Questions for those that use the gym?

Mycroft

I'm having my gym induction in a few days, and I thought I'd ask some questions. If any of them seem a bit personal, feel free to skip them!

1. How much do you pay per month?

2. How much was your joining fee?

3. What do you get for your money?

4. How new are the facilities?

5. What do you wear to the gym?

6. What do you take in your gym bag?

7. Do you shower after working out?

8. Did you get a personalised program when you joined? If so, how effective has it been for you?

9. If you use a sauna/heat room, did you use it before or after your work out?

10. Do you enjoy going or does it become a chore after a while?

Thank you! :D

1. How much do you pay per month? £28

2. How much was your joining fee? One month plus £30 induction fee

3. What do you get for your money? Full use of gym, unlimted classes, swimming, badminton & tennis courts for hire and apparently golfing (though I have not done that)

4. How new are the facilities? I don't know, it's purpose built and in good nick though.

5. What do you wear to the gym? T-shirt or vest top with trackie bottoms or cycling shorts

6. What do you take in your gym bag? Water and small towel

7. Do you shower after working out? At home, our gym has crappy showering facilities.

8. Did you get a personalised program when you joined? If so, how effective has it been for you? Yep, I meet with the trainer for free every four weeks and get it updated too! I can really see it improving certain things, like my fitness and my bingo wings!

9. If you use a sauna/heat room, did you use it before or after your work out? There isn't one at my gym

10. Do you enjoy going or does it become a chore after a while? It isn't always easy to go, but I love the feeling of having been, if you know what I mean. LOL.

Here's mine for those that care...

£22.50.

£15

Use of all the facilities, sauna box, showers, free water and you get money off classes.

Brand new, everything is barely used!

Havn't been yet, but I'm in the market for trainers, a sports bra, t-shirts, vest tops and sweat pants.

Towel, mini bottles of shampoo, conditioner, shower gel and cocoa butter, feminine hygine products, spare socks, phone and iPod with an armband.

I plan to!

8. Did you get a personalised program when you joined? If so, how effective has it been for you?
There is a program made for you when you join.

I looked it up, and apparently you're supposed to use it after.

No idea! When I had access to the school gym I loved using the machines....

1. How much do you pay per month? £59 (it is pretty posh!)

2. How much was your joining fee? £45

3. What do you get for your money? Unlimited use of gym, pool etc, classes, reduced cost of treatments and reduced cost of tennis and squash. I also got an hours creche time included a day for my little boy.

4. How new are the facilities? It all seems pretty new, the pool has been there for years but has been refurbished and looks like new.

5. What do you wear to the gym? My other half's t-shirt, tracksuit bottoms, sports bra and trainers.

6. What do you take in your gym bag? Gym kit, swimsuit, couple of towels, shampoo etc.

7. Do you shower after working out? Yep, they are nicer than my home one!

8. Did you get a personalised program when you joined? If so, how effective has it been for you? Yep, gets reviewed every 3 months or if you ask. Has been quite effective so far.

9. If you use a sauna/heat room, did you use it before or after your work out? After a work out I tend to swim, and then use hot tub, sauna and steam room.

10. Do you enjoy going or does it become a chore after a while? I enjoy it onceI get there, but can be a chore actually leaving the house!

Nothing, but should be £52

Again, nothing, don't think there is one

Full gym, which is huge, power plates, trx machines, weights and usual cardio machines. Women only area. All classes, swimming pool, kids pool, sauna, steam room, sonarium and jacuzzi/spa pool. Free Internet in cafe area too.

Not sure but all clean and well maintained. Looks brand spanking new.

Normally cropped tracky bottoms, sports bra and vest top.

Small towel, bath towel, swimming cossie, Shampoo, conditioner.

Swim/spa first then shower.

Didn't have one done but could if I wanted. Also access to personal trainers on site (chargeable)

Always after.

Love going but rarely get chance between work, housework and kids :(

Sent from Laura's iPhone using MiniMins

1. How much do you pay per month? £30

2. How much was your joining fee? £0

3. What do you get for your money? Gym, pool, classes.

4. How new are the facilities? Old and new parts both equally as good/nice.

5. What do you wear to the gym? Sports top, joggy type bottoms, and trainers. (id say really take your time over your trainers if you are going to be running, i had bad trainers and had a swolen ankle for weeks)

6. What do you take in your gym bag? bottle of water, ipod, towel, bikini, bobble for my hair!

7. Do you shower after working out? i shower between gym and pool, have a quick rinse and shower properly at home, thats just me being fussy though.

8. Did you get a personalised program when you joined? If so, how effective has it been for you? didnt get one (did have the choice)

9. If you use a sauna/heat room, did you use it before or after your work out? after (its like my treat for getting through the work out)

10. Do you enjoy going or does it become a chore after a while? I really look forward to going except if i have been working then it feels like a chore (because i just want some food and to go to bed)

1. How much do you pay per month? £36

2. How much was your joining fee? Free

3. What do you get for your money? Gym, Yoga classes, Fitness classes, swimming pool, jacuzzi and sauna

4. How new are the facilities? A few years old

5. What do you wear to the gym? Sometimes jogging bottoms and t-shirt - other times lycra capri pants and fitted vest. Depends on mood and what clean

6. What do you take in your gym bag? Water, gym card, £1 coin for locker, keys and phone. (Not a lot)

7. Do you shower after working out? Not til I get home

8. Did you get a personalised program when you joined? If so, how effective has it been for you? No - didn't do it.

9. If you use a sauna/heat room, did you use it before or after your work out? I used to use the pool and jacuzzi after, but now just want to get home and EAT.

10. Do you enjoy going or does it become a chore after a while? I LOVE it

By the way - I rarely go in the actual gym part. I stick to classes and have really been suprised at which ones I've most enjoyed (esp body combat). It keeps things varied, fun and you have someone there to keep the pace going when you might flag on your own.

1. How much do you pay per month? Free

2. How much was your joining fee? zero

3. What do you get for your money? 48 gyms and 12 pools

4. How new are the facilities? a new one is in the process of being built

5. What do you wear to the gym? leggins baggy t shirt trainers

6. What do you take in your gym bag? dont take one

7. Do you shower after working out? Yes but at home

8. Did you get a personalised program when you joined? If so, how effective has it been for you? Yes I follow it

9. If you use a sauna/heat room, did you use it before or after your work out? N/A

10. Do you enjoy going or does it become a chore after a while? Enjoy

Thank you!

I use my local authority gym.

It's £70 a month for a couple, so technically £35.

Nothing - and I don't have a contract. I can cancel any time I like without financial penalty.

Use of the gym, all aerobics classes, olympic and 25m swimming pools.

Quite new - the place was entirely refurbished about a year ago.

Running shoes, trackie bottoms, sports bra and cotton t-shirt. The running shoes were the only expensive thing - everything else is primark or asda.

Bottle of water, small towel, headphones (most of the exercise machines have a headphone port where you can listen to the radio or the TVs).

No - I go to the gym after work, so I usually wait until later that evening and have a lovely hot bubble bath :) I go to the gym with my boyfriend, so I'm not too fussed about being stinky, lol - we both are!

It was an option, but I chose not to get one - the gym staff are very buff and blokey and I didn't feel entirely comfortable sharing my weight etc. with them, to be honest! But I've used a gym before in the past so I know how the machines work etc. already.

Nope - our gym doesn't have one.

I love going! I'm really enjoying trying out new classes, and I love the buzz that I get after working out. If you vary your workout enough, you won't get bored. It really helps with my mood as well - and I'm much fitter than I was, so I can go up a flight of stairs, for example, without being a red-faced sweaty mess now.

£22

£0

Peak gym, swimming, sauna and (crappy) classes
<5 years

Technical t-shirt (wicks sweat away) and either shorts or 3/4 running leggings. Sports bra and running trainers.

Water, towel, gym card, money for locker, ipod

Yes, I am drenched.

No, I made up my own.

n/a

Sometimes I love it, sometimes hate it, usually depending on how tired I am generally. I find it impossible to motivate myself when I'm tired so just don't bother!

£23

£8

Fitness suite, all classes, pool, sauna, steam, gymnasium, badminton and squash

About 5 years old

Cropped trackies, vest top, sports bra, trainers

Water bottle, ipod, gym clothes, headphones, deodorant, hairbrush

I have a bubble bath when I get home.

8. Did you get a personalised program when you joined?
Yes. I tend to mix it up though to keep things fresh. I also go to a lot of classes so don't always have time to fit in the full work out before.

Sauna and steam after. Such a treat.

I love going. I go straight after work and sometimes I think I can't be arsed but once I get there I love it!

1. How much do you pay per month? EUR63( normal for a Dublin gym)

2. How much was your joining fee? EUR29

3. What do you get for your money? Gym, pool, sauna,steam room, jacuzzi, power plates, classes, 6 week personal training program

4. How new are the facilities? All brand new

5. What do you wear to the gym? Three quarter length leggins, vest or Tshirt, sportsbra, trainers

6. What do you take in your gym bag? bottle of water, ipod, towel, swim costume, flip flops, toiletries, change of clothes

7. Do you shower after working out? i shower between gym and pool & then have a full shower & wash my hair after pool

8. Did you get a personalised program when you joined? If so, how effective has it been for you? Got a 6 week personal training program & it was AMAZING

9. If you use a sauna/heat room, did you use it before or after your work out? after (its like my treat for getting through the work out)

10. Do you enjoy going or does it become a chore after a while? I get so excited about working our because I feel fantastic, I can see great results quickly & the staff really care & are so motivating, I'm def getting what I pay for!!

10. Do you enjoy going or does it become a chore after a while? I enjoy it onceI get there, but can be a chore actually leaving the house!

Oohhhhh yes. I know that feeling (and mine's only 4 minutes walk from my house)

Lucky7 said:
Oohhhhh yes. I know that feeling (and mine's only 4 minutes walk from my house)

Have been known to drive to gym, put on workout gear, and still not actually work out' i gave up my membership cos i figured if i hated it that much it wasn't worth it.
Have to say - you all seem to have got great deals on membership - cheapest around where i live is £55 a month and near work is £75!!

I'm having my gym induction in a few days, and I thought I'd ask some questions. If any of them seem a bit personal, feel free to skip them!

1. £37.50 because I work for the council I get a discount.
2. No joining fee.
3. The place is open from 6:30am - 10:30pm, I can go in any time I like. I get gym, exercise classes, swimming, sauna, jacuzzi, I think I can rent tennis and squash courts too (obviously don't do that, lol!!!).
4. The gym equipment is well maintained and regularly cleaned. The swimming pool is well presented. Everywhere looks clean. The floors in the studio are always shiney. No idea how new stuff is but they look after it well.
5. I wear jogging bottoms, a tight vest top to push my boobs into my armpits, t-shirt, trainers.
6. I take my water bottle, a towel to wipe down the equipment after I've used it and to wipe my feeble brow, lol! My mp3 player and kindle for entertainment. Arm band to put my mp3player in when I'm weight lifting. Plus 20p for the locker.
7. I never shower at the gym, I go home and do that.
8. I got a personalised programme, it's been great and I review it every month free of charge.
9. I've never used the sauna, I'm all about the exercise... I'll relax when I'm thin, lol!
10. My attendance has been up and down. I had a dip xmas time and new year because it was like a new years resolution bomb had gone off in there!!! Now it's quiet again my attendance has increased.

Hope this helps x

1. How much do you pay per month? £16.99

2. How much was your joining fee? £25

3. What do you get for your money? 24/7 access to the gym, all gym equipment, free classes, showers

4. How new are the facilities? Less than a year

5. What do you wear to the gym? Leggings and t shirt

6. What do you take in your gym bag? Padlock, water bottle, small towel, gym clothes and trainers if not coming from home. I phone

7. Do you shower after working out? no I go home

8. Did you get a personalised program when you joined? If so, how effective has it been for you? You get an induction (I didn't so don't know what that entails) there are PT's but they're pricey

9. If you use a sauna/heat room, did you use it before or after your work out? Pure Gym doesn't have saunas or pools

Chore! Interesting that someone takes a Kindle, I was thinking about audio books for my iphone, can't bear music unless I'm in the mood.

Free (gym at work)

Free (works package)

use of cross trainers, weights, bikes, treadmills and rowing machines. Should point out use of trainers and personally designed workouts

Trainers shorts t shirt

trainers

No, straight home and bath

Yes, excellent!

N/A

A bit of both - after work is a chore when you want to get home, or on a Saturday when you could be doing other stuff. Once into it though it is very therapeutic.

You're welcome:p

kingleds said:
Have to say - you all seem to have got great deals on membership - cheapest around where i live is £55 a month and near work is £75!!

I agree!!!! Mines £125 for couple and we're thinking of leaving as we're not even at home all the time!!!

Oh and at my gym there's no membership, you can opt out whenever and even freeze it for a month!

Back