Xenical the same as Alli??

I was just reading some posts on the Alli forum and it sounds like Xenical, same side affects and stuff.

?????????

Thanks

Hi Sueno

Alli is half the dosage of xenical but otherwise the same drug.

You can only get xenical on prescription

Hello Sueno,

Yes they are both the same - The active ingredient in both is Orlistat.

Xenical (120mg) is only available in the UK on prescription whereas Alli which is half the strength(60mg) is available to purchase (with guidance) at a pharmacy.

Love Myr xxx

Hiya Sueno and welcome to Minis, good luck on your weight loss journey xx

Thanks

Hello,

Thanks for the replies about Xenical and Alli. Well they say that you learn something new everyday, and so I have!

I have been using Xenical since Thursday and although I have been lucky and not had any unfortunate incidents I am unsure if it is working or not.

Everything is normal, no change. And no weight lost so I am not sure if I am doing things right.

Do you have to wait for a certian amount of time for the Xenical to start working?

Thank you for the replies so far.

Sueno

If you're using Xenical properly, you shouldn't notice any difference really. Side effects mean that you've overstepped the mark with the fat content of your food, which you don't want to do!
The only thing that tells you whether it's working or not, is the number on the scales.
Xenical is only a helping hand - it stops a third of the fat in the food you eat from being absorbed and stored in your body. It's also has a 'policeman' effect, because you're less tempted to eat unhealthy foods when you're taking it (in case you get side effects).

In theory, Xenical should work straight away. It isn't absorbed into your bloodstream, so you don't need to wait for the effects to 'buid up'. However, a lot of people find that it takes their digestive system a few days to get used to the tablets.
A common problem is constipation and bloating, which can make it seem like you're not losing any weight at the beginning. It does help to drink plenty of water and eat lots of fruit and veg to keep things moving along.
Have you thought about starting a food diary on here? If you're not sure whether you're on the right track there are lots of people who would be willing to have a look at your diary and comment on it :)

We love looking at and commenting on food diaries! Even the very fact of writing it down can show you where/if you are going wrong and where you are going right too.

KB x

Hi again,

thanks to the replies about xenical and knowing if I am using it properly or not.

Good idea about the food diary, think that I might start one tomorrw, but worried in case i am eating the wrong food.

Suppose I should not worry and that people will be helpful and help me to see where I am going wrong.

I did feel a bit headachey for the first few days but that seems to have cleared up now so no excuses, I need to get on track.

Sueno

PS alibalibee your pics are great such an inspiration, you are looking fab!

Welcome & Good Luck x

Me again

Hi everyone,

It's me again. Well so much for saying no side effects as of yet, in my last post!!

I was in work the other day and was working late when a colleauge came round with some coffee and a fun size tim out bar. Had the coffeee and the bar, because I have no will power :(.

I suffered the effects the next moring, don't want that to happen again. so now I know that the Xenical is in my system and is working.

I got weighed this morning and was 148.8 pounds, so I am very pleased with my loss this week. :):):) I just hope that I can keep it up and keep on losing.

Last edited:
I wouldn't think anything would happen because of a coffee and mini time out bar.

Was it a full fat latte or something?

No, it was just a regular coffee. Not sure if it was full fat or skimmed milk as it was made in the tea area and she brought it round to me. only other thing i had eaten that day was a salad and slim fast shake for b'fast.

I am mixing things up a bit at the moment, following slimming world for kunch and dinner but sometimes having a slim fast (with skimmed milk) for b'fast if I don't have time for b'fast.

Probably need to keep a food diary.

Got a tough time coming up, going out for a meal tomorrow :( it is a set meal so I will have to be really strong.

then going on holiday the week after next for 2 weeks. i did think of laying off the Xenical for the holday but that would just be another excuse. I will just have to think about what I eat while I am on holiday and be strong. :eek:

I know what you mean PK, I've got away with far worse than that :D I suppose everybody's bodies are different though, and it depends what else Sueno had eaten around that time.
Lesson learned though...and if it gives you reassurance that the tablets are working, then it can't have done too much harm :D

Hi PK and Alex,

Thank you for your replies.

I think that I need to just try different things out and see what works for me. It is all new to me. Mind you I would rather not have any more accidents, so in a way it is good that it happened. Ewwwwww.

Thanks again

I`m surprised you had such a bad side effect from a brew and a fun size choccie bar :/

Well done on your weight loss so far :D x

I have a fully skimmed cafe au lait every morning (basically filter coffee with steamed milk)

Back