Norfolk Broad Boats - A Wild Stab In The Dark!

icemoose

The Diet Guy
Jo and I are about to bid on a boat on the Norfolk Broads so we can get some relaxing in...

Anyway don't suppose anyone is an expert on boats in anyway!

The boat we want is more than we can afford and not sure how overpriced boats are and also need to get it surveyed but not sure where to start!

Any advice/experiences appreciated!

Mike

Can't help I'm afraid but it's very exciting! Thought I'd bump this up for you.

Wow how exciting ....I have been on the broads, when I was a child and loved it !!!!! If you do get it then if you ever wanna rent it out !!!!!

whay dont you go to someone like Blakes Boats who rent the canal boats for holidays. you can ask them for a owners anticapated income, which you can then take to the marine mortgage company. you may only have to rent your boat for say 15 weeks a year and its paid for its own mortgage/loan and you use it when you want inbetween

Devil's Advocate coming in here....

Don't forget you have tofactor in all the annual costs - mooring fees, licences, insurance, etc.

Are you going to be sleeping on it lots or mainly day trips? Is it really wise to go so far over budget if you are a 'novice' sailor?

JUST HAD AN OFFER ACCEPTED ON THE BOAT!

The boat we really really wanted was 7 thousand more than we wanted to spend so I bid 7 grand under and they said no!

Anyway they came back and saif they would drop 3 thousand.

I said no!!

Then they said 4 thousand off....

And I said no!!

So we then settled on 5 thousand off of the price they wanted!

Just paid the deposit and subject to survey I am now Captain Icemoose !!

M.

OOOOh how exciting Mike, sorry Captain Mike are you gonna dress up in a nice sailors outfit now. lol

Never been to the broads and we should because its so close, I will look out for you.

Congratulations, does it have a name yet ???

Devil's Advocate coming in here....

Don't forget you have tofactor in all the annual costs - mooring fees, licences, insurance, etc.

Are you going to be sleeping on it lots or mainly day trips? Is it really wise to go so far over budget if you are a 'novice' sailor?

Also, don't forget fuel costs and servicing fees:eek:

Sorry to be a downer but they do mount up!!!

We used to own a Beneteau Antares 760 and kept it down in Southampton - we had to sell it because of the "upkeep" costs. We now have a 7mtr Rib that is kept down in Poole - sadly we haven't used it as much as we would have liked this year.

Anyway...I'm sure you will have hours of fun and relaxation on your new baby Captain Mike:D

Enjoy:D

P.s. I'm very impressed with your haggling skills:p

My OH had shared ownership of a 25ft Westerly Windrush - we never got to spend any time on it once the twins came along and in the end we had to 'gift' it to the yacht club. We looked at buying a boat on the Thames but where the part of the river where we live is so expensive for mooring fees we had to pass!

Hope you have lots of fabulously happy times on the Broads - I'm soooooo jealous

Morning All!!

Well I finally get my boat this week on Thursday and so excited!!

Here is a pickie!

9356594_5.jpg

Training on it all day Thursday to get my RYA Helmsman certificate so I am safe to use it without putting us all at risk and then I am set!!! I have my laptop with it's 3G card ready for late night Minimins in the middle of the broad!

Mike

It was called SNOW TIGER and apparently unlucky to change it so have decided to leave it at that as we quite liked it anyway!

M.

That's a good name, maybe it will bring lots of snow! I love snow! (Not the mess all the slushy salt makes on the sides of your car though!)

I love snow as well! I am a real Xmas kid, I love carols and Xmas songs even in October!

M.

I love walking into those airconditioned shops at Disney when it's 40 degrees outside, but the whole shop is full of Christmas stuff, playing Christmas music and the scent of cinnamon in the air!

Back