Newbie, first week, only 0.5lb loss

I had my first weigh in today but did not stay because I only lost 0.5lb and I was feeling very disheartened. I couldn't stop to talk to anyone because I was about ready to cry.

I do Green Days because I do not like meat. I have followed the diet religiously, apart from once or twice I forgot to eat a second healthy B because I was full from all the free foods. I have had a maximum of 4.5 syns for the whole WEEK, so that my weight loss would be kick started. SS fruits are difficult for me to eat as they cause me pain (allergies caused by chronic illness), but I have been having a few mixed berries with yoghurt each day. I eat other SS foods like baked beans. I eat some quorn each day. I tend to have one portion each of pasta and potatoes a day, unless I am feeling really hungry then I will have a third.

Despite it saying that we can eat as huge a portion of these as we like, I shall reduce them. I have trouble drinking enough, I often get dehydrated. I shall however try and get this up to one litre a day to try and stop water retention. My mum told me on the phone that the last time I followed a slimming club diet, 10 years ago, I didn't lose until the second week and that my sister is the same. I don't drink alcohol so don't have that to cut out.

This has been the week before my period too (take the last pill today), and I heard that this can cause a problem with weight loss? I have recently been diagnosed with poly cystic ovaries and insulin resistantance. The doctor said that these may make losing weight harder, but before I knew I had these I lost 4 stone, a hard bout of depression put 3 of them back on.

Anyway, I just wanted to see if you could advise anything. I have had other friends on the diet tell me that I will lose weight faster by actually eating Syns? Seems daft!

Thanks all, and hello!

Sakura

I have followed the diet religiously, apart from once or twice I forgot to eat a second healthy B because I was full from all the free foods. I have had a maximum of 4.5 syns for the whole WEEK

Those very things could be the thing thats stopped you having a better weight loss. Someone will be able to advise you better but I believe youre meant to have syns every day. You need to follow the diet exactly the way its designed.

Hope you have a better week this week

Well done on the weight loss - half a pound off is better than half on!! It's a step in the right direction.

The drinking enough water thing is hard for me too. A friend told me that it's essential to drink lots each day as it apparently helps to flush the fat cells out of your body. So try to drink it, even if you're not thirsty.

Good luck!

..And don't worry, I don't use all my syns either. Some days I'll use none, other days about 4. Sometimes about 20 on a speacial occasion. I don't use my 10-15 each day and I'm still having some good weight losses.

Have you done any exercise? That can make a big difference.

Oh hun, if only you knew how many of us have been there in the first week!

Firstly, half a pound is still a loss and that's always good. As I always say, go get the butter out and imagine it wrapped round you. Well done - esp. the week before Auntie Flo comes. I never lose much that week.

Second, in your first week your body is adjusting. Quite often we don't see the loss until next week. Factor in good ole Auntie and it's even worse. I'm sure you'll have a better loss next week.

Finally, eat your syns! I know it's strange being on a diet and being told to eat, but it works. When I started, I stuck religiously to what I thought was the plan - without syns or free food like yoghurt - and lost next to nothing. In two weeks, about a quarter of a pound. Did I get an ear-bashing here when I put up my food diary :copon:!!!! Thank God they did. My losses have never been spectacular (top is 1.75lbs) but I've lost every week since being told to eat more. You don't have to eat them every day, but try and use 70 in a week - a special treat, piece of pizza . . . whatever. Mine seem to vanish on Saturday nights :rolleyes:

And I know I said that was finally, but this one really is! Don't be downheartened. Everyone loses weight at their own rate. You can't starve yourself and on SW there's no reason to go hungry. Eat what the plan says - syns and all (I sometimes miss a HexB too. Bad, I know, but I'm full!) - and I bet you next week, you'll be reporting a lovely loss.

Oh, stay for class then too! It helps.

Only 4.5 Syns for the whole week? That's where your problem is, you shouldn't have less than 5 Syns per day. The less you eat the less you lose and if you have a lot of weight to lose then I would recommend having at least 10 Syns a day.

Don't be too disheartened, everyone loses at different rates and we are all different. You should have stayed to class as you may have missed out on some valuable tips. But you will find plenty of support and advice on here, welcome to the forum x

I'd say it was totm and not enough syns, you should have at least 5. You don't have to drink just water to get your fluids, what about tea/coffee/fizzy drinks? Or you could spend some syns on fruit juices. If your losses are slow, try eating little and often, that can help boost your metabolic rate.

Anyway, it's still half a pound and a step in the right direction so don't lose heart, it WILL work! Good luck x

it's the lack of syns hon!!! and probably water retention i have at least 15 a day and sometimes go over and my weight loss has been pretty steady XXX good luck anyway and dont be disheartened.

I have about 3-4 syns a day, sometimes 0 or 1.5 and it hasnt effected me, so dont worry about your syns. Some consultants will tell you things different to others. Syns are there purely to stop you craving things such as chocolate or crisps, or to have extra things like mayo or tomato sauce, but if you dont want them, you dont have to have them.
It could be the TOTM as the others have said. The last time I gained 4.5lbs!!! So for you to loose 0.5lbs is great.
Like everyone has said, regardless how small the loss is, its still a loss.
Try and drink the water though as this is good for you and will flush out the excess weight, it will also keep you regular!

Good luck and well done on the loss Huni!

xxx

Hi there, when i done sw first time round i only lost half a pound in week 1, but week 2 i lost 5.5. Sometimes that just happens, don't be disheartened, you will prob have a good loss next week. If i were you i would make sure that you have at least 10 syns per day, and make a point of using all of your healthy extras. Good luck for next week and stick at it, you are half a pound lighter than you were last week, if you look at a block of butter, that is half a pound and that is what you have lost xx

All good advice above!

If your mum is saying that this has happened to you before, don't you think that's a pattern, and something you should not be disappointed about?!

We are all different and lose weight at vastly different rates.

You are doing all the right things. The odd missed HE here and there isn't going to do too much damage, but not eating your syns really is! From experience, I know that not eating them can hinder your weight loss. It took me a long time to get my head round the fact that eating more is good for your loss! And it's good for the mind too. If you are eating more 'normal' foods, you won't feel like you're on a restrictive diet and thus be less likey to give up.

Don't give up...

There are many people here who've gone through the same as you and gone on to have great losses. Yes, it's disheartening when you see people reporting 4,5,6,7,8lb + losses (I know! I only ever lose 1 or ½ a week!!)...but it will come together for you.

You're all very lovely, do you know that? :D

I have 31lb to lose to my first target, then I am going to see how I feel as to whether I go lower. That target gets me into a comfy size 14 and all my clothes will fit again!

It does freak me out that I can eat syns, and I'm so full from the free food. I do miss desserts though, I've not had a full dinner without dessert, so I will pick up some of that Skinny Cow ice cream. They taste nice and even though I feel naughty they are only 4.5 syns a stick! I like to drink milk so I can bump my syns up with an extra half a pint some days.

I do feel fantastic eating so much fruit and vegetables instead of junk, no more post munching tired slumps! My boyfriend has noticed how much more cheerful I am too.

My leader has my food sheet so she's going to see if there's anything she can do to help.

I am going to start doing a bit of exercise, I have been sedentary for a long time, so we're starting off with a 15 minute walk each week.

Thanks everyone again, I hope next week I will have a really good week. :D

Why not pop your food diary in here for us to have a look at?
I rarely have syns every day, but I know that I can have them if I want to!
I know of many people in my class who had 'disappointing' weight losses in their first week, but that was because they were still getting their heads round the new eating plan - next week will be better.
Also - stay to class!!! It's actually MORE important that you do this when you have a bad week, as the image therapy will motivate you and your class members and consultant might be able to help you with what went wrong.

Chin up honey, you can do this!

I did plan on staying but it took me about an hour to stop sniffling and I didn't want to embarrass myself in front of people I didn't know! :eek:

Here's my first week food diary:

Tuesday:
A) 350ml Skimmed Milk
B) Ryvita Minis

Free) Honeydew melon, potatoes, baked beans, tinned sweetcorn, strawberries, dried spaghetti, broccoli, frozen peas, Quorn peppered beef deli slices, mushrooms, Quark, red grapes.

Syns) 0

Wednesday:
A) 350ml Skimmed Milk
B) 2 Dairylea Tri-Bites
B) 28g Weetabix Oatiflakes

Free) Red grapes, potatoes, fry light, quorn lamb cutlet, green beans, broccoli, fat free natural yoghurt, strawberries, chicken & mushroom Pasta'n'Sauce.

Syns) 0

Thursday:
A) 2 Dairylea Tri-Bites
B) Ryvita Minis

Free) Potato, frozen Quorn sausages, baked beans, tinned sweetcorn, fat free natural yoghurt, red grapes, strawberries, carrots, Quorn peppered beef deli slices, beef savoury rice, egg.

Syns) 0

Friday:
A) 350ml Skimmed Milk
B) Ryvita Minis

Free) Dried pasta, Quark, Quorn lamb cutlet, cherry tomatoes, broccoli, banana, fat free natural yoghurt, mango, blueberries, red grapes, potatoes, baked beans, tinned sweetcorn.

Syns) 1 x Skinny Cow mint ice cream stick = 4.5

Saturday:
A) 250ml Skimmed Milk
B) Ryvita Minis
B) 28g Oatiflakes

Free) Banana, potatoes, Quorn peppered steak fillet, green beans, peas, dried meat-free bolognese, dried pasta, cherry tomatoes, red pepper, fat free natural yoghurt, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, mango, red grapes.

Syns) 0

Sunday:
A) 350ml Skimmed Milk
A) 2 Dairylea Tri-Bits
B) Ryvita Minis
B) 28g Oatiflakes

Free) Mushroom & Wine Pasta'n'Sauce, peas, turkey & stuffing Quorn deli slices, potatoes, Fry Light, green beans, Quorn peppered beef steak, banana, fat free natural yoghurt, red grapes, mango, mixed berries (strawberries, raspberries, red currants, black currants, blueberries, blackberries), couscous, Bovril (jar).

Syns) 0

Monday:
A) 2 Dairylea Tri-Bites
B) Ryvita Minis
B) 28g Oatiflakes

Free) Red grapes, mixed berries (strawberries, raspberries, red currants, black currants, blueberries, blackberries), mango, fat free natural yoghurt, turkey & stuffing Quorn deli slices, potato, baked beans, tinned sweetcorn.

Syns) 1 x French Fry crisps = 4.5

All the fruit and vegetables I have are either fresh or frozen. I only drink water (I use frozen fruit as ice cubes), Bovril or milk as a healthy extra. My food allergies are mainly: Artificial sweeteners, wheat bran (so I cannot eat wholewheat products, which is 90% of the healthy Bs!), most fruit (the only fruits that do not affect me seriously are bananas and red grapes, I am eating the other fruits in small quantities and coping with the additional pain), tomatoes (again, having them in small quantities).

"My food allergies are mainly: Artificial sweeteners"

Yes, I have the same problem..

On the face of it, that food diary looks fine to me. Doesn't look like there's anything wrong there at all *hug* That's good for a first week!

I don't have nearly enough fruit - only usually grapes in a typical week, so don't worry too much about that. It may well slow down the weight loss but you can take a scenic route with me ;)

Thanks JT! :)

Artificial sweeteners are the devil's dandruff. I hate the things now, and they are everywhere in diet foods.

I really love grapes, the red ones, I can eat half 250g in a day easily. I wish they were SS foods! I cut them up and put them in fat free natural yoghurt. They sweeten it up really well and make my own equivalent of a Muller light. ;)

I had a real craving for something sweet that wasn't fruit tonight. I remembered that I still had to use up a healthy B, so I had 2 rounds of toast with 2 syns worth of strawberry jam. Oh WOW it tasted good after a week of fruit and veg! I savoured every last bite!

Back