PCOS and slimming world

mummytummy

Silver Member
Hiya everyone,
Not to sure where to put this question so sorry if it's in the wrong place!

I did slimming world a few months ago and found my weight loss to be very very slow, I finally went to the doctors because I felt tired all the time and have not conceived in the last year and a half......not from lack of trying! lol

Anyhow I have pcos, which I know can slow weight loss down. I switched to Lipotrim(vlcd) and have lost two stone, but I want to loss it now with food.

So I will be taking metformin in two weeks time and want to give slimming world another shot......so is there anyone who can give me advice about how their weight loss has gone, if you suffer with pcos or take metformin, and if that helped to increase your weight loss?

Many Thanks for any response will be appreciated.
Kim

Hi..I also have pcos and couldn't get on with metformin at all.....it made me all shaky and light headed so I stopped taking it in the end as it wasn't really helping my weight loss at all.....have also lost a lot of weight on a vlcd but put it all back on after stopping so this time its going to come off while eating still....I find I don't lose on green days but am much better on red - though I do find I'm still hungry on red...

Re not conceiving - we took clomid and got pg almost straight away - might be worth you asking your doc about.....

Thanks for the reply.
I have heard that many people feel sick whilst taking metformin, bit nervous really!
I was thinking about clomid, do you have to be at a certain bmi first, or will they give it to you whilst being overweight? So you don't have to take metformin and clomid together then?
Sorry so many questions!!! I just want info from people who have experienced it before I talk to the doctor. thanks x

My doctor actually took me off Metaformin when he realised how serious I was 'this time' about losing weight.

Theres a new PCOS section on Minimins, dont know if youve seen it at all PCOS - MiniMins.com - Weight Loss Support Forum its quite quiet at the moment but hopefully itll see more use soon x

Hey hunny, i to have PCOS.. I just wanna say there is hope you will concieve, i was told i may need ivf, and as i lost the weight i concieved without even trying!

As for metformin i had it before, and i remember it didnt suit me either i felt quite sick on it, but it is ok for other people.

As for VLCD i was on cambridge and lost 4-5 stone on it, i gained most of it back when i started eating normal again!

If your going to give slimming world a shot, you may find sticking to red days alot better, because it basicly limits carb intake.. in a healthy way..

Good luck x

Thanks Amethyst.

Hi Starlight, why did the doc take you off it? When I had a pre-chat about it before he told me it should help me lose weight? Confused! lol

Hiya, I also have PCOS. I have had Metformin and Clomid. I was told by my consultant to loose weight to a healthy BMI before he could prescribe me Clomid. I followed the GI plan which is a good one for PCOS sufferers - lost 3st and then was prescribed the Clomid.

I did 4 cycles of Clomid and gave up hope, then next cycle without taking it I fell pregnant after 6 years of trying.... theres hope hun, stay focused and positive and it will happen for you.

I wasn't within my bmi but wasn't massively over it - the weight gain has mostly come from having kids! Clomid worked for me 1st cycle - sadly miscarried but then got pregnant the next month naturally....

2nd time round not so easy - clomid didn't work and ended up having injections to make me ovulate - only ovulated once in 12 months and my little boy is now 3 1/2 from that one miracle :)

have a chat with your doc....

I didn't have metformin and clomid together (and apologies for taking so long to reply!)

I have PCOS and i'm findin that SW is working OK, I tend to do Original or Mix to Match, but i've lost 12lb in 5 weeks so obviously the PCOS isn't making too much of a difference. Best of luck to everyone xxx

I also suffer from PCOS and I'm enjoying following SW as it's not as restrictive as others out there. In the beginning my emotions/hormones went haywire as for some reason my body can not get a long with R/G/R/G/R/G days so I now tend to do more Red/Original days to keep them in line. When I spoke to a Dr about it they said it was possible for my body to react like this as my hormones aren't insync. I've lost 12lbs in 5 weeks and I am determined to stick with it and not use any drugs/surgery etc to get there.

Apart from one miscarriage 4 years next month I've not managed to fall pregnant so I'm hoping that when I'm fit and healthy this will change and I will finally get to be pregnant and feel the tiny little life growing inside me and have a much longed for and loved bundle of joy.

Good luck with it all and just remember what the one thing you really really want at the end of it. I am sure you will make a fabulous mother xxxx

Back