O/T Does anyone Geocache?

mollydog

Silver Member
I know many of you will think what is geocaching - i certainly did until very recently. Its really a bit of a treasure hunt using a gps. My friend got me into it a few weeks ago.
You use a gps (or a paper map, but i'm not that bright!) to plot co-ordinates and then it takes you to a cache. A cache is a small hidden container which sometimes has wee goodies in it, similar to what you may get in a christmas cracker. All containers will have paper to reccord your visit. You must be registered to leave your name. I find my first one by myself a few days ago in my village cos i recognised the description, sadly exciting!!
I've still to get myself a gps but as i have to walk the dog anyway, i'm looking forward to looking for items
If you are interested www.geocaching.co.uk will give you lots of info.
Mx
:chores016:

My son got into this last year. He wrote an article for our local newspaper to try and get more people interested

He got the GPS and took the dog miles in his quests. When he went to Norfolk with his Dad he found virtually everyone within 20 mile radius of where they were staying. Had a carrier bag full of collectables that he got a friend here to help him put back out.

He has a group of friends that are fanatical about it and go all over the country . His interest has wained now although he does do it occasionally. His problem is he doesn't have a car and he very soon exhausted all the ones within about a 15 mile walking radius. Exhausted the poor dog too lol.

It's a good way to get out and about and see places on your doorstep you didn't know were there. I went with him a couple of times but was rubbish:rolleyes:

Good Luck if you get into like my son did it will certainly get you fit.

my sister and brother in law are into geocaching in a big way, they live in the south but have been all over the country geocaching, whenever they come up to visit us they take us out with them, they go to meetings and have been "no1" on the geocaching leader baord they even geocach abroad. they used to use maps and co-ordinates but now use a GPS.

i've just upgraded my phone to get the gps, dont know if it will be good enough but i'll give it a go.
i work in a school so this is my 3rd of 6 weeks off. sounds great to have such a long break but i actually get quite bored and i'm looking forward to getting out in the fresh air, there is only so much housework i can do!

Back