Newbie, about to stop the evil weed!!!

clairethehat

clairethehat
Hi folks,
Thought I'd say hi, after being a lurker for a wee while!
I LOVE this site, and it's really helped me to shed the excess pounds I had gained over the winter.
Not a huge amount I know, but unwanted nonetheless!

I'm five ten and 10 st 8lbs now, so pretty much at my goal... But!! I'm about to stop smoking with NRT, this Thurs to be precise , so thought that now was the time to say hi and maybe get a bit if wisdom and support!
I am calorie counting, using MFP and doing combat twice a week at the mo, but plan to do more when I kick the fags.
My OH has about 5 stone to lose, and has finally come round to the idea of counting calories.
He had to think it was HIS idea of course! ;-)
Anyway, anyone with any advice or just general words of support, I'd love to hear from you, or just come and say hi!

Claire x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Don't know about wisdom but I did manage to stop smoking 8 years ago and if I can do it with the willpower of a small gerbil, then I know you can too!

My motivation was that my partner moved in and doesn't smoke so I reckoned that was time to take action. I didn't use anything other than a Paul McKenna cd that was meant to put subliminal messages in my mind while I was relaxed... trouble was his voice made me too relaxed to stay awake so not sure if those messages got through!

The best advice I can give you from my experience is resist one cigarette at a time - bit like chocolate - the cravings go quite quickly and I found having some water instead helped. Or a quick walk round the block. I did still go out for 'cigarette breaks' at work as I felt I was missing out on the gossip (sorry, the important networking) that takes place there. But that went over time too as I couldn't stand the smell :)

I guess it took about 3 months before I was able to say No thanks and mean it. And now, although I still would like one from time to time I just won't do it as it is so hard to give up. Sending you loads of encouragement and a big hug :grouphugg:

Hi

Wish you good luck with the smoking, that's my next tackle, been told to stop and lose weight but can;t do everything at once, but i will try in a few months :)

Thanks Susie for your words of encouragement.
My partner has 2 young children and I stay at his most weekends, so am well used to not smoking in the house( I usually duck outside for one). He stopped cold turkey 9 months ago, but was only an occasional smoker really, not a die hard like me!!
I'm day one on the patch and so far feeling positive and optimistic, but a bit weird as well!
I shall keep you posted as to how I'm getting on.
I'll just take it a day at a time and hope the cravings don't get too bad!

Claire x

Woohoo!!!! I promise it does get easier to resist over time and then you forget about it for hours, then days, then weeks, then months.

I am soooo pleased that it is going well for you :)

susieqt said:
Woohoo!!!! I promise it does get easier to resist over time and then you forget about it for hours, then days, then weeks, then months.

I am soooo pleased that it is going well for you :)

Thanks for the encouragement Susie.

It's actually been a lot easier than I thought it would be up to now, probably because of the NRT, but I will address that addiction once I've broken the smoking habit for a couple of months!;-)
I'm really aware already of how AWFUL fags smell!
I can smell smokers a mile off now!
Yuk!
I used to smell like that...!!

Onwards onto day 6 tomorrow!
Claire xxx

That is terrific news Claire - even if you don't notice big changes, people around you will - you won't smell horribly of smoke anymore and soon you probably will start to notice how other smokers smell, or even your clothes and hair if you've been in a smoky environment.

Keep going, you can do it!:)

susieqt said:
That is terrific news Claire - even if you don't notice big changes, people around you will - you won't smell horribly of smoke anymore and soon you probably will start to notice how other smokers smell, or even your clothes and hair if you've been in a smoky environment.

Keep going, you can do it!:)

Thanks so much for the words of encouragement Susie!
I'm soooo proud of myself, and never realised how much smokers STINK!!
That was ME a few weeks ago!!
I've not gained any weight either, but probably because I'm on the patches.
Once I'm off them I think my metabolism will dip for a few weeks, but it's better than smoking, and I work out 3 times a week doing cardio and weights so hopefully the damage won't be too severe! :)

hiya claire,
ive just read through your posts, and you seem a inspiration to us all!..
sam......x

Wow - 10 weeks is nearly a quarter of a year!!! You are doing so well.:bliss:

Great news that you are managing to keep the weight in check at the same time - i think that stopping smoking was one of the factors that resulted in my getting really fat as i nibbled a lot of bad things instead:(

Thanks!! It's been easier than I thought really, and I exercise 4 or 5 times a week so that helps! I'm completely off everything now and have been for a few days. I'm chuffed to bits!! Hoping I won't gain weight now I'm off the nicotine, as I've read it can really affect your metabolism, but ay least I'm free from the slavery of smoking! :) :) :)

It's now one year and two months since I quit smoking and I feel fantastic, don't miss it at all and have only gained 8 pounds over all that time, and I think that's because my body is " comfortable" at that weight. I'm still the same dress size and fitter than ever, so all you folk that are worried about the effects of quitting on your waistline, it's possible to maintain your weight and give up too!

:) good luck to all you quitters out there! x

Back