Not been a Kindle thread for a while!

Maximus

Gold Member
As a lot of people will have received them or know family/friends who received them for Christmas, anyone any good recommendations for the Kindle - be it freebies, or mega-cheap books?

Free "Classics" available for free at present include, Treasure Island, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, The Jungle Book and Black Beauty.

American favourites The Advenures of Tom Sawyer and Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.

All good, free ways of building up your libraries;)

I have had my Kindle for a while now. I still get books from the library, but the Kindle is so light and convenient for taking with me on long rail journeys or holidays.

I have loads of free classics on it - Austen, Trollope, Gaskell, Conan Doyle - old favourites I can always go back to. And the Bible and Shakespeare (this is beginning to sound like Desert Island Discs!!)

In the summer there were a lot of 99p books, and I stocked up and haven't read them all yet. Nothing in the current 99p offer has interested me so far.

What I have found is some short stories by old favourites which I haven't seen in book form. Some Harry Bosch stories by Michael Connolly and a couple of Isabel Dalhousie stories by Alexander McCall Smith. They were very cheap. It is worth keeping an eye on your favourite authors to see if anything turns up.

And I read the other day that you can use the directions feature of Google Maps (text only, the maps don't really work very well) if you want to find a route, or if you are lost when you are out. So far, me and my Kindle haven't got lost - but you never know!!

may I ask a stupid question being a new kindle user. Can I turn it off? Mine goes on standby but then the battery goes down before I read it. Is it possible to turn it off properly . Yes I'm a little thick but I have no instructions as we got it 'used' :( xxxx

Kindle app on ipad is amazing! (colour pictures and covers too)

Jackie, just an observation, Kindle battery life is amazing. As it goes into standby by itself, thee's no need to ever switch it off and just charge it every once in a while.

if your kindle is running out of battery quickly, turn off the wifi. i have had my kindle since 10th oct and have only had to charge it 3 times, and i read a lot!
the kindle doesnt actually use any battery when it is in sleep mode, it only uses battery to turn the pages. once the image or text is on the screen it doesnt use any.

Maximus said:
As a lot of people will have received them or know family/friends who received them for Christmas, anyone any good recommendations for the Kindle - be it freebies, or mega-cheap books?

Free "Classics" available for free at present include, Treasure Island, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, The Jungle Book and Black Beauty.

American favourites The Advenures of Tom Sawyer and Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.

All good, free ways of building up your libraries;)

Thanks for the tip, just been on and downloaded 20 or so freebies! :)

may I ask a stupid question being a new kindle user. Can I turn it off? Mine goes on standby but then the battery goes down before I read it. Is it possible to turn it off properly . Yes I'm a little thick but I have no instructions as we got it 'used' :( xxxx

If you want the battery to last longer turn wireless off when you are done downloading. I've been told it makes a difference in battery life ;)

Maximus said:
Any recommendations?

Not yet, just went mad with the buy button.
Downloaded quite a few "classics" I thought I might give them a whirl.

I don't think it's in the free ones but "Dear Coca Cola" is a good lighthearted read with lol moments and " Broadmoor revealed" is in the freebies and is quite a good factual book if that's your thing :)

I put my recipes on it, just send them in Word format to your Kindle e-mail address and they will be on your kindle in secs!
If you want the battery to last only leave the WiFi on for downloads.....

Not yet, just went mad with the buy button.
Downloaded quite a few "classics" I thought I might give them a whirl.

I don't think it's in the free ones but "Dear Coca Cola" is a good lighthearted read with lol moments and " Broadmoor revealed" is in the freebies and is quite a good factual book if that's your thing :)
Yes I bought Dear Coca Cola a while ago as recommended on here. I bought another 3 or 4 Terry Ravenscroft books on the strength of it and quite funny and very cheap;)

A bit like me really......:p

My daughter and I use this site regularly.

Free Books for Your Kindle | eReaderIQ.co.uk

We have registered with the site and get an email daily with new books released for free. They are not normally well known authors, but there are a good range of books available. I have loads of books on my Kindle and only a handlful of them were paid for.

Hi all,

I got a kindle for Christmas and I love it! I know these aren't the free/cheap books but wanted to share a couple of good books I have read lately:

The help by Kathryn Stockett
Night Circus- Erin Morgenstern- reading currently and it is FANTASTIC!

Next on my list to read are:

The Hunger games trilogy by Suzanne Collins
Game of Thrones series by George R R Martine
Double Dexter (from the Dexter series) by Jeff Lindsay- I would recommend these books I really enjoy them!
The affair by Lee Child
Jamrach's Managerie- Carol Birch
1Q84 Haruki Murakami
11/22/63 Stephen King
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar children-Ransom Riggs
Left Neglected- Lisa Genova (This sounds interesting- about a women who has an accident and looses all ability from her left side, ability to perceive information, movement etc)
The particular sadness of lemon cake- Aimee Bender

The list goes on and on and on! I might be busy this year :)

Anyone else got a list they are waiting to read?

Hi all - I got one for Crimbo too & so far loving it.

I surfed for a nice cover to protect it & was gobsmacked to learn that I could be looking at nearly 1/2 the price again :eek:
Has anyone found decent ones at a more reasonable price? I've got one winging it's way to me from HK (e-bay) but I'm not expecting much for £9 but it'll do till I find something else.

I did buy a nice 'skin' for it though so it's not just a boring grey thing!

Hi all - I got one for Crimbo too & so far loving it.

I surfed for a nice cover to protect it & was gobsmacked to learn that I could be looking at nearly 1/2 the price again :eek:
Has anyone found decent ones at a more reasonable price? I've got one winging it's way to me from HK (e-bay) but I'm not expecting much for £9 but it'll do till I find something else.

I did buy a nice 'skin' for it though so it's not just a boring grey thing!

I found the nicest cover and I got it for £5.99 and its amazing. Its was inthe seconds section (and can't find a flaw in it) of

its by Lente Designs . Google them ;) Can't recommend highly enough beautifully made, fab design x

Back