OT - Depression

LisaC

Gold Member
I know you can feel low & down in the dumps etc etc but apart from going to see a Dr how do you know when you may possibly be suffering from depression?

With me it's waking up early in the morning and not being able to go back to sleep again, being snappy and tearful and unable to concentrate, and wanting peace and quiet and being left on my own.

You begin to feel that life doesn't really matter anymore because you have descended into a black hole and there is no way of getting out of it again, and wanting to stay in bed all day as there is nothing left to get up for.

I hope your Dr will be able to help you. X

With me it's waking up early in the morning and not being able to go back to sleep again, being snappy and tearful and unable to concentrate, and wanting peace and quiet and being left on my own.

I tend to feel like this also with the feeling that there is a big black hole in front of me and am about to fall in it and there is no way out. Together with thoughts of self-harm. Also have 'up' days and 'down' days.

When I was seeing someone at my GPs I was told that Diet Coke can contribute to feelings of depression - something to do with interfering with the nerve processes and diet can have a big impact.

The person I was seeing actually recommended Slimming World. I did mention another diet but she didn't have much time for that one. I assume because there was not enough emphasis on healthy eating, just cutting down.

Liz

Ive had a pretty hellish year & for months all Ive said is I don't want to do things with my friends, want to be left alone & I am very tearful all the time. My parents want to take me on holiday soon which is lovely but I even feel I don't want to go...for no reason. I don't want to self-diagnose but I just think maybe if I go to my Dr he'll just say I get low just like everyone else & I'm no different. I don't know.

It can effect people in so many different ways. Sometimes it can be a feeling of numbness. No emotion, rather than feeling very sad or upset. No energy, complete change in sleeping pattern/insomnia, pressure headaches, not being interested in doing things you used to find fun, being snappy with people and having no patience with people/things, etc.. The list goes on I'm afraid.
If you are feeling like you could be depressed it is better to see someone. If you're scared or worried about medication, then explain that, there are other ways of treating depression. I have very recently started going to counselling again after a break of 2 years and I'm finding that quite helpful. It's going well enough that I have now halved my AD dose!
If you need someone to talk to, feel free to give me a shout. But your Dr is a good person to start with and just see what happens. Remember, you don't have to do anything you don't want to :)
Lots of love,
Kelly.xx

If your doctor is worth anything he will not dismiss you, and please do not feel you are wasting his time you are not.

Go to see him/her and tell them how you feel, it may be that seeing a therapist may be sufficient, but if they do prescribe medication as cheekychinchilla said discuss any concerns about medication if you are concerned about taking it.

If you need someone to talk to, feel free to give me a shout. But your Dr is a good person to start with and just see what happens. Remember, you don't have to do anything you don't want to :)
Lots of love,
Kelly.xx

Thanks Kelly :) Much appreciated. I think I just feel so many things that maybe Im the one thinking don't be a drama queen, you're not depressed...I guess only the Dr can decide.

i had clinical depression a few years back and there is a slight difference between a low time and depression. i splet hours and i really just hated the world and wanted to die. but now i am happier obviously i have bad days there is always hope :)

Lise, I think one of the main symptoms of depression is not realising that something's not right. You've noticed something's wrong so I wouldn't worry about sounding alarm bells too loudly hun. I'm not one who believes in anti-depressants and medication, but you'll find other people really rate them.

I say start with some gentle exercise, join an aqua aerobics class or something - it's amazing what a small injection of endorphins can do for you. And yes please do speak to a doctor if you feel like it's all getting too much. And good luck, you're doing so well with your weight loss and are looking wonderful, maybe it's the last stalling bit of weight that's getting you down and you need a bit of a pickmeup to kick start your weight loss again? xx

And good luck, you're doing so well with your weight loss and are looking wonderful, maybe it's the last stalling bit of weight that's getting you down and you need a bit of a pickmeup to kick start your weight loss again? xx

Thank you :) I havnt done well on SW recently & Im so far away from the weight I'd like to be that yes it has dragged me down. But SW aside, when I consider eveything else & how long I've felt like this I don't think I'm just feeling 'low'....I'll have to decide what to do.

Ive had a pretty hellish year & for months all Ive said is I don't want to do things with my friends, want to be left alone & I am very tearful all the time. My parents want to take me on holiday soon which is lovely but I even feel I don't want to go...for no reason. I don't want to self-diagnose but I just think maybe if I go to my Dr he'll just say I get low just like everyone else & I'm no different. I don't know.

I know how that feels i had the same just over a year ago, had a lot on my plate and felt very depressed a lot of how you are feeling and it took a nasty episode for me to see a doc and he was so kind and understanding, gave me ADs and referred me to a counsellor, the upshot is i am now off the ADs and feeling so much better. Sometimes you need to seek outside help and be assured you are not being a drama queen hun, Hugs and hope you get the help you need to feel better again soon x

i take herbal stressless from hollant and barrent and it is brill for taking the edge of things - not a cure though you have to combine with the whole package :)

You're not being a drama queen, not at all!! I ignored my depression for years and years. But I'm glad I now have a very good Dr and a very nice counsellor. Sometimes it really does help to talk to someone who isn't actually involved in your life, be it on a forum or a counsellor or whatever-it makes you feel a lot less guilty about talking about it!
Vixxster's suggestion of gentle exercise is a very good one. When I'm having a 'good' week I do quite a lot of exercise and it really does help. But even when I'm having a 'down' day or week I try and make myself at least get out to the shops or walk the dogs. It helps an awful lot and you feel great for having made yourself do it.
And by the way, it's not easy to admit that there is something wrong-whatever it is. So you've already been incredibly brave and taken a huge step in admitting how you feel :)

Please do get in touch if you need to. I'm not very good with advice, but I've been told I'm a good listener.
Kelly.xx

Back