OFF SUBJECT... driving in France

Maintainer

** Chief WITCH **
Totally off subject but, for anyone coming over to France this year, you should know that because of a 20% increase in road deaths last month, signs pre-announcing radar cameras are to be removed.

In addition, driving 50kph over the limit is now a crime (previously it meant leaving your car on foot and handing in your licence, so unsure what this actually means. Court and prison?!).

Being caught on the phone will be a three point deduction.

Being caught with over 0,8g/l alcohol will be an eight point deduction.

Les panneaux des radars condamnés à disparaître - France - TF1 News

Last edited:
That's very good to know because driving in France is exactly what I am planning on doing this summer. We're auto-training it down to Narbonne, then driving to my mum and dad's teensy house in the foothills of the Pyrenees.

But can they do that? Isn't there a law saying they have to announce the cameras?

Not that I'd be speeding anyway :innocent0002:

They were well hidden anyway, Jo, despite having the warning. Can't see it will change anything (especially as so many people have satnavs and the speed cameras are indicated on them).

My brother isn't far from the Pyrenees - nearer Toulouse than the mountains though. Narbonne beach is nice (off-season:p), would imagine it's packed in the summer - are you lucky enough to be able to avoid school holiday period?

Unfortunately, we're going on the mega 'quinze aout'. However, we are going on the Monday after the big weekend, so hopefully the worst will be over. And my parents are only about an hour from Narbonne, round and down to the south, and in the middle of nowhere, so fingers crossed for an OK journey.

Back