Question re scan bran cake?

jayde1148

Gold Member
I have been thinking why does sw endorse scan bran cake but quiche can only be eaten at meal times and couscous cakes are syns? I know years ago none of that was the case as my sister ate reworked stuff like that all the time and lost 9 stone! Or have I got it wrong and you can only eat it at meals like a pudding??

I think its because scan bran is a HEXB and the others are just free foods. If your using it as part of your HEXB then it would be ok, I guess?

yep scan bran is syns if you are not using it as a HEb, the other things are free foods, so could be eaten unlimited, hence why slimming world inforced the rule to prevent overindulging.

I dont think slimming world expected their members to be so inventive with free foods.

You can eat SW Quiche whenever you want. It's advised that Superfree food makes better snacks, but you can snack on free foods, healthy extras and syns too.

Jennyonaplate said:
You can eat SW Quiche whenever you want. It's advised that Superfree food makes better snacks, but you can snack on free foods, healthy extras and syns too.

Our consultant said quiche could only be had as part of a meal?

Not sure I could face scan bran cake but was intrigued!

We've been having this debate for a long time now! Officially SW say you shouldn't do it as it's changing the food eg when you grind chickpeas or use couscous as a flour substitute, but alo of consultants have also said that if you enjoy it and it doesn't affect your weightless then don't stop! Surely alot of the beauty of SW is that you can make it work for you!

I can really understand it with SW crisps and lasagne doritos, as those foods end up cooked in a different way to how we enjoy them 'free' and in meals on the plan. But I've always thought that the couscous cake was still as filling as a serving as cooked cous cous. I guess it depends on how much you eat, several women at a class I used to go to used to regularly claim that they ate one whole cake a day - doesn't matter what it's made of, that's never a healthy eating habit!

Anyway, I can't stand the couscous cake, so doesn't make much difference to me, although I do like that SW tries to move people away from the junk food habit, regardless of what it's made of.

Back