Any other fellow Geocachers out there?

I do it. I have the app on my iPhone and love it. There's one hidden in the trolley bay in my local Tesco and I've been trying to get at it for months, but annoyingly there always seems to be a 'man with newspaper' eyeing me suspiciously from a nearby car, whic is waiting for his wife to finish the shopping - EVERY time I try to go near it.

Someday I should just brazen it out and look anyway and ignore the stares :D

Well the Go-Outdoors 'window' shopping went well. I like the Garmin 20 as it comes with world wide base maps, but I'd still be able to buy maps. Whereas the Explorer website isn't user friendly, I'm struggling to find a downloadable/purchase a detailed map of Florida.

I've checked out a Geo-cacher website & there are loads of caches near where I live so I best get this darn gps ordered soon.

Anyone care to explain or describe base maps and their usefulness (or otherwise)?

I have ample SATNAV, for my purpose I think OS maps is really what I need for hiking rambling. I hate not knowing about a subject as it usually means expensive purchases!

Steve

Oh, I tried the free app for the iphone. Going tomorrow to find one near me - nothing much to do on the day off before I leave for Manchester (then on to FLorida).

I purchased a Garmin Dakota 10, which arrived today complete with basemap. I think it is basically a basic map without the landmarks, eg, places of interest, detailed roads etc.

I'm feeling a bit grump at the mo, as I'm struggling to download maps to my gps.

I have though downloaded 3 geocache routes which I'll try over the weekend.

Have a lovely holiday;)

There is a lot of help on the groundspeak forums, via the geocaching.com website.
Usually someone has asked whatever you need!
My dad has the dakota and he uploaded maps as it only had the base maps and he managed it quite easily (not sure how he got the maps though!)

The dakota is good, we compared it to our oregan 550t and whilst the oregon is better, it is a lot more expensive, and the dakota is a good option.

Good luck, hope you get your first cache soon!

I find geocaching incredibly addictive, we don't go anywhere without me checking for caches and have to pick up at least one in each new area!

Oh my what a brilliant idea.

I'm stunned at how many are nearby!

There are some letterbox caches out there, although not as many as the other sorts of caches.
You can use the iphone app for geocaching too.

People are amazed how many are out there in their areas, to a cacher with an experienced eye they are sometimes quite obvious, for "muggles" they are simply not seen!!

Love it!

Back