O/T Job Definition Help

Gemma

Gold Member
Hi all,

I am just filling in an application form that asks if you have experience in Computerised Management Information System.

I have had a quick google but there is no basic definition on there. Does anybody use this that would be able to give me a quick over view.

Thanks

I might be wrong but its similar to what we have on our job applications and I think its an electronic filing system...ie on a computor....hope this helps...does it not explain anywhere else and is it essential or desirable on the form..xx

Thanks for you reply

On the specification it is an essential skill, there is no other further explanation apart from use of CIMS.

I think it is something I have used in the past but don't want to come across as an idiot if I go on to explain how I have used it and I have got the wrong thing.

I found this following definition, basically they just want to know if you've used a computerized data system in the workplace:

Management Information Systems (MIS), are information systems, typically computer based, that are used within an organization. WordNet described an information system as a system consisting of the network of all communication channels used within an organization. ... components that collect, manipulate, and disseminate data or information... people, communications systems such as telephone lines, and the data itself. The activities involved include inputing data, processing of data into information, storage of data and information, and the production of outputs such as management reports...
Decision Support Systems, Expert systems, and Executive information systems.

(MIS) A computer system, usually based on a {mainframe} or {minicomputer}, designed to provide management personnel with up-to-date information on an organisation's performance, e.g. inventory and sales. These systems output information in a form that is useable by managers at all levels of the organisation: strategic, tactical, and operational. More

The term system in MIS implies order, arrangement and purpose. The information can be used for various purposes,

I use MIS in my job, basically it provides me with stats on each member of staffs performance on different areas of their role. It is also used for personnel data input, absences, sickness, training attended, disciplinaries etc and all their personal information too. Its basically an electronic folder on each member of staff

Back