Potato-Spinach Curry

missy1978

Big Bird
As requested, Potato and Spinach curry recipe paraphrased below! It's from Appetite for Reduction, my new favourite recipe book and was very tasty indeed as well as being a doddle to cook. Oddly for me I didn't feel the need to mess with the original recipe at all although I might add some chickpeas for a bit of protein next time I cook it.

(Recipe serves 6 so I halved all the quantities below when I cooked it. The halved version served me and husbandface who eats like a horse lol and I couldn't finish mine)

1 tbsp mustard seeds
1 small onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp grated fresh ginger
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (I assume this means chilli flakes? American recipes do confuse me!)
2 plum tomatoes, chopped (I used tinned)
1 tbsp curry powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups vegetable stock
2 pounds potato, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
1 pound chopped frozen spinach
1 tbsp lime juice

Preheat pan and add frylight. Add mustard seeds, put lid on and let them pop for a minute (if they don't pop, turn the heat up!). Add onions and cook for 5 mins. Add more frylight as needed. Add garlic, ginger and pepper flakes and cook for another minutes. Add tomatoes (this should deglaze the pan) and cook for 3 mins, then add curry powder, cumin and salt. Add potatoes and stock (it's ok if they aren't fully covered by the stock). Put the lid on and bring to the boil, once boiling lower heat to a simmer and cook for 15 mins. Add spinach and cook for 5 mins or until spinach is thawed. Mix well and cool for another 10 mins. Add lime juice, more spice to taste and serve.

I used medium curry powder and it was spot on for me heat-wise but if you like a really hot curry you might want to add more than the recipe says.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• image-2674939976.jpg
    image-2674939976.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 333
missy1978 said:
As requested, Potato and Spinach curry recipe paraphrased below! It's from Appetite for Reduction, my new favourite recipe book and was very tasty indeed as well as being a doddle to cook. Oddly for me I didn't feel the need to mess with the original recipe at all although I might add some chickpeas for a bit of protein next time I cook it.

(Recipe serves 6 so I halved all the quantities below when I cooked it. The halved version served me and husbandface who eats like a horse lol and I couldn't finish mine)

1 tbsp mustard seeds
1 small onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp grated fresh ginger
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (I assume this means chilli flakes? American recipes do confuse me!)
2 plum tomatoes, chopped (I used tinned)
1 tbsp curry powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups vegetable stock
2 pounds potato, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
1 pound chopped frozen spinach
1 tbsp lime juice

Preheat pan and add frylight. Add mustard seeds, put lid on and let them pop for a minute (if they don't pop, turn the heat up!). Add onions and cook for 5 mins. Add more frylight as needed. Add garlic, ginger and pepper flakes and cook for another minutes. Add tomatoes (this should deglaze the pan) and cook for 3 mins, then add curry powder, cumin and salt. Add potatoes and stock (it's ok if they aren't fully covered by the stock). Put the lid on and bring to the boil, once boiling lower heat to a simmer and cook for 15 mins. Add spinach and cook for 5 mins or until spinach is thawed. Mix well and cool for another 10 mins. Add lime juice, more spice to taste and serve.

I used medium curry powder and it was spot on for me heat-wise but if you like a really hot curry you might want to add more than the recipe says.

Enjoy!

This sounds delicious, thanks for posting :)

WinkOfPink_ said:
I had this tonight it was delicious! The potatoes reminded me of bombay potatoes, yum! xx

Yay, glad you liked it. It's an awesome book, so many lovely recipes in there x

Looks fab! It's such a great recipe and cheap too. Need to cook it again soon myself! Glad you liked it :) x

Yeah, it basically is saag aloo which is one of my favourite things to eat :D Hope you enjoy!

Posting because this looks and sounds amazing and I want to come back for future reference YUM :)

Finally got round to making this! Same spices and flavourings but used Quorn chicken, mushrooms, peppers and spinach rather than the potato. Lots of superfree and so yummy :) x

Think i'll do this tonight :) Thanks xx

Finally got round to making this! Same spices and flavourings but used Quorn chicken, mushrooms, peppers and spinach rather than the potato. Lots of superfree and so yummy :) x

Nice variation! I'm going to try it with chickpeas and sweet potato next time :)

Back