Newbie shopping for the basics

Tugboat

Hello,

I am joining Slimming World on Thursday, as the class is in the evening I want to get some basic shopping ingredients in so I can start Thursday evening/Friday morning as I mean to go on.

Can anyone help me with what I should be looking to buy in advance e.g. I have seen people mention something called fry-light :confused: . Granulated sweetners is another I am unsure of, is there one thats better than another.

Any general advice would be very welcome.

Thanks,

Tim :copon:

Last edited:
Frylight is a must, lots of vegetables (fresh or frozen) fruit, and very lean meat. Eggs are great too they are free and can be used for so many different meals. I could not live without my pasta and potatoes (I maily do green days) and of course mullerlight yogs are a godsend (be careful though as not all are free). I find passata is great for basic pasta and chilli sauces and I always have tinned beans and peas around. Hope that helps.

Of the sweeteners, I prefer splenda. Meat-wise, you want the extra lean/low fat variety. Bachelors savoury rice is free on green/extra easy, they're handy for taking for lunch.

In a nutshell - any fresh fruit or veg and lean meat and fish!

As already said, fry light is a SW godsend!!

Buy a 400g loaf of bread (the small one) if you like to have 2 slices, I never buy a large loaf as I feel cheated if I have only one slice....

Fat free natural yoghurt and fromage frais are great for adding to sauces at the end of cooking. VLF cottage cheese for quiches or snacking and eggs!

Oh and tins, lots of tins!! My cupboard is stocked with tinned chopped tomatoes, baked beans, mushy peas and a variety of different beans for chillis, tuna in brine or water.

Batchelors pasta in sauce and savoury rice and ainsley harriot cous cous are great for snacks or lunch.

And don't forget your treats!!
Jay xx

Bathcelors super noodles to go are great for snacking on if your at work (only the low fat ones) they're lovely too!! I have them for supper sometimes and they hit the spot!:D

I do mainly red days so can only say for those....although cottage cheese...if you like it you can have plenty of it! Make sure you have plenty of spices and herbs so that you can add zing to you meals.....and skimmed milk! Laughing cow triangles light. Everyone above has covered most things.

Good luck with it. I found it was easier to do my shopping online at first cos I could sit and compare with my books.

I do green days and these are the staples: Pasta, spaghetti, potatoes, Quorn (mince, swedish balls, chicken pieces), eggs, frylight, fruit, veg, salad, pickled onions

Most things have been covered so just a few things to add:

Laughing Cow triangles are a must for me, you can have 5 as a HEA I think and you can have them on toast, melt them in pasta, on their own or to make a cheesy sauce.

I like to fry leeks in fry light and then add 5 laughing cow triangles and a splash of milk.... Yummy

Also if you like your wine, I buy the small bottles from Asda (5 for £5) and then you can keep a track of your syns easier.

Most things have been covered so just a few things to add:

Laughing Cow triangles are a must for me, you can have 5 as a HEA I think and you can have them on toast, melt them in pasta, on their own or to make a cheesy sauce.

I like to fry leeks in fry light and then add 5 laughing cow triangles and a splash of milk.... Yummy

Also if you like your wine, I buy the small bottles from Asda (5 for £5) and then you can keep a track of your syns easier.

That leek thng sounds yummy! I shal have to try that, would it go nice with chicken do you think? :D

Back