New to Slimming World - I joined online :)

caroline_ireland

MISS Failure ha
I am 14 stone and I need to get down to 9 stone with my height. Slimming World is probably the only one I haven't tried. One of the girls in work has nearly lost 3 stone since January so I joined online tonight. I am a bit confused as its completely new to me.

From what I can make out ....

Superfree and Free foods - You can eat as much as you want

Healthy Options - Pick one from A and one from B

Syns List - You are allowed 15 sins a day

Have I read this all correct ? There was so much information when I logged in, I was getting a bit confused :)

Anyone else online doing it ? I have no classes around me.

That's pretty much it! :) Eat as much of the superfree and free as you need to satisfy your appetite, have your As and Bs to keep your diet healthy and balanced, and have your syns (between 5 and 15 - your choice) to keep you enjoying the plan :D Make sure you weigh and measure your As and Bs accurately, and always keep a track of your syns, and you'll be fine x

hmm very good :) was just making sure, it looks very good. My only problem is breakfast as I can not eat eggs and I hate porridge, if i have cereal with slimline milk that means I cant have my latte in the mornings ? would that be correct, this is my only lil downfall as its something I look forward to every day. Are you doing it yourself :) how are u getting on in losses ?

I tend to have yogurt and fruit for breakfast most mornings so I can save up my As and Bs for later in the day :) You could always use your A choice of milk for the latte and syn the additional milk you use on your cereal if you want to have both? If you use skimmed you get 300ml as your A, but if you wanted another 100ml for your cereal it'd only be 2 syns out of your allowance, so worth it if it gives you the flexibility you need.

My losses have been quite good the last month or so (since I found this site and started keeping a diary - it keeps me on track!), but were a bit erratic before then as I wasn't being 100%. I've got 17lbs off since xmas, so it's all going in the right direction though, and apart from my close friends nobody knows I'm on a diet, just that I'm shrinking before their eyes :D

fair play hun thats bloody brill. I started the gym in January and was doing 3/4 days a week, 1 1/2 hours, sweat busting workouts and my friend joined Slimming World week before I started the gym and shes is nearly down 2 1/2 stone, I have put on 6 pound? I wasn't pigging out or anything, salads, carb free dinners, if anything its the first time i am eating good. WELL i thought i was but obviously I am going wrong somewhere. So I joined online tonight. How many syncs etc. would your breakfast be? I will do the same as yourself as I can not live without my latte in the morn :D

Thanks for all that info, it really has helped x

As my consultant is very fond of saying, 80% of your weight loss comes from the food you're eating, and only 20% from the activity, so if the food's wrong it's very difficult to make exercise work hard enough to compensate :) I'm doing both together now (gym or other class 6 days a week for at least 30 mins a day) and I'm toning up at the same time as shrinking.

My breakfasts tend to be syn free or less than 1 syn. Good syn-free yogurts are any fat free natural ones (then you can add your own sweetener and fresh/frozen fruit), most of the Mullerlight range, and most of the WeightWatchers fat free range (their dessert flavour yogurts are particularly nice!). My favourite low-syn ones are the Mullerlight Greek Style at 0.5 Syns each for all flavours - me and my housemate should have shares in these, our fridge is always full! Then I'll tend to have a cuppa with my breakfast, and instead of using my A choice for my milk I allow 0.5 Syns for each dash of milk, so a typical breakfast is 0.5-1 Syn, leaving plenty for the rest of the day.

Different people use their syns in different ways - some like to use them to make meals more indulgent, e.g. a higher syn yogurt, butter on toast, cream in a sauce, a little oil for frying, whereas others (like me) will save them up for treats, e.g. chocolate/crisps/cake/wine. Totally up to you how you choose to use them, whatever makes you feel like you're not being deprived :)

I would be the same as yourself, I would rather keep them for nice choc and yummy stuff like that. I see everyone talking about the Muller yogurts so I think I will stock up on them tomorrow :) I am nearly sure I even saw a Muller rice Lemon Cheesecake one online tonight mmm mmm mmm :)

Now that you are in the gym, do you use up all your 15 syns for the day? I only joined tonight online and there is a lot to take in so thanks again for all this info

Oooh be careful, Muller Rice isn't free :( It's just the Muller Lights, so the yogurt ones! If you can, get the SW app on your phone, then you can quickly check things before putting them in your basket at the supermarket during these first few weeks while you're getting used to what's high and low syn - I still check things occasionally now and I've been doing SW on and off for years! :D

I haven't really changed my syns since starting exercise, but I always have at least 5 now (as your body can be tempted to go into starvation mode if you have less). I probably average out at around 10 per day with a few higher syn days a week where I might go slightly over the 15, balanced off by the lower syn days where I'm nearer 5. As long as you don't go over the weekly allowance of 105 it tends to be ok, although some people find their losses stall if they save up all their syns for the weekend, so for the first while I'd advise trying to use them evenly over the week if you can x

I downloaded that App literally ten mins ago and its bloody brill. I shouldn't go wrong now with the app. I copped the Muller rices weren't free when I put the lemon cheesecake one into it lol
I will eat all my 15 syns a day :) yahoo can not wait to start

You'll love it, it's a proper "you are what you eat" diet and you'll feel more than just the weight benefits before you know it! Loads of luck to you! :) x

Hi caroline! I'm in Ireland too and an Online member!

You are gonna love SW, its unlike any of the other diets. It took me a good 2 weeks to forget the old habits of being careful with "bad food" like rice, pasta and potatoes. Now I eat until i am full (not uncomfortable!) and I cannot believe that I am losing weight! My loss has always been slow, but I have lost 11lbs in 12 weeks on SW. I know that sounds like nothing, especially compared to some of the ladies on here, but for me its lightening speed. It took me 17 weeks to lose 10lbs on ww and I was 100% on plan.
So my biggest advice is to trust the plan. It doesnt feel right to begin with, its like relearning everything you know about food, but it does work!

There are a few things that I have found recently that are just in ireland and arent on the SW app, but Green Farm packets of chicken in tesco are brilliant, the cajun one is free and the peri peri is 1syn. So handy for a quick lunch! I will come back and post anything else that I think of!

Hey Miss Pink, brill, I find the website is so full of info its a bit daunting at first. I think I am with it now as Miss Nix explained a lot. Its nice to hear that you have a slow weight loss cause I can relate to you big time! I really do not know what is wrong with me as I was lashing the gym out of it lol. I am half way there already, as my lunch would be all free foods and my dinner would be nearly also, only i would put rapeseed oil in the pan, so I will change that now to Spray. I shop in Aldi so I will be going around with my App on my phone checking everything. Have you a diary I can follow?
Here if I lost a pound a week I would be over the moon, I am in the gym since January and I have put on weight so WELL DONE u :) x

Hi, and welcome to sw! I feel like I've found religion lol since starting, a new way of life that makes me happier and slimmer while still being able to eat my favourite things. You'll find your palate changes as well on the plan. Me and the husband were talking last night about what we'd have on our riders if we were rock stars :) I always used to say cider, kfc box meal and Ben & Jerry's, now I'd have vodka, diet coke, free chicken tikka and fresh pineapple. Never thought I'd say that!

Hey Carmilla, thanks :) u are doing great, well done. I hope i can do just as good. I am going to find breakfast very hard tho

Hey Caroline just wanted to say hello and welcome you aboard :). You'll find the first couple of weeks will be spent forever looking at syn values, recipes, planning meals, what you can and cannot eat for free. It all takes a while to sink in but it will all become familiar to you very soon and I'm sure you'll enjoy eating the SW way. I've attached the sticky re Extra Easy which is really useful - http://www.minimins.com/slimming-wo...-comers-including-extra-easy.html#post1718733
Don't be surprised if you question the quantities, this is popping up a lot recently, and most newcomers are posting "can I really eat this much and lose weight"? Like the rest of us, you've probably been on diets where food is restricted in type and quantity and SW is a whole new way of looking at what you're eating. Trust in the plan, follow the guidelines and it will work. Good luck with everything. :)

Last edited:
brill thanks a million, i was wondering what that was. I will have a good read of it now :) thank you xx

god thats brill, I never heard of it tho, but i will keep an eye out for it thanks xx

Back