Extra Easy New to SW and keep going over daily Syns

summertime

Hi all

So i have finally started Slimming world online. Im not a fan of diets particulary as I had an eating disorder when I was a teenager so did not want to get too muddled psychologically, however I suffer from fibromyalgia and low self esteem and believe this is a good route for me to lose the extra stone or so that I know is not good for me.

The issues I am facing are the following. I am currently on a very highly stressed work project and being an emotional eater I find that whilst I manage to control my syns during the day it is when I come through the door at night that I am having and going well over my syns.

It doesnt even tend to be my meals I prepare but often when I want a chocolate fix and reach for a low syn option (a fudge or a light cadburys mousse) one just is not enough and I end up blowing my whole syn count and then beating myself up.:sigh: I know there is talk of flexisyns and using allowance from the rest of the week but as I am going over 15 more frequently then I am not I am just wondering how I can solve this problem. I feel if I have no chocolate I will syn even more!!

Do many people go over their daily syns or am I alone in this and any emotional eaters like myself do you have any tips?

In need of support (and I cant attend groups due to my working hours by the way)

Thanks everyone

Summertime

I'm the same - evenings are my worst time. I have started saving 3 syns to have a highlights hot choc with some mini marshmallows (the ones I have at the mo are 10 for 1 syn). It sorts the sweet cravings, lasts longer than chocolate or other sweet snacks and feels like a real treat. :)

failing that - have you ever heard of distraction techniques? I don't use them myself really but I know a few people who brush their teeth if they start craving chocolates or go for a walk around the block.

Our cravings only last 3 minutes (apparently) but once we start thinking about them it's difficult to stop thinking about them so using distraction techniques apparently passes the time until the craving passes and also stops us thinking about it.

Hi, I'm an emotional eater too. I eat chocolate when stressed or depressed. I have done a couple of green days and saved my syns for the evening. Last night I had a light hifi bar dunked in an options hot chocolate, a curly wurly and then another hifi bar for my B choice, I hadn't used all my syns so I had a pink and white too.
I bought some vanilla biscuit scented bubble bath and bathing in that is a real treat for my nose!

I think the best form of defence is to make sure you do not have any of the things you crave in the house, if there not there than you cant eat them. Also have things in the fridge that are easy to grab and are syn free i.e. muller light yogurts, fruit, lean cuts of cooked meat, etc. Even make big batchs of meals and leave one in the fridge and if you feel like you need something, eat that instead.

It is hard but i found it does get easier as you get more and more into the weight loss. A big thing for me is if i get emtional and down about things is i exercise now and use it to fuel my workouts instead food.

That is a really good idea CraigA posted. I think I will try and do that myself. Struggling to get my head back into it after christmas and I was so focused beforehand but went off track, instead of having xmas day as my one day off, it turned into 2 days off, 3 days, 4. I will get re-focused. Exercise may be what is needed :)

I also find that if the things you crave arent in the house then its a lot easier, I never have much in the house so that I cant go over the top. Most things I have are my sons or husbands and most arent vegetarian anyway, which helps as Im veggie ;)

Back