New to healthy eating

Hello,

I just wanted to introduce myself to what seemed to be the most appropriate part of the forum for me.

I’m 25 and I’m morbidly obese. I suffer from depression, anxiety, self-esteem issues. I’ve been taking anti-depressants on and off for almost a year now and during that time I’ve gained a lot of weight due to comfort eating and lack of exercise. I realised this week that if I’m ever going to get better, I need to try and work something out. I’m on a waiting list for counselling, but in the mean time the least I can do it try to fix my diet and get some exercise. It’s a step in the right direction at least.

Armed with a sense of self-empowerment and determination, I looked through my options and decided how I wanted to approach this. Over the last four years I’ve been trying to lose weight and have tried a number of diets and I decided that the last thing I needed this time around was a diet plan. I need to change my eating routine, I need to establish a healthy, balanced diet. Now I’m the first to admit to being confused by all the conflicting dietary advice out there, I think I’ve got to the point where I’ve tried so many diets that I just don’t know what’s right and what’s wrong any more. So I’m going to be loosely following the Gi diet which prescribes lots of fruit, veg, protein and wholewheat carbs. I think that's what I associate with being healthy. I'm not going to pretend that I'm going to stick to the diet to the letter, because this is more about establishing a healthy diet and a healthy attitude to food.

Wish me luck!

Welcome BehindBlueEyes,

You're chosing a nice way to way. Healthy eating is something that we can't do long-term so it it a wise choice:)

Did you ever calorie count? You could try it and aim for 1500-1700 calories a day with a 30 min. walk daily for a start;) Exercise also lifts our mood so it can be good for both, body and mind!

xx

Welcome BehindBlueEyes,

You're chosing a nice way to way. Healthy eating is something that we can't do long-term so it it a wise choice:)

Did you ever calorie count? You could try it and aim for 1500-1700 calories a day with a 30 min. walk daily for a start;) Exercise also lifts our mood so it can be good for both, body and mind!

xx

What haven't I tried?

I tried calorie counting and didn't like it - I didn't like recording everything I ate and found that I was really obsessive about the numbers on the page and on the scale. I just wound up in a diet-binge cycle.

I decided that I'd much rather be healthy and happy - weightloss will just be a side effect. I'm doing this to have more energy, to sleep better, to live better not to be a specific weight or dress size. I know it's going to take a long time until I'm considered to be a "healthy weight", but I'd rather do it this way and have my mental health than be stuck in the cycle of self-deprivation that I was in before.

Exercise is my next goal - get the eating stable, then introduce exercise... watch this space!

It sounds like you have a great mind set. Slow and stead wins the race so introduce the changes you're aiming step by step. Quick changes usually aren't long lasting, but gradual and consistent changes can last forever:)

xx

It sounds like you have a great mind set. Slow and stead wins the race so introduce the changes you're aiming step by step. Quick changes usually aren't long lasting, but gradual and consistent changes can last forever:)

xx

Exactly. :D

I've done the dieting thing and I know that it doesn't work for me... so I'm going slow and just aiming to make positive changes in my diet and my lifestyle. Changes that will hopefully last forever.

You can make it, keep us updated :)

xx

welcome BehindBlueEyes you will find many of us on here in similar situations, we are all 'dieted-out' as it were. we are a supportive bunch and feel free to chip in anywhere and we will try and help you out. healthy eating is looooong term but you can do it!! make little changes everyday and you'll get there. theres lots of positive people here who are just trying to make the right choices everyday and feeling the results by being much more relaxed because this is not a 'DIET' forum.
keep us posted on your progress x x

Back