Porridge

bunny_hops

Violet is shrinking
i love porridge,and i could eat all day..when i was younger i lived on porridge as i was picky and fussy with food ;)

ive been having shakes for breakie and lunch as ive never been a huge eater in the day but with the cold weather coming i think it might pay me to stop the lunch shake and have porridge for dinner which i know i will eat and love...

is there any particular oats that are best while dieting? ive got to mix it with semi skimmed and i dont think that canderel is going to taste as nice (never had it without sugar) so maybe if i added some sultanas to it tp sweeten it up..

i cant have the oats so simple and the packets are a bit on the small size portion wise and the ones i saw are out of the rules...:)

i actually love the ones im getting from the cd....
they are really nice.. and when i go back to eating, i surely intend on still having them, but adding things like raisins, or fruit with it... i love them!

how big are the portions Kes?

i love porridge,original just as it is so putting something with it like sultanas is really adventurous for me lol ;)

can you use the porridge for all the meals in the day?

I eat porridge most mornings for breakast. It is a fab food as it's low GI. I eat the oat so simple ones which I know are a bit over guidelines, but it's made from only oats so there isn't a loew fat version! I haven't had any problems with it. Sometimes I add a bit of dried fruit but usually eat it plain.
If you are having it for dinner maybe have two packs! I like the packs as I know I am just eating a measured portion of porridge and milk!

I eat the Oat So Simple porridge every day, and I've never had a side-effect with it. I add a litle museli and some raisins before I warm it up, as I don't like food that's too sloppy (I know I'm strange!)
I've never tried anything other than the sachet-syle ones, as I don't trust myself on portion control!

I eat porridge most mornings for breakast. It is a fab food as it's low GI. I eat the oat so simple ones which I know are a bit over guidelines, but it's made from only oats so there isn't a loew fat version! I haven't had any problems with it. Sometimes I add a bit of dried fruit but usually eat it plain.
If you are having it for dinner maybe have two packs! I like the packs as I know I am just eating a measured portion of porridge and milk!

What does gi mean?...i hear that everywhere and i know theres the gi diet, i just dont know what it is :)

im being quite strict with myself,that i dont eat anything over the 5g rule.im the type that if i broke that,it would probably escalatand before you know it i'll be wolfing blueberry muffins down lol :)

I eat the Oat So Simple porridge every day, and I've never had a side-effect with it. I add a litle museli and some raisins before I warm it up, as I don't like food that's too sloppy (I know I'm strange!)
I've never tried anything other than the sachet-syle ones, as I don't trust myself on portion control!

I remeber having the oats so simple when they first came out, they were yummy but call me greedy if you like,but the one packet wouldnt be big enough for me lol

portion size is definitely a problem of mine...i eat a ready meal for dinner because then i cant go wrong but i bulk it out with veg,or rice.last night i had a pasta bake,with a small steam in the bag rice with 2 small handfulls of chopped up runner beans.. ive no idea if it was too much but i ate it ha ha

i think i'd have to weigh the oats out and make it up,i dont want to be weighing everything,in my case though it could be the best option :)

GI fods are ones which release energy slowly. You feel fuller for longer and don't have a quick energy buzz that then sharply drops to a slump. Probably haven't explained it very well but it's a very healthy way of eating.

Portions are fine for me for breakfast, but as others have said maybe have 2... not sure on fat content of the packs either...

I have been very tempted to have them 3 times day, but I want some variety so I've had soups bars and shakes

I looked at my oat so simple sachets.

Dry weight porridge is over the 5g rule BUT when mixed with semi skimmed milk there is about 2.5g fat per 100g. A portion is about 200g which is 5.2g fat so well within the rules!

I had the porridge for dinner last night.. hehehe all this talk made me do it... I was full and didn't get hungry till about 11pm. Lol but that's when I should have been in bed so not complaining there.

I looked at my oat so simple sachets.

Dry weight porridge is over the 5g rule BUT when mixed with semi skimmed milk there is about 2.5g fat per 100g. A portion is about 200g which is 5.2g fat so well within the rules!

Ok, now im confused by that...the dry oats are over the 5g rule...i always thought that meant i couldnt have it?

i called in at the co op on saturday for a lottery ticket (which i still havent checked) and the oats so simple are on offer, buy 1 get 1 free :) i got them cos its easier for the kids in a morning to have them before school..

im going shopping in the morning, to look at porridge and see what i can have, do i need to look at the content when its made up then?

no. you need to look at it from a 100g (what ever it be) point of view.

Ok, now im confused by that...the dry oats are over the 5g rule...i always thought that meant i couldnt have it?

i called in at the co op on saturday for a lottery ticket (which i still havent checked) and the oats so simple are on offer, buy 1 get 1 free :) i got them cos its easier for the kids in a morning to have them before school..

im going shopping in the morning, to look at porridge and see what i can have, do i need to look at the content when its made up then?

no. you need to look at it from a 100g (what ever it be) point of view.

so i cant have the porridge then..or any for that matter :(:(

i have porridge and it does me no harm! i get porridge oats from lidl, but i just make it with water, the natural milk that comes from the oats make the oats really creamy even made with plain water. i grate apple and cinnamon in mine, its delicious!

its not so much the possible side effects, its that they are over the 5g rule and i have to stick with them,if i break rules then thats not good for me and my mind set....

i'll find a porridge 5g or under if it kills me lol :)

i know how you feel re the 5g rule! i was the same, and as soon as i had something that was out of the rules and got away with it.. there was no stopping me.
so good on you.
stick with it

just been looking at asda online....

Dorset Cereals Porridge - apple & raisin (4.8g fat per 100g)

not sure what this one is like....
Kelkin Gluten Free Porridge (2.9g fat per 100g)

or this one!!!
Pronto Pre-cooked cornmeal porridge mix - cinnamon (it says 0g fat per serving, so im assuming thats the same for 100g) sounds interesting enough to try!!!

Thanks for doing that Kes, im going to asda in the morning so i'll have a look at all the porridge they do, i thought i would look in holland and barret too, they might have oats :confused:

all this for bloody porridge lol :)

Yeah!! I have porridge! :D

They didint have the dorset one or the pronto... i saw the kelkin in the free from section, its glute free, something else free and the box was teeny tiny, but i did find one

Flahavans Welcome Page

its 5.5gs per 100gs.i wouldve prefered to have it within the 5gs,but for .5 i think its ok,and way better than going mad and having the others wihich are 8gs and over.

so i'll being be having porridge this week :D

Last edited:
Back