Portion size and maintenance query

mia_angel

Silver Member
I know we can eat as much as we want, but do you try not to have a massive portion?

Im just worried i may be having too much, i always have loads of salad of veg with each meal. Just wondered if it made a difference.

And i know its a long way off, but how do you then maintain your weight after you have lost because i wouldnt eat more than i am now to be honest

I asked this before and never got any real answers, and certainly not a definitive one!

My question re: portion size was how large a portion of potatos, rice or pasta you can have on green days.

I do not buy in as much as you like as it is a green day - my Tefal Actifry can cook 1kg or 2.2lb of potatoes. I'm sure if that was done I would never lose weight!

Someone should at least publish a minimum or maximum guideline or suggest portion weight as it is a little ambiguous as it stands.

By the way I take a portion to be 225-300g for potatoes as most recipes work out about that by dividing the portions by 4 as they are usually 900g-1.2kg.

35g-50g rice and pasta etc.

Steve

I have lost quite a bit so far, and eat HUMONGOUS portions, I don't know if that is stopping me, but I omly eat til I'm full. I trick my body into that by serving 1/2 waiting then having seconds, but I always go for seconds... Today I had a chicken boob, 1/2 onion, 3 garlic cloves, 60g mushies (2 massive ones) and a handful of baby carrots in a one pot thing), then served it with a handful of each broccoli, cauliflower and green beans. Then had pudding 1/2 a pineapple. I think I'm a piggies, but it was yummy and now I'm full and won't want to snack!

I'll take it from the experts then lol, you lost 4.5 stone thats amazing!
What will you do when you reach your goal, which isnt far off?

Soon, I shall have a BIG spa day and get the nice personal shopper lady from John Lewis to chose some nice clothes! :) Then maybe an even crazier hair cut and makeover! :)

.Someone should at least publish a minimum or maximum guideline or suggest portion weight as it is a little ambiguous as it stands.

Steve

But that would go against the whole SW ethos and it is really is eat as much as you need to feel comfortably full. That will vary from person to person and from meal to meal. I can easily get through 100-125g pasta in a meal on a green day and it certainly has never held me back.

So to the OP I would say do not worry about portions. We are conditioned to believe we have to eat less to lose weight and a lot of people feel they are eating too much when they start SW. But what you are eating is food that will sustain you for a long time in relation to its calorie content.

And to answer your question about maintaining, the official advice is to add a HE each day and keep increasing them until you maintain rather than lose. But some people prefer to add a few more syns each day as well as HEs - it's a bit of a juggling act until you find out what works for you.

But that would go against the whole SW ethos and it is really is eat as much as you need to feel comfortably full. That will vary from person to person and from meal to meal. I can easily get through 100-125g pasta in a meal on a green day and it certainly has never held me back.

So to the OP I would say do not worry about portions. We are conditioned to believe we have to eat less to lose weight and a lot of people feel they are eating too much when they start SW. But what you are eating is food that will sustain you for a long time in relation to its calorie content.

And to answer your question about maintaining, the official advice is to add a HE each day and keep increasing them until you maintain rather than lose. But some people prefer to add a few more syns each day as well as HEs - it's a bit of a juggling act until you find out what works for you.

Fair point Circes, but it concerns me a little that someone coming into SW for the first time can sit down to a plate of potatoes (for example) and have as much as they like.

Perhaps it's the wordng - as much as they need should be the byword - makes it seem less of a challenge.

As long as said potatoes are not dripping in butter or fried in goose fat of course;)

Ok these are my portions if it helps you. People say you dont have to weigh but in my experieince I dont do carbs well and these portions work for me.

Wholemeal pasta 75g-100g (no more than 100g)
1 medium-large sized white potatoe per person (mash, roast etc)
Rice 50-75g (no more than 75g)
Sweet potatoes I will have more, as I dont have the same probs with these as white potatoes, as their higher in fibre.

I always have 1/3rd superfree veg either on my plate or part of a sauce. I kinda imagine my plate divided into 3 to help me with portions.

If you are following the 1/3 superfree advice at meal times, then you portions of carbs and protein will automatically be controlled, as long as you are not using a supersize plate of course.

There is no need for weighing on Slimming World (apart from Healthy Extras of course and syns).

I was struggling to maintain so ended up reducing my target! Now need to lose about 4lb to reach that target.

Denise

Sorry to quote myself but have been to weigh in this morning and have lost 3.5lb - no idea how! I've never lost that much in a week before, so now only 0.5lb from target.

Denise

Fair point Circes, but it concerns me a little that someone coming into SW for the first time can sit down to a plate of potatoes (for example) and have as much as they like.

Perhaps it's the wordng - as much as they need should be the byword - makes it seem less of a challenge.

As long as said potatoes are not dripping in butter or fried in goose fat of course;)

I understood that our appetite was the recommended portion control and sw do advise everything in moderation.

Changing the wording to need would/wouldn't have defined it differently to me as I could find a need for food at any time!

I think if you trust the plan and stick to it it will work! They aren't trying to trick us they really have done a lot of the hard work like measuring for us!

I understood that our appetite was the recommended portion control and sw do advise everything in moderation.

Changing the wording to need would/wouldn't have defined it differently to me as I could find a need for food at any time!

I think if you trust the plan and stick to it it will work! They aren't trying to trick us they really have done a lot of the hard work like measuring for us!

I agree, perhaps it's the perception or interpretation of the plan? - we've all seen the threads where new SW'ers use the phrase (as much as I want).

In my defence I'm a bloke - I actually read the SW manual;), but I function better when following a plan or a target. That's why I like numbers lol.

Steve

Back