OMG - I've heard it all now!

I dont think ANYONE gets surgery as an easy option, Im sure most people who get one are literally at the end of their tether and have tried everything else.

While CD is a fantastic diet, with brilliant results its NOT for everyone. I couldnt do it not a chance, and believe me Ive considered it but I know it wouldnt work for me at all. If you look on the Weight Loss Surgery section here youll see many of the people there have tried CD among other things.

Surgery isnt an easy option and its certainly not a 'lazy' way to lose weight

Having surgery always seems like a slightly lazy way of losing the weight
and its certainly not a 'lazy' way to lose weight
I think she ment lazier way and I agree physically. Mentally maybe not as you need to be desperate to put youself through it.
Lets face it if we all kept our mouths shut ate less and exercised we wouldn't need diets or weight loss surgery (easier said than done though.;))

Yes I know CD isn't for everyone BUT I think weight loss surgery should be seen as a last resort not a first option...I can bet that the woman who wants to gain weight to get the surgery hasn't tried all other diets first.That's what I meant by a lazy option-if you have surgery you have no choice but to lose weight as you physically can't eat more than tiny amounts etc etc.If someone has tried ALL other options, then fair enough, but to get fat and then say oh I'll just have surgery seems a bit off to me.Just my opinion and I'm sure many won't agree, but we're all entitled to our own opinions.Plus I looked into surgery myself as I wrote before but I decided I owed it to myself to try ALL other options first before going for the drastic option.

Was there anything to say this was her first attempt though?? I dont think anyone would do surgery as a first choice at all. You should read some of the posts on the WLS forum here. NOONE there is even considering surgery as anything other than a last option because everything else has failed. I dont think GPs refer you unless youve tried other things too.

Typically with most of these types of shows/articles they probably dont show the full story, I wonder if they touched on the fact she probably has tried everything else. It probably makes better telly to make it sound like shes doing it as an easy option :(

I think that if you want a gastic bypass/band it's a personal decision, but the reason why I'm fat is because I simply eat too much. Yes a bypass or band will make you lose weight but it's not tackling the issues of the bad relationship we have with food! At least in this diet you choose consciously to control what you put in your mouth and what you don't and I feel that you will get a much more sense of achievement by doing it this way. Because when you have surgery you have no choice, you can't eat much and thats it! xxx

Because when you have surgery you have no choice, you can't eat much and thats it! xxx

Not quite. A friend of mine lost masses after a gastric bypass...then put most of it back on again.

They still have to deal with the food issues.

It's difficult to comment on this ladies choices, as we really don't know what she's tried. She may well have done Cambridge and found it too hard (head not in the right place and all that). She may feel that WLS is an easy option, because she hasn't researched it enough yet.

It is sad that she feels her only option is to gain weight, but I remember feeling like that when I was 19stone and told I was 'too slim' for xenical.

In her mind, it's WLS or be overweight forever. We might well know that she could be mistaken, but we haven't walked in her shoes. Some of us have walked in a similar brand though ;)

Hi KD,

Thats what I mean, she put the weight back on because she hadn't dealt with her food demons! Therefore thats what I meant...........I didn't mean it to come across that they don't have to deal with food issue's at all, I meant that I could go and eat a whole pizza with a side and dessert and that would be my choice, but if you have surgery, it would be impossible to eat that much! xxx

It is sad that she feels her only option is to gain weight, but I remember feeling like that when I was 19stone and told I was 'too slim' for xenical.
It just shows you KD, I was 13.7 stone and my doctor was happy to put me on xenical. Just shows how different doctors work. It makes me wonder how heavy you would have needed to be for them to prescribe it!

Checking my prescribing book

"Orlistat (Xenical).... individuals with a BMI of 30kg/m2 or more, or in individuals with a BMI of 28kg/m2 in the pesence of other risk factors such as diabetes tye 2, hypertension or hypercholesterolaemia"

Actually having checked the rest of the section on anti-obesity drugs I am now too thin for all of them :D (BMI wise only mind lol)

This thread has really made me look at the flip side of the coin. I'd really not given the woman on TV any credit for having possibly tried other diets. All the posts have reminded me that you shouldn't judge a book by its cover. Thanks everyone!

As usual the crux of the matter is the 'postcode lottery'. Different health boards have different criteria to be met re slimming drugs and wls, varying widely.

I have posted on almost every board on here and then stopped cos I haven't been able to stick with the diet. I class myself as a food addict, I have a mental obsession with food. I lost 3.5st when I first tried LL in 2006 and put on five st within a year and I have been trying ever since to get back into it (plus CD twice, LT 3 times..oh and Exante). It is extremely demoralising and I am thinking wls is my last hope. I know I have to get my head sorted and I am hoping OA can help me with this.

Back