Extra Easy Meatball masala

Miss Scarlett Blue

Silver Member
Meatball masala with baked curried cauliflower

This recipe is adapted from one I had seen online and makes a nice change from Italian style meatballs. It freezes well in portions. This recipe is syn free.

500g beef mince (5% fat)
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
pinch of chilli powder

2 onions, finely sliced
1 clove of garlic
1 carrot, thinly sliced
1 pepper, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
Handful of mushrooms, roughly chopped
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp garam masala
2 tsp turmeric
Salt and black pepper

Cauliflower florets
Curry powder of your choice

In a bowl, mix together the beef mince, egg, nutmeg and pinch of chilli powder and form into meatballs, then leave in the fridge to firm up. I use 1 tbsp per meatball and tend to get around 32 meatballs giving 8 per serving.

In a large frying pan sprayed with fry light, slowly cook the onions over a low heat for around 10 minutes. Add the garlic, cumin, garam masala and turmeric, stir well, and cook for about a minute.

Add the carrot, celery, mushrooms and red pepper to the pan along with the tin of tomatoes and around 200ml water. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, cover, and then reduce to a simmer and cook for 30-40 minutes. When cooked, blend until smooth. You can add some fat free natural yogurt at this stage if wanted. Return the sauce to the pan.

Cook the meatballs in a separate frying pan. Tip into the sauce once cooked, along with any juices.
I serve this with boiled rice and curried cauliflower. For the cauliflower: heat the oven to 180^C. Cut cauliflower into even florets. Spray an oven tray with fry light. Place the cauliflower on the tray and spray again. Sprinkle your choice of curry powder (I used a medium Tikka powder) and cook in the oven for around 45 minutes. Shake the tray part way through cooking.

Note - adjust spiced according to your taste. Instead of the spices in the sauce you could use 2 tbsp curry powder.

AA965296-46D2-4E76-A085-56BF471F0F4E.jpeg

Back