Non perishable healthy snacks for my son

TeresaTT

I need some ideas for healthy snacks for my twelve year old son to have at school. He has severe learning difficulties and is like a toddler. When he gets very hungry he becomes aggressive and starts scratching and biting as he can't communicate that he's hungry. He loves his food and eats loads resulting in him being nearly obese. At home he loves to eat SW with us and so far his weight is maintaining.

However, I need some snacks that will keep as once a week he comes to school straight from the respite home. I've thought of cereal bars but they seem to be little more than sugary bars. Can anyone recommend any actually healthy cereal bar or perhaps have any other ideas. My son loves almost all food, especially fruit and veg but they won't keep in a bag over the weekend.

Thanks.

How about mug shots? You just need a kettle - no microwave or cooker required - and they really fill a hole. I have a couple in my drawer at work all the time for emergency lunches or even just afternoon nibbles. Other than that mini bags of dried apricots?

malted fruit loaf, dried fruit, seeds. Some fruits ie tangerines, bananas keep well in warmth. Savoury muffins? made with seeds/carrot.

Thanks for the suggestions. Dried fruit is a good one, though it's high in syns and he might eat a lot. I'll look out for the Fruitis bars though I can't find them on the web. Mugshots aren't practical for my son as it's at school and it would have to be fed to him or he'd make a mess with it.

In Asda you can buy little bags of chopped fresh fruit (appples, grapes etc) that keep for about a week depending on the use by date on them. I buy them for my son as he likes apples but only when chopped up! They are ideal for lunch boxes.

If you go to classes can you buy him some Hi-Fi bars? Or get some Alpen Lights from the supermarket.
I make myself eat it but Scan Bran Cake keeps well in a bag over the weekend (I often take it to my FIL's). I have a recipe for SW carrot muffins (3.5syns each) or SW Blueberry muffins (3 syns each) if you'd like them? They'd also keep well in an airtight box.
What about babybels? Or Golden Vale Light cheesestrings are 2 for a HEa?

Back